Re: Solidoodle again appears to violate GPL V3 licence

Bump.

I'm going to bump this bitch to raise some more awareness, regardless of bumping on the same day. This needs to be bumped until these questions get answered.

Bump.

Maybe the SD crew just missed this thread????

Bump.

Thanks for keeping this up.

It's definitively a shame on Solidoodle.

Tomek wrote:

Thanks for keeping this up.

It's definitively a shame on Solidoodle.

Can we clarify the question?

Adrian wrote:

ut it would be good to hear the other concerns raised in this thread addressed, particularly the areas around how exactly Solidoodle is actively embracing open source etc.

Keenly await further details from you...

Is this what you mean? Can someone make a list of questions, and we'll be glad to answer them.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

You mean like this?

elmoret wrote:
solijohn wrote:
jstarne1 wrote:

@Antron , i checked my box , nope nothing about licenses and stuff in my box either , i got a invoice / packing slip that showed what was in the box. Hmm sounds like a trend here.  I also from the manufacturer have a warped print bed , took pics to prove and sent to solidoodle , didn't get a new one.

We only just now started shipping the license information. That means, you wont see Solidoodles with the docs for a week.

I believe it is taped to the extruder.

So if I am reading this correctly, Solidoodle was out of compliance with the GPL license for roughly 30 months? Does anyone know the penalty for violation of the GPL license? Can the right to use the software in question be revoked?

The "Firmware URL" (http://www.solidoodle.com/how-to-2/how- … e-firmware) section of the firmware 6142013 which is what is posted on Solidoodle's site as of yesterday links to a depreciated page, not the license info itself - so that doesn't count either.

elmoret wrote:

Questions for Sam:

1.) When did you first read/become aware of the GPL license?
2.) When did the licenses page go live?
3.) When did Solidoodle start including the license in paperwork with the products?
4.) Which products is the license included with?

Why were these questions avoided?

Does it bother anyone else how Solidoodle and its employees are so unapologetic and unwilling to take responsibility for this? Of course, they do "love and support the open source community"... roll ...Solidoodle won't even tell people what size the machine screws on the extruder are. Hardly a trade secret.

New question for Sam - add it to the list above.

What exactly has your company done to "love and support" the open source community?

Bump

Bump, keeping it at the top.

Bump

37 (edited by ItoldyousoSanders 2014-04-30 10:46:51)

HA.  I'm sure they still ship printers that have design defects as well...pretty abusive company imo.  #reprap

Bump.

If the allegations are true, and the GPL has any teeth, isn't it just a matter of having an attorney send a letter threating suit to get them to comply? What would constitute compliance, putting a post card in the box and posting some files on an ftp site? What reason would they have for not being compliant, is it an oversight or is it nefarious?

foofoodog wrote:

If the allegations are true, and the GPL has any teeth, isn't it just a matter of having an attorney send a letter threating suit to get them to comply? What would constitute compliance, putting a post card in the box and posting some files on an ftp site? What reason would they have for not being compliant, is it an oversight or is it nefarious?

We are already in compliance.

At this point, what people want is for Sam to disclose how long we *might* have been out of compliance. Or what Sam meant by supporting the open source community.

It is already firmly established that we comply with the license at this point. If there is any doubt to that effect I can send pictures of the line guys shipping the license notifications.

Anything that ships with a motherboard gets the license.

We're not out to hurt anyone. We have literally no motivation to be disingenuous about the license. The information is clearly stated on our website. A quick google of "Solidoodle License" also yields clear information about the license, as well as source files. The motherboard itself has license information written on it.

We have never lied about the authorship of Marlin.

The entire source of this is that people were worried that we were not sending out physical references to the license information with every printer. We do that.

As for the other questions, I'll see if I can get Sam to answer those. But for the time being, I shall re-iterate:

We are in full compliance.

Bump.

Bump

The bumpers are very likely a lot more hard core into the open source thing than I am and perhaps even have a vested interested in seeing it taken very seriously, and I suppose we all do to some extent since without it many great things would not
exist.

As a casual observer though I wonder what all the fuss is about. As a customer I knew the firmware at least was based on open source before I bought the machine and figured if I had an interest in hacking it I could get it. Though I never looked into that and it did not really figure into the purchase.

So what if Sam gives the mea culpa that is being demanded here, what then?

No harm no foul. Otherwise, prove there was harm, quantify it and seek relief. A subpoena might work better than bumping a thread on a hobbyist message board. With all do respect, put up or shut up.

The reason for bumping is awareness. A subpoena wouldn't help there.

Solidoodle is a company that willfully disregarded licensing requirements for years, only coming into compliance when enough people complained about it. Sam, their CEO, has said they "love and support the open source community", but failed to provide examples when asked.

To me, that is something that should factor into a buying decision. If I knew then what I know now, there's no chance I would have purchased a Solidoodle.

As for open source being taken seriously, Marlin/Sailfish/Printrboard/Sanguinololu/RAMPS/Rumba/Melzi are all open source, and comprise over 90% of the controller/firmware market. Without them, 3D printers would not be anywhere near where they are today. Do you think Solidoodle could have hired a PCB engineer or a firmware engineer in their early days? No way. I doubt they could have purchased a copy of Altium.

Hobbyist 3D printing is where it is today due to standing on the shoulders of giants like Joem, Erik, and Kliment, just to name a few. Willful disregard for the credit and licensing of their hard work should absolutely be something a consumer is aware of when choosing a printer to purchase.

elmoret wrote:

If I knew then what I know now, there's no chance I would have purchased a Solidoodle.

So tell them you were duped and ask for your money back. Or start a class action suit. Easy case, they made profit by saying they were GPL when they were not, if that can be proven.

I think what I am hearing from you is that there is no other recourse short of SD leaving the market due to no sales from a bad rep. That seems drastic.

It looks like the GPL community force worked and that a company that allegedly was non-complaint, is now toeing the line.

46 (edited by adrian 2014-05-07 08:54:57)

foofoodog wrote:

It looks like the GPL community force worked and that a company that allegedly was non-complaint, is now toeing the line.

Partially compliant (Sanguinololu schematics for the reworked/rebadged SD motherboard are where ?)

And only compliant because Someone yelled. Same way they only became compliant with the Printrboards after much public commentary. Took weeks of a thread here before they suddenly came into compliance. The lack of GPL notificiation was raised back then, and ignored.. until the latest round.. when again, after a few weeks, they 'suddenly' where in compliance and making statements about loving and embracing Open Source (but only after they are caught out multiple times about not correct loving or embracing it... ) So the only things that have been bought into compliance, are the things that strangely have been vocalized publicly. And not once, but multiple occasions. Not a single act of compliance has been bought about by Solidoodle preemptively or of their own accord. It is only after pressuring them.

I find it difficult to award a gold star for compliance when essentially, I have been acting as Solidoodles Compliance Officer... I raise it, ride it, push it, and voila... they'll fix it.... and then act like its always been that way wink I mean... 2.5 years to start complying with the little slip of paper inside the printer when it ships!?!??! And then making statements that 'you've checked and they are there' whilst not offering any apology to the community or explanation as to why they were never there in the first place.........

As for why it matters - If you have actively or otherwise do contributed to Open Source, you'd understand why its disheartening when people use the work that has often very little in the form of requirements to comply with for commercial gain, and then play games about it. I'm sure you can feel it starts to appear borderline deceitful when it happens repeatedly from the same organisation.

Overall - it also seems a long long way from 'loving and embracing' open source when until a few weeks ago  they didn't even comply with the most fundamental GPL principles. And then there was the time before that they didn't comply either. Oh and the time before that, that they still aren't compliant for, over the Sang's.

*shrug*

If you have actively or otherwise do contributed to Open Source, you'd understand why its disheartening when people use the work that has often very little in the form of requirements to comply with for commercial gain, and then play games about it. I'm sure you can feel it starts to appear borderline deceitful when it happens repeatedly from the same organisation.

Yes and No.

About 8 years ago there was a big fad about modifying xbox360 controllers to have a 'turbo' button. The term for such a thing was called rapidfire controller. When this started, people were programming microchips to send a repeated high speed pulse to the trigger of the controller, and charging about $30 a 'kit' (read: a $1 chip with some wire) where the code was simply a single speed pulse. I thought this was outrageous.

I made up my own code, which had multiple speeds, flashed LEDs for feedback, and could be turned on/off easily. I posted this code and instructions as open-source. Real open-source, as in I did not care about GPL licencing and all of that. The first place it was posted was on the PIC microchip support forums. The thread has since gotten 750,000 hits, 2000+ replies, with the code itself over 15,000 downloads. I also posted the code on other forums for Xbox enthusiasts. My Mediafire has reported over 20,000 downloads.

Now, since that code was posted, people have been selling this code and/or kits for alot of money. And I never got credit. I never even made a single dime. And I never intended to. I would have to be a complete idiot to think that people would NOT profit off of open-source releases. And trying to 'protect' it under some licence is a joke, since modifying the source should entitle one to claim ownership to some extent.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

Hazer, that's great that you chose to release work without a license. That's something I've done myself as well.

However, in this case the authors have released it under a license, a license which in the case of Solidoodle, hasn't been honored. That's a bit like agreeing to do some consulting for xxxx dollars, and then at the end of the contract the company deciding not to compensate you.

These authors chose the licenses they wanted to use. Solidoodle had a choice: Use the open source hardware and firmware while honoring the license, or don't. They picked a third option (use the work, don't honor the license) and that's what people have problems with.

adrian wrote:
foofoodog wrote:

Partially compliant (Sanguinololu schematics for the reworked/rebadged SD motherboard are where ?)

And only compliant because Someone yelled. Same way they only became compliant with the Printrboards after much public commentary. Took weeks of a thread here before they suddenly came into compliance. The lack of GPL notificiation was raised back then, and ignored.. until the latest round.. when again, after a few weeks, they 'suddenly' where in compliance and making statements about loving and embracing Open Source (but only after they are caught out multiple times about not correct loving or embracing it... ) So the only things that have been bought into compliance, are the things that strangely have been vocalized publicly. And not once, but multiple occasions. Not a single act of compliance has been bought about by Solidoodle preemptively or of their own accord. It is only after pressuring them.

I find it difficult to award a gold star for compliance when essentially, I have been acting as Solidoodles Compliance Officer... I raise it, ride it, push it, and voila... they'll fix it.... and then act like its always been that way wink I mean... 2.5 years to start complying with the little slip of paper inside the printer when it ships!?!??! And then making statements that 'you've checked and they are there' whilst not offering any apology to the community or explanation as to why they were never there in the first place.........

As for why it matters - If you have actively or otherwise do contributed to Open Source, you'd understand why its disheartening when people use the work that has often very little in the form of requirements to comply with for commercial gain, and then play games about it. I'm sure you can feel it starts to appear borderline deceitful when it happens repeatedly from the same organisation.

Overall - it also seems a long long way from 'loving and embracing' open source when until a few weeks ago  they didn't even comply with the most fundamental GPL principles. And then there was the time before that they didn't comply either. Oh and the time before that, that they still aren't compliant for, over the Sang's.

*shrug*

The schematics are here, and have been here for quite some time http://www.solidoodle.com/solidoodle-mo … -firmware/ - The "Solidoodle Motherboard" you refer to corresponds to these schematics.

The Sanguinololu was unmodified, and we haven't sold it in over a year. Repeat, we do not stock or sell the Sanguinololu, or anything like it, and do not intend to ever sell them again.

We have never lied about the authorship of the boards.

As an observer with no skin in the game (other than owning a SD3), this whole thread seems like a bit of a witch hunt. I don't think there is any doubt that Solidoodle was out of compliance for too long, however are now in compliance. Nothing can change what happened in the past, and I might argue that it's only because of the mistakes of the past that they are now compliant.

So what's the expectation here to "resolve" the issues?  Acknowledgment of non-compliance prior to such-and-such date? A formal apology?

I understand people being sensitive to the GPL not being followed, but harping on about what happened in the past won't change it.