Topic: Can't get ABS to stick to glass!

I seem to have the opposite problem as everyone else. My prints (using a brim) stick to the kapton perfectly, but since my tape is ripped in a couple of places, I tried switching to glass.  I haven't been able to gets. Single thing to stick past a few minutes.  I'm using about 5mm glass, sprayed well with extra hold hairspray, with the plate heated to 105, and the extruder heated to 210.  Everything is in an acrylic enclosure and is tasty warm.

When printing, it will lay the brim down, will move onto the actual print, then the brim will start to lift. As it continues, it just gets worse, and the print itself will lift.  I finally have to kill the job before it comes completely off of the bed.  I've even tried taping the brim down with painter's tape. 

Am I missing something here?  I've tried varying stages of closeness to the glass (Z stop).

Thanks

Shawn

Re: Can't get ABS to stick to glass!

Try abs dissolved into some acetone, hairspray isn't really effective for ABS.
Maybe also try knocking up your bed temp to 110 and letting it soak up the heat for 5-10 minutes before printing.

This is a crowd funding thing that I'm running: http://www.gofundme.com/bvi140 It's for pretty selfish reasons tongue

Does this happen with everything you print or are you having a problem with certain files? I'm using glass with Aquanet hairspray and only have problems with large solid square parts lifting these days. I've found adding circles to the corners of the large flat pieces for the first couple of layers can help them stick better.

Good luck,

TiM

I use an Elmer's glue stick instead of hairspray. After printing I remove the borosilicate glass and let it cool on a trivet. It cools quickly and you can hear the print come loose as it shrinks. I like the glue stick better than hairspray as there is no over spray and you can put the glue exactly where it is needed.

SD2 Expert stock, ABS fume fan,
XYZ DaVinci 1.0 stock ABS, Simplify3D
QUBD Two-Up PLA, new 3D printed X gantry, Y idler, flex z coupler, extruder mount, E3D Lite

Just out of curiosity, are you allowing the hairspray to thoroughly dry before printing?
I only ask because I've been impatient a couple times and had the same problem.

As a last resort, ABS slurry or glue DO work. But I usually run at 95c with just hairspray and in peachy keen! But hairspray, glue, and slurry/sauce only work if the Z has been properly calibrated for the glass you added.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

+1 Elmer's gluestick.  I use the washable 'disappearing purple'.  When I clean up the object (in preparation for painting or vapor bathing) with warm water, any residual glue turns purple again, making it easy to see and remove.

I've actually been battling the same issue as Skyminer - the hairspray just wasn't the ticket, maybe I should try some more brands (any Australian Coles/Woolies recommendations? I'm using the big hot-pink one: Wella Pro-Fix Max Hold).

ABS+acetone is playing very nicely now, although I'm keeping epic brims for good measure (and it's fun peeling parts out like an airfix model...).

Any advice on improving stickiness would be welcome, I feel that I must be missing something here. My current settings:
* Stock Extruder, first layer temp 210C, other layers 200C
* Bed temp 110C (constant, well soaked)
* Glass, well levelled, various surface preps tried as above
* Layer height 0.30mm (first layer also set to 0.30mm)
* Wall width (normal perimeters) 0.48mm (newish SD3, D0.40mm nozzle - free-air extrusion corroborates), calibrated
* First layer width 0.60mm (made higher to try and tackle this issue, figure they'd be squishier - also, should I be doing these as %?)
* Reasonably well-covered box (internal ambient measured around 38C mid-print)

Anything obvious I should be trying?

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

8 (edited by adrian 2014-03-17 15:44:43)

Yup - PEI (or Polyethermide ) ...

(Post explaining all coming soon... big_smile  Consider this a frustrating teaser wink And no - not bog standard Ultem  smile )

grob wrote:

I've actually been battling the same issue as Skyminer - the hairspray just wasn't the ticket, maybe I should try some more brands (any Australian Coles/Woolies recommendations? I'm using the big hot-pink one: Wella Pro-Fix Max Hold).

ABS+acetone is playing very nicely now, although I'm keeping epic brims for good measure (and it's fun peeling parts out like an airfix model...).

Any advice on improving stickiness would be welcome, I feel that I must be missing something here. My current settings:
* Stock Extruder, first layer temp 210C, other layers 200C
* Bed temp 110C (constant, well soaked)
* Glass, well levelled, various surface preps tried as above
* Layer height 0.30mm (first layer also set to 0.30mm)
* Wall width (normal perimeters) 0.48mm (newish SD3, D0.40mm nozzle - free-air extrusion corroborates), calibrated
* First layer width 0.60mm (made higher to try and tackle this issue, figure they'd be squishier - also, should I be doing these as %?)
* Reasonably well-covered box (internal ambient measured around 38C mid-print)

Anything obvious I should be trying?

Here is what I do when I am going to print an unusually large and difficult print.
Good brim is always helpful but past 4 or 5mm's there is no benefit. 
Set that first layer lower than your normal width and decrease your Z-height.  I actually run my nozzle right on the glass for all my prints first layer.  I have a Bulldog XL now but I also did this with the stock extruder and the E3D.  This will take some trial and error to get just right.  I haven't re-leveled my bed or adjusted my Z-height (other than if a mod required me to do so) in close to a year.
Aqua-net is the preferred brand of hairspray and it takes a couple of light coats with heat cool cycles in between.  The only time I need to re apply is if I decide to clean the glass.  I have only done that once and I should have left it dirty.

Think about how well that skirt loop sticks as it first starts and the filament isn't flowing fully yet.  If yours isn't sticking well then your Z-Height needs to be closer to the nozzle.
I know there will be others that will disagree with this approach.  That being said I never have a sticking issue of any kind and my prints won't come off the glass until it cools.
It looks like your temps are where they should be but that first layer height is most likely the cause of your problems. If you set the Z-height with a .xx gap between your nozzle and the glass then have a first layer height of .30 you are ending up with .xx+.30 distance between your nozzle and your glass bed.  That first layer needs to be squished good and flat on your glass. 
If a single line looks like a round string you need to decrease your Z.  If that same line is flat but curls a little on one edge you are extruding to much filament.  This is where you can manipulate the first layer width numbers to get a really nice flat line on the glass that will stick.

I hope this helps.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Serin wrote:

Try abs dissolved into some acetone, hairspray isn't really effective for ABS.

Works for me, but it is finicky

AZERATE wrote:

Just out of curiosity, are you allowing the hairspray to thoroughly dry before printing?
I only ask because I've been impatient a couple times and had the same problem.

Yeah I noticed this too.  Long bake of the hairspray seems to help.  I have been doing a few thin layers with time to bake and a nice soak before starting.  Also, I know a lot of people say you should clean everytime, but I have been noticing using it over and over it still works fine.  Maybe even a little better.

Well, here's where I'm at.  I cleaned my glass completely and re-hit it with a couple of good layers of hairspray (TRESemme freeze hold.. I can't find Aquanet here), then let it all sit for 1/2 hr.  I then clipped it onto the bed, heated it up to 110, and let it sit another 1/2 hour in the machine, which is in an enclosure.  I adjusted the Z height so that the nozzle is right on the glass plate, and leveled everything carefully.

When printing at .3mm or .1mm, I don't even finish the 5mm brim before I need to kill the print because it's unstuck.  In both cases, I'm printing the brim slowly (30% speed), and thick to get lots of ABS on there (.35mm).  I did try less thickness for the 1st layer to see if it'd make any difference, and it seemed worse.. not as much ABS coming out to stick to the glass.  Even parts that have not risen from the glass are easily plucked off with tweesers. 

It's worth noting that when I used these same settings with just the kapton (before it ripped and I tried to switch to glass), everything printed successfully.

Skyminer wrote:

TRESemme freeze hold.. I can't find Aquanet here

...well that might matter.  When I tried the first thing I could find there was no success.  Something about its properties makes it rather sticky when it gets up to temp.  Its interesting it doesn't really start getting sticky until about 80-90, so obviously need that temp.

Dumb question, but when it's heated to 110 (or whatever temp the bed is at), should the glass feel sticky/tacky/gummy?

I just got my SD 2 weeks ago. I couldn't get ABS to stick so I added a glass plate and used 3m painters tape on the glass. No luck still. I started playing with PLA and it worked fine except for a head wobble. After about 5 or 6 prints and after I fixed my extruder wobble, I switched back to ABS. I had been printing ABS .2mm great for about 9 days then, I also made the mistake of changing the tape and am having sticking issues again.

I think I may switch up and do some more testing with PLA again. But it seems the more used your tape is the better it seems to work. That or the PLA is leaving some sort of residue or something. Anyone have any insight on this?

Skyminer wrote:

Dumb question, but when it's heated to 110 (or whatever temp the bed is at), should the glass feel sticky/tacky/gummy?

Not really.  There is some chemical in Aqua-net that works well with ABS.  It is mentioned some where here on the forum probably in the STICKY's somewhere.  I am wondering if the spray your using isn't the problem.  You might just try finding some with the same contents as aqua-net.  Also it is worth mention... I am not a believer in clips to hold the glass in place.  A little Aqua-net on the underside of the glass will stick it to the bed also.  I know that doesn't help if you can't get that but I bet there is an equivalent in your area.  You might be better off to try without any spray I have certainly printed that way successfully.
When you ran the nozzle on the glass are you sure it wasn't so tight that the extruder was unable to push filament out.
I am also wondering if your temps are accurate?  Have you verified them with another means of measuring?  Hotter filament on the first layer helps.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

Antron007 wrote:

I just got my SD 2 weeks ago. I couldn't get ABS to stick so I added a glass plate and used 3m painters tape on the glass. No luck still. I started playing with PLA and it worked fine except for a head wobble. After about 5 or 6 prints and after I fixed my extruder wobble, I switched back to ABS. I had been printing ABS .2mm great for about 9 days then, I also made the mistake of changing the tape and am having sticking issues again.

I think I may switch up and do some more testing with PLA again. But it seems the more used your tape is the better it seems to work. That or the PLA is leaving some sort of residue or something. Anyone have any insight on this?

Printing with ABS is not some magical process that only some are allowed to do.  When it comes to durability I feel that PLA falls well short of the task.  It is always easy to say I can't master ABS so I will just use PLA.  That is fine if PLA suits your needs. 
I assure you that ABS (once you dial it in and get it to stick) will become your go to filament for almost everything you want to print.

So make sure you have a nice good squish as it goes down.  That line should be two to three times the width of your nozzle diameter. if it isn't you aren't squishing it enough.  If you squish it too much your extruder won't be able to push past the resistance and you should be able to see it skip on the drive gear.

Thanks for the advise wardjr. I haven't given up on ABS. I've had a lot of luck with it up until a couple days ago when I changed my tape. I'm gonna try my theory of running a few PLA prints on the tape then going back to ABS again and see if it starts sticking again.   I may try hairspay on glass next. I've had luck with painters tape so I haven't needed to try that yet. I'm glad I know how to apply it properly now from reading this thread so, thanks for that guys. smile

Try ELMERS  purple glue stick. It really sticks! I was having a similar problem , now I have to, LOL "chistle" the parts off the glass.

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

Thanks for the tips wardjr and autoxer - I'll have a crack tonight with default first-layer wall width and paying attention to dialing in the z-stop and first-layer-height instead, I'll let you all know how it goes.

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper

So, I've done two decent (not too thick, as even as I could) coats with Wella Max Hold, baked in between 15mins or so.

So I had a couple of issues - the bed is a touch warped I think, back right corner not sticking too well. The glass is thin enough that over it's length a binder clip will bend it enough to affect the first layer at 0.20mm.

I've stuck the glass to the bed with a bit of hairspray instead, seems to work well, this should allow the glass to stay flat by not applying any force. Glad to be rid of the clips too, I've already driven into them a couple of times!

Levelling tip: by making a 160mm calibration cube with a skirt+brim, I trace a big square around the bed. Then you can cancel the print and measure the thickness of the skirt and determine whether the bed is level, and that the z-stop height is correct. I think this might be better even than a dial gauge (as they are difficult to attach rigidly enough to get meaningful readings), as it's much more direct!

I've settled on a 0.3mm first layer with 250% line width (0.75mm; a bit extreme!). I'm not getting squiggly edges, it's looking ok. Also, the 0.3mm thickness will be much more tolerant of 0.05mm variation in the bed height (which I think is a little inescapable with the current setup - now I can see why a polished granite block is a good idea: flatness!!).

I'll try a longer print with this setup, see how it goes...

Using Elmer's glue stick. Just remove the glass from the heated bed. As it cools the print will pop off all by itself in a minute or two. You can hear it snap off as the plastic shrinks. I have not needed to use any prying device to remove prints this way. Glass, Elmer's glue stick, remove glass, wait 2 minutes, done. Meanwhile you could have another print started.

SD2 Expert stock, ABS fume fan,
XYZ DaVinci 1.0 stock ABS, Simplify3D
QUBD Two-Up PLA, new 3D printed X gantry, Y idler, flex z coupler, extruder mount, E3D Lite

ggunners wrote:

Using Elmer's glue stick. Just remove the glass from the heated bed. As it cools the print will pop off all by itself in a minute or two. You can hear it snap off as the plastic shrinks. I have not needed to use any prying device to remove prints this way. Glass, Elmer's glue stick, remove glass, wait 2 minutes, done. Meanwhile you could have another print started.

The aqua-net works in a very similar fashion with one benefit.  I rarely have to re-apply it just cool, remove print and start another print job.  I will use a razor to slide under a print and pop it off if I am in a big hurry.

grob wrote:

So, I've done two decent (not too thick, as even as I could) coats with Wella Max Hold, baked in between 15mins or so.

So I had a couple of issues - the bed is a touch warped I think, back right corner not sticking too well. The glass is thin enough that over it's length a binder clip will bend it enough to affect the first layer at 0.20mm.

I've stuck the glass to the bed with a bit of hairspray instead, seems to work well, this should allow the glass to stay flat by not applying any force. Glad to be rid of the clips too, I've already driven into them a couple of times!

Levelling tip: by making a 160mm calibration cube with a skirt+brim, I trace a big square around the bed. Then you can cancel the print and measure the thickness of the skirt and determine whether the bed is level, and that the z-stop height is correct. I think this might be better even than a dial gauge (as they are difficult to attach rigidly enough to get meaningful readings), as it's much more direct!

I've settled on a 0.3mm first layer with 250% line width (0.75mm; a bit extreme!). I'm not getting squiggly edges, it's looking ok. Also, the 0.3mm thickness will be much more tolerant of 0.05mm variation in the bed height (which I think is a little inescapable with the current setup - now I can see why a polished granite block is a good idea: flatness!!).

I'll try a longer print with this setup, see how it goes...

This is exactly why I don't recommend the use of binders on the glass.  Looks to me like your making good progress towards a system that works for you.

i agree with ward jr if it isnt sticking with glass and hairspray move the nozzle closer. i use RAVE 4x MEGA 

the ingredients your looking for in the hairspray is Vinyl Neodecoate.  i believe its this that gives the nice texture

i usually clean my plate once a day and i can print on the plate all day with small reapplications here and there.

After changing the brand of hairspray I'm using, and increasing the first layer width the 175% of .3, it sticks. Rock solid.  Like others who use the hairspray method, I have to remove the glass and let it cool down to pop the object off.

Thanks for all of the tips and help everyone!