Topic: Adjusting Filament diameter

I've been able to adjust my filament diameter by adjusting the temp.  I thought I had read somewhere that you could also adjust the diameter by adjusting the voltage to the motor. 

I've tried doing some searches but can't find out how that is done.  I looked at the PID instructions but I can't figure out what most of the acronyms mean. 

I don't think I'm getting the feed rate that others are getting and was thinking about playing with the voltage.

Can someone give me the instructions on how to do that?  Is that a good idea?

Re: Adjusting Filament diameter

Its not a good idea. Exceeding 12 volts (the rated voltage of the motor) is going to accelerate wear on the brushes.

What material?
What temperature?
What diameter are you seeing?
What extrusion speed? (inches per minute)

Something I've been doing lately is insulating the entire barrel. This seems to improve speed 50-100%.

I had wondered about that.  I'm not an engineer so I didn't know for sure.

I'm extruding 3mm ABS at 171 degrees.  I just measured it and I'm getting about 3 inches per minute.  My diameter is pretty consistent around 3mm. 

Maybe I've to too much of a loop between the struder and the winder and it's pulling it too much.

171deg is way too cool for ABS.

Again - what speed are you seeing at 171C?

New questions:
Is the fan on? You can turn it off to get a decrease in diameter.
Failing that, you may need a slightly smaller nozzle. You need at least 180C to get decent extrusion speeds.

It's in my previous post.  I'm getting about 3 inches a minute

I do have the fan on.

I'm just using the nozzle that came with it, it was already drilled. 
I can try turning the fan off and the heat up.

Whoops - skipped over it with all the 3s.

3"/min at 3mm is about what I would expect actually. Most folks around here use 1.75mm, which extrudes about 3x faster linearly than 3mm, but about the same volumetrically.

If you bump to 180-185C, you should see closer to 4-5"/min.

The nozzle redrill is just a possible way forward. I was figuring you used a predrilled one, that hole diameter is a best guess on a number of parameters.

Finally, note that you don't have to hit 3mm. Most 3mm filament manufacturers actually aim for 2.85mm.

Thank you for your help.  I moved the fan to get more air at the end of the nozzle and bumped the temp to 175.  Last I checked I was getting about 4.5 inches a minute.  If that is what is expected then I'm good.

You can probably get more. 4-5 is the ballpark average, with tweaks you can probably get another 50%.

I have thought about drilling the nozzle out a but and bumping the temp up.  I have metric drill bits in .1 mm increments.  Worst case, I trash the nozzle and have to get another one.

Have you fully insulated the barrel? I've only tried it with ABS, but it seems to work well.

No, I only have the used the insulation for the end that came with the kit.  I'll have to get some tomorrow.  Thanks again.

No problem. I'm still experimenting with it, so I don't include it with kits or officially recommend it yet - bbut it seems to work well in the ~100 hours I've used it so far.