Topic: Ninjaflex on Solidoodle?

Have anyone tried Ninjaflex with Solidoodle? I recently bought a solidoodle 4, I don't have much experience with 3D printers, so please bear with me.

I'd like to be able to print with a flexible filament. I would like to know if the Ninjaflex would work with my solidoodle, but I can't find much info on the internet about the compatibility of the Ninjaflex with Solidoodle. Have anyone been able to try it out with the Solidoodle? Does it work? If so, besides the solidoodle and the Ninjaflex, what else would I need to print with this flexible material? Any additional hardware?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Ninjaflex on Solidoodle?

I have some Ninjaflex, but I haven't tried it yet and will be using it with a Bulldog extruder anyway.  Does your printer have the old style acrylic extruder or the new aluminum one?  The biggest problem with flexible filaments is bending and jamming in the space between the gear and the top of the hot end, so the more closely the filament is guided through that area the better.  The acrylic extruder would be better at that since it provides a closed channel all the way to the hot end opening. 

Other than that, most recommendations I have seen are to print slowly, no faster than maybe 30mm/s.  Some say to use no retraction, others say it's ok, but probably keep the retraction speed or distance short to avoid jerking the filament around too much.

IanJohnson wrote:

I have some Ninjaflex, but I haven't tried it yet and will be using it with a Bulldog extruder anyway.  Does your printer have the old style acrylic extruder or the new aluminum one?  The biggest problem with flexible filaments is bending and jamming in the space between the gear and the top of the hot end, so the more closely the filament is guided through that area the better.  The acrylic extruder would be better at that since it provides a closed channel all the way to the hot end opening. 

Other than that, most recommendations I have seen are to print slowly, no faster than maybe 30mm/s.  Some say to use no retraction, others say it's ok, but probably keep the retraction speed or distance short to avoid jerking the filament around too much.

I got the Solidoodle 4, which says on their description that an all-new extruder is included and says " Spring loaded Acrylic Extruder with stepper motor, .4mm nozzle". Does it sound that I will be able to print with a flexible filament such as the Ninjaflex right away?

I have had some success this weekend with ninjaflex on my solidoodle 2.
The attached photo is the elastic wristband that I just printed.

Nozzle temp: 197
    Anything hotter and I it just oozes out and portions of the print will collapse before it cools.
    Anything colder and the filament eventually buckles as it feeds faster than it can melt.
    I still get some oozing, but the prints look pretty good.

Bed temp: 40
I am using a glass bed.  I am getting good sticking, and the model peels off easily.

I changed all feed rates to 30 mm/s to avoid buckling of the filament.

In Slic3r, I changed enabled Print Settings>>Layers and perimeters>>Advanced>>Avoid crossing perimeters.
   I absolutely needed this with the early higher temperature prints to eliminate oozy threads.
I also enabled perimeters to make sure material was flowing properly when the actual print started.

I am using the lawsey replacement jigsaw extruder feed.

Post's attachments

ninjaflex band.jpg
ninjaflex band.jpg 41.41 kb, 1 downloads since 2014-03-16 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Oh, and I am using a Solidoodle 2

jeffreuter wrote:

I have had some success this weekend with ninjaflex on my solidoodle 2.
The attached photo is the elastic wristband that I just printed.

Nozzle temp: 197
    Anything hotter and I it just oozes out and portions of the print will collapse before it cools.
    Anything colder and the filament eventually buckles as it feeds faster than it can melt.
    I still get some oozing, but the prints look pretty good.

Bed temp: 40
I am using a glass bed.  I am getting good sticking, and the model peels off easily.

I changed all feed rates to 30 mm/s to avoid buckling of the filament.

In Slic3r, I changed enabled Print Settings>>Layers and perimeters>>Advanced>>Avoid crossing perimeters.
   I absolutely needed this with the early higher temperature prints to eliminate oozy threads.
I also enabled perimeters to make sure material was flowing properly when the actual print started.

I am using the lawsey replacement jigsaw extruder feed.

That's really cool. Thanks a lot for the info! I will be trying this in the following days. Do you use hairspray on your glass bed?

Hi! I'm also wondering how to print with the Sd4 Ninjaflex or Filaflex, as I think that you have to change a part of the extruder to print with Ninjaflex.

Anyone has more news about it?

I had some success last weekend with ninjaflex.  In order to print at all I had to add a short length OF PTFE tubing between the hot end and the drive gear.  The filament is VERY noodley so the tube has to fill ALL of the space in between.  I am running with my modified mk5 and a jhead knockoff that has a recessed  hex socket so I already had a tube inserted in the recess and just had to extend it.

As others have also mentioned, I still needed to turn down the speed greatly to prevent the filament from jumping out, and it seems to take awhile for the filament to compress enough to start extruding, so I got better result disabling retraction.

Still, some things don't work so well.  The extruded filament seems to want to form globs so partial infill didn't work well for me, and when I tried to print a part that had a narrow cylinder on to, the ninjaflex got dragged around by the extruder resulting in a lumpy post half the diameter I was trying for.

What size tubing did you use and where could I find some?  I have J-head knockoff too on my SD2.  This stuff is really "noodley" as someone said earlier

2mm ID PTFE, there's some in the E3D accessories section of my signature.

I have a solid doodle 2 and am trying to do the same thing too with ninga flex. 1st it appears the temp needs to be slite  above 210c-220 t it melts close to 135 -140c the e3d print head is able to raise up that high cause it fins of aluminum and fan keep heat confined to lower hot end . but then electronics of soliddoodle don't like the new parts the the resister of sol. is one way  pos neg sides. resist coil wires any dir. resistor wire coiled. also the thermisister must be dif. vlt. miliamp. anyway i erased firmware rebooted opensource to eeprom now controll is back but i still need to find a driver for hot end to be recognized go figure.

I have a solid doodle 2 and am trying to do the same thing too with ninga flex. 1st it appears the temp needs to be slite  above 210c-220 t it melts close to 135 -140c the e3d print head is able to raise up that high cause it fins of aluminum and fan keep heat confined to lower hot end . but then electronics of soliddoodle don't like the new parts the the resister of sol. is one way  pos neg sides. resist coil wires any dir. resistor wire coiled. also the thermisister must be dif. vlt. miliamp. anyway i erased firmware rebooted opensource to eeprom now controll is back but i still need to find a driver for hot end to be recognized go figure.

my solidoodle now thinks it a Mendal

the solid doodle 2 printer board Rev E. or AT90USB  mother board is a TeensyIU/printer board re install firm ware useing USB Sharealike 3.0  mendal ued the same .

i built a cool boden feed for it too and utilized the solid doodles extruder motor just mounted it out side case on the back .

if you want to work on   this tweak on the doodle come to my tech shop in Cypress TX. 77429 [email protected]

Does anyone have a STL file for te feed modification for the Solidoodle aluminum extruder?

Shouldn't need mods ; just slow down your print speed... thats the trade off with flexible...

19 (edited by poulan 2015-05-02 15:35:55)

I'm also having good results at 210C, not runny but quite slimy extrusion a lot more like ABS rather than PLA which is drier. But feeding is proving unreliable as the filament doubles and folds whilst being fed.

20 (edited by adrian 2015-05-02 15:27:27)

Slow your print and extrusion speed down.. Around 10-15% of normal print speed is typical for flexible

How many mm/s?

About 10% of whatever you have now.. Or just use the slider in RH set to 10%.

I'm printing at 35mm/s now so 3.5mm/s and this will be finished around the next ice age

24 (edited by adrian 2015-05-02 16:37:00)

Well.. 20Mm/s.. On extrusion particularly. You just can't print quickly with flex unless it's fully constrained in the extruder. This is the pay off for flexible.

20Mm/s is still more than 10% of stock speed anyway. But you have to go slow to feed reliably.. Its just how it is. If you want quick.. Don't use flex smile

25 (edited by poulan 2015-05-02 21:25:21)

Are you saying you usually print at 200mm/s? OMG

What temp are you printing the NF at? My extruder doesn't seem to go about 212C but that seems to do the job but I would have liked to have seen if a few degrees more would have yielded better results.