Topic: Space ship under construciton.

I have decided for my first big project to make a space fighter.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i157/PliskinAJ/3d%20Printer%202012/Ship.jpg
This is the original 3d model I made in inventor.

I figure I would break the model up in to at least 6 parts. The front/rear fuselage, each wing, the tail and elevator.

After 5 hours of printing I have this much done.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i157/PliskinAJ/3d%20Printer%202012/20121117_211051.jpg
You might not be able to to tell but I had the base of the front half lift off the pad. It hasn't shifted because of the weight of the part but I was wondering about any one's remedies to fix this. Would the solution be just put more hair spray on the plate?

Over all I have been really happy with this print so far. There has been some banding but heck its a 600 dollar printer. The quality is really close to the dimension I have at work and that one cost us well over 10k.

Has anyone tried heating the whole print volume up to around 150F or so? That is the way my work printer keeps the models from shrinking. I have a thermometer in the print area and its reading only 85F.

Re: Space ship under construciton.

I think the heated chamber is an excellent idea. I have recently been contemplating the best way of implementing it. Do you have any specific plans?

Cool space ship by the way.

Unfortunately no I don't have a plan on how to heat the print area. A heat gun would be too hot and couldn't last the hours required to get a print out that would need it. I also don't have a clue on how the rest of the infernals would take the heat.

For the actual print.... it failed. When I first started printing a few weeks ago I had a few breaks in the filament and I apparently didn't get them all out so I had a jam near the end of the print. I will give the ship another go after thanksgiving.

I might also put a hollow in the front half of the print to help control shrinkage because the second half that has less volume didn't pull off.

I got it all fixed up and I am going to recalibrate and print tomorrow.