1 (edited by dethcookie 2014-02-21 03:48:51)

Topic: Filastruder enclosure creaking?

Hey guys! I finally got my filastruder and filawinder up and running and have got about 10 hours logged on it. I'm using the enclosure and have it vertically mounted, much to my girlfriends dismay... I live in an apartment and the only available wall was in the kitchen (: I ran it for about 5 hours yesterday and 5 today. Today I noticed that it seems to be "creaking" every 5-10 seconds. It sounds like its the enclosure. I realize there's a lot of torque happening, but is this normal? I don't remember hearing it yesterday. I also realize some of the noise is sometimes an ABS pellet getting cut between the auger and the pipe, and the heater clicking on and off, but this sounds completely different. Do I have any reason to worry? Thanks!

Re: Filastruder enclosure creaking?

Nope, no reason to worry, except that polymer extrusion (or 3D printing) really shouldn't be done indoors. The instructions call for a well ventilated area - I suppose the kitchen qualifies if the vent fan is on!

Vent fan is indeed on! Also to my girlfriends dismay even MORE noise! Lol, thanks for the quick reply Tim!

What about the occasional high pitched squeak? I don't recall it doing that in the first 5-10 hours, but it does now about once every minute or so. I inspected the filament and it doesn't appear to have any metal or contaminants in it but I just started using some colorant so it's hard to tell.

Probably also fine.