1 (edited by AZERATE 2014-02-22 21:25:38)

Topic: E3D/Arduino/Marlin issues

Does Marlin need to be in a specific place?
Because anywhere I move the file and try to open through Arduino, it gives me the following notice:
The file "Marlin.pde" needs to be inside a sketch foled name "Marlin".
Create this folder, move the file, and continue?

I click OK.
But THEN:
Could not create the sketch folder

What am I doing wrong?? I'm dead in the water until I get this E3D up and running!! yikes

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

2 (edited by wardjr 2014-02-20 02:05:35)

Re: E3D/Arduino/Marlin issues

Check your PM in the mean time I'll see if I can't get you a screenshot.
edit: Listen to Adrian

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

In preference menu of Arduino it will list where your sketches folder is. Move the entire "Marlin" folder into that folder... On windows it's usually Documents/Arduino

Now Arduino is saying "Cannot find the main class: processing.app.Base. Program will exit.
I've uninstalled then reinstalled Arduino twice now. I have no idea what to do.

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

That's an arduino install issue... your on a mac?

Anyway. .. its arduino not the sketch thats erroring there now... so try making sure all of Arduino ide is uninstall ed and reintall it... and the sketch folder is not the same as the arduino install folder.

I'm on PC. I'm trying to find an "uninstall" file to completely wipe it out, and it isn't going too well. If I could totally delete it, reinstall it, and go through everything with "slightly" better software installation instructions, I would be golden.

Thanks in advance for anyone/everyone's patience in the past, present, and future with this dilemma.

Thanks for confirm re PC - the error message you describe is actually a mac filename often hence my confusion .

Anyway - There is no 'uninstall' app - all of arduino ide is contained in the folder as a result of unzipping the file.. delete that entire directory and its fine.

Where did you source your IDE from ? arduino.cc or using the file specified on the community-firmware github page ? Really all there should be to it is - download the zip file from github (as it has all teh hardware files installed into the arduino folder). Open up Arduino, go to Examples->Marlin , make your changes, save the file for later - or don't. Compile/upload/done.

I'm not really in a position for next few hours to assist - but if you're still stuck later tonight I'll see what I can do. Really, if all you want is a firmware with the higher tempreature and the correct Type 5 resistor selected (since I guess you just bought the E3D, therefore it has the newer semtec thermistors and use Type 5 in place of Type 1) then it might be just easier to have someone compile the firmware and send it to you so all you have to deal with is the crap of uploading to the printrboard using the hidbootloader application (refer wiki page) .

thank you ver much adrian. I am currently at work and will not be able to work on this for another few hours, but I am excited and hopeful to try

Downloaded and installed everything and I am going through the temp settings. Should my SD be off? Plugged to computer? Completely separated THEN plugged up?
Quick reply much appreciated!

If you are talking about editing the firmware in Arduino, it makes no difference what your printer is doing at the time.

It will need to be connected when you are happy and want to send the firmware to the printer.

I am actually pleased with the settings that were already in Configuration.h as the max temp was already 275c, and I never plan to need it higher.

However, even after deleting and reinstalling everything, including RH, I am still having to shut down after every print. When I hit Run Job after everything is re-heated, the temp dies and RH crashes.
Is ANYBODY else having this problem or is there a fix?

12 (edited by adrian 2014-02-22 23:58:02)

No, thats not a known fault, and no, never experienced that issue.

The temps wont die, and restarting your entire PC sounds extreme... Is there an M999 error, or anything else in the repetiers host logs

Really, to help with this issue, going to need some actual data. Try grabbing a screenshot of the temp curves in RH, and also make sure the "Log Session" box is ticked in Config->Repetier General Settings. Inside there, will be RH's working directory and inside that directory will be a log of the session. Next time, BEFORE restarting RH, grab that file and also attach it to this thread...

Also - make sure to use the latest repetier-host... I'm using V0.95F across both my Solidoodles and my other printers with no issues...

Did you update the thermistor?

Line 92:
#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 -1

1) On the Soliwiki page, it says Line 91
2) What's with the "-1"?
Negative One?
Also, when I restart the printer, will it give me any notification? If not, how long should I wait before opening RH?
Thanks again for all the help.

15 (edited by elmoret 2014-02-23 02:02:52)

AZERATE wrote:

Line 92:
#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 -1

1) On the Soliwiki page, it says Line 91
2) What's with the "-1"?
Negative One?
Also, when I restart the printer, will it give me any notification? If not, how long should I wait before opening RH?
Thanks again for all the help.

Holy moly. Did you look at the E3D documentation when you assembled it?

http://e3d-online.com/index.php?route=e … blog_id=19

Don't sweat the line number, you probably threw in a carriage return or something.

about 5 seconds after you restart it should connect in RH.

And yes; negative -1 is wrong. It should be 1 for the SD and most standard EPCOS thermistors - type 5 if you are using the supplied-with-the-E3D Semitec thermistor.

As to confirming what firmware is loaded - the very first lines of when the printer reconnect in RH will show the compilation date - you will probably need to scroll the RH messages window carefully back to the top of the messages - or check the RH log file mentioned above...

Trying to upload from Arduino and I get:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

So...don't try to upload, hit the reset and try that?

18 (edited by adrian 2014-02-23 04:11:10)

you have the new printrboard right ? If you do you can't upload from arduino - you need to use a separate program.
Refer http://wiki.solidoodle.com/update-firmware - if you got your printer after June 2013 then it has a Printrboard Rev E on it. You need to short some pins out with a jumper, hit reset, make sure drivers are installed, etc.  Its there on the wiki.

(Remember, solidoodle changed to the printrboard to make your life easier wink  ) If you have the older sanguinololu, send me a PM.... There is a quick fix if you have the rest of the firmware compiling ok...

adrian wrote:

you have the new printrboard right ? If you do you can't upload from arduino - you need to use a separate program.
Refer http://wiki.solidoodle.com/update-firmware - if you got your printer after June 2013 then it has a Printrboard Rev E on it. You need to short some pins out with a jumper, hit reset, make sure drivers are installed, etc.  Its there on the wiki.

I am far from an electrician, but I know it is one of the newer ones...ordered it in November '13. But I added an image just to be sure.

Post's attachments

SD2 board.JPG 552.26 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

yes its the Rev E. Printrboard - so follow the wiki steps but keep using the same arduino ide/source code you already have.. Rough steps are:

And make sure you have 'Motherboard == 81' in the Configuration.h file to select the printrboard and Teensylu++2.0 (if you manually installed the teensylu files from pjrc.com ) or Teensylu/Printrboard (if you download the arduino022 at the wiki) selected in the Tools->Board menu of arduino ;

and make sure you also have Solidoodle_version=2 set at top of Configuration.h

Compile the firmware by pressing Shift and then clicking 'Verify' (the 'tick' or 'play' symbol depending on arduino IDE version), and you will see it spit out lots of stuff in the bottom window; including where it puts the 'marlin.cpp.hex' file :

"D:\Dev\arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-objcopy -O ihex -R .eeprom C:\Users\adrian\AppData\Local\Temp\build8712181167403577022.tmp\Marlin.cpp.elf C:\Users\adrian\AppData\Local\Temp\build8712181167403577022.tmp\Marlin.cpp.hex"

Download from the wiki page the hidbootloader.zip ; move the marlin.cpp.hex into the folder you unzip that hidbootloader.zip program to ; follow the steps regarding shorting the 'BOOT' pins etc.. .and then you should be done.

Thank you very much adrian.
While I haven't delved into the firmware too much, I am trying different expirements to isolate as much of the problem as I can.
Yesterday I setup my wife's Windows 8 laptop with RH and whatnot and tried to print. It was giving me the same crap my Windows Vista laptop was doing. BUT! As I was swapping out my mirror bed for a cleaner one, I noticed the wires for the heating element I had unskillfully soldered to new MTA 100 had been sliding out.
As a new experiment, I taped the wires into the connectors with kapton, and then had 4 successful prints before the kapton lost grip.

I will have to address the firmware in the very near future, but for now, I am just glad I can print.
big_smile

adrian wrote:

yes its the Rev E. Printrboard - so follow the wiki steps but keep using the same arduino ide/source code you already have.. Rough steps are:

And make sure you have 'Motherboard == 81' in the Configuration.h file to select the printrboard and Teensylu++2.0 (if you manually installed the teensylu files from pjrc.com ) or Teensylu/Printrboard (if you download the arduino022 at the wiki) selected in the Tools->Board menu of arduino ;

and make sure you also have Solidoodle_version=2 set at top of Configuration.h

Compile the firmware by pressing Shift and then clicking 'Verify' (the 'tick' or 'play' symbol depending on arduino IDE version), and you will see it spit out lots of stuff in the bottom window; including where it puts the 'marlin.cpp.hex' file :

"D:\Dev\arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-objcopy -O ihex -R .eeprom C:\Users\adrian\AppData\Local\Temp\build8712181167403577022.tmp\Marlin.cpp.elf C:\Users\adrian\AppData\Local\Temp\build8712181167403577022.tmp\Marlin.cpp.hex"

Download from the wiki page the hidbootloader.zip ; move the marlin.cpp.hex into the folder you unzip that hidbootloader.zip program to ; follow the steps regarding shorting the 'BOOT' pins etc.. .and then you should be done.

I am confused on what to do after I run Arduino program. What are the steps to edit the temps from in there. AM I to load a Configuration file from somewhere?

You load Configuration.h from the Marlin files.
It seems it all depends on the board you have...new or old SD.
I am still having randomly occurring problems, so I hope someone may be able to guide you better...
Be sure you follow the instructions on Soliwiki.com...a greater majority of instructions seem to be for the older SD boards. If you still have problems and cannot troubleshoot, consult the friendly chaps on this great site

AZERATE wrote:

You load Configuration.h from the Marlin files.
It seems it all depends on the board you have...new or old SD.
I am still having randomly occurring problems, so I hope someone may be able to guide you better...
Be sure you follow the instructions on Soliwiki.com...a greater majority of instructions seem to be for the older SD boards. If you still have problems and cannot troubleshoot, consult the friendly chaps on this great site

Where do I get the Marlin files from for Solidoodle 3 with newer print board. Can I use this:

https://github.com/mlaws/solidoodle2-marlin

That would work. But you NEED to fully read the Soliwiki page on the E3D. You will have to change one line from 2 to 3.
The lines you need to change in Arduino have been covered many many times on here. BUT...my rig is working from 0-12 prints before RH crashes. I can only assume it is due to the new board.
As Adrian stated, the newer boards need a different approach, so I haven't messed with the Arduino stuff since everything is already set where I like.

Which makes me think...I never reset the thermister line. Adrian/Tim-could this be my issue, or just part of it?