Topic: Auger jamming with plastic.

Haven't come across this before and not having any luck with the search so ill make a new post.

Just recently i've started having this issue with two of my systems. One PLA One ABS.
http://i.imgur.com/E8vkS4n.jpg

Not the best picture as its from a cell phone, but you can still see that the plastic has started to bind to the end of the auger before it reaches the nozzle creating a jam. Has anyone had this issue before and if so what was the solution? ABS runs between 185 and 190 depending on weather and temperature indoors, PLA between 157-163. Both machines are vertical, and have no feed issues from hopper to auger, the issue occurs at the end of the auger 1/2 before the nozzle.

Re: Auger jamming with plastic.

As mentioned via PM, I have never come across that personally. I have heard of one user reporting something similar, and he disassembled it, peeled the plastic off, reassembled, and has been fine ever since.

Yeah, this is the fourth time. Im starting to think its an issue with thermocouple registering wrong (hence my ordering some) or possibly something to do with getting used to this new glow colorant from OSP. I'll post again when i figure it out if no one else comes up with anything.

Dug up the other post:

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/4739/my-first-problem/

Looks like it is glow in the dark master batch related. Also looks like he might have had some trouble repeatedly.

Yeah last post he was still having his problem only now not on the glow. I've just finished cleaning my problem system out letting it cool now as i let it get quite hot while cleaning to make it easier. Interestingly enough the plastic was EXTREMELY thick even once heated to 210. I'll experiment a bit about to push some plain abs through it and see what happens. I'll post again later with updates, and more after i get those new thermistors and can make sure its not an issue with temp readings being off.

digitydogs wrote:

thermistors

Thermoouples!

7 (edited by digitydogs 2014-02-13 23:19:57)

THERMOCOUPLES!!!! lol. Just shoot me Tim!!!! I do not know why for the life of me i keep calling them backwards. I do it with my @#$% printers too. Hopefully it stops when i switch to using a thermocouple on my printers as well.

Its hard to tell from the picture, but what is that dark looking material at the end of the auger?  Is it possible that your output slowed because of a partial restriction and the plastic not moving out the end fast enough allowed it to heat up enough far enough back to bind to the auger.   I myself have seen plastic bonded to the auger like this with no colorants and straight mg94.  I however found a restricted nozzle hole and upon trying to drill it out discovered that whatever it was restricting the nozzle is very hard... much harder than over heated plastic should be.