Topic: iPhone 5 Case

My Solidoodle is actually saving me money!
My old phone was on its last legs, so I finally justified getting a new iPhone 5.  Normally with the purchase of a new phone, I often have to buy an over-priced case to protect it.   The guy at the Phone store looked confused when he asked if I needed a case, and I said "No Thanks, I plan to print one."

I looked online an found one case I liked, but it didn't fit my needs exactly.
So I designed my own. 

The power and volume buttons are replicated on the edges of the case and work fantastic!

Stl available -> thingiverse.com/thing:34568

Still a little room for improvement, such as a custom design for the back.  Also the silent mode switch is a little hard to use, but works.

Getting a 3D printer was the best investment I ever made! I love this thing!

-Brandon

Post's attachments

Iphone_With_Case_Orange_display_medium.jpg
Iphone_With_Case_Orange_display_medium.jpg 197.03 kb, 5 downloads since 2012-11-15 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: iPhone 5 Case

Great job, I printed a couple of these out and I don't even have an iPhone (or any damn Apple products)

http://thingiverse-production.s3.amazonaws.com/renders/63/d9/d6/8e/34/iPhone_5_Honey_Comb_Case_display_medium.jpg

Yeah I've seen that one, I like the idea of taking a Basic Case template, and making variants that just have different patterns on the back.   I was planning to try to design a few unique backings.

Part of me wants to go crazy, and since we can print whatever shapes we want, why be bound to straight lines?  What if you could you could print a theme or style around the phone in an organic way.   Make it look like a strange hand is gripping the phone, or perhaps have it encircled with dragons or something. 

I really don't know,  its funny it seems the more options I have to choose from, the more my mind stalls when trying to focus on one of them!

4 (edited by cmetzel 2012-11-15 18:07:15)

This is one of my favorites

http://thingiverse-production.s3.amazonaws.com/renders/b6/a0/90/7f/d6/8piccyfix_1332332637_8IMG_2805FULL_RES_preview_card.jpg

Yeah that is exactly what I'm taking about.  I  really liked that one too!
Every time I look at that one, I wonder if it would be feasible to make moving gears!  just for the novelty of being able to spin it!

like this?

I like this one for the experiments in changing filament mid print, especially stacking translucent colors-

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:25612

yikes
You just melted my brain!  YES Exactly like that. 
I'm a huge fan of what I refer to as "Motion for the sake of motion"

Ok, so I wonder now if its feasible on a solidoodle. tongue

9 (edited by Kyle 2012-11-15 22:21:47)

BrandonW6 wrote:

yikes

Absolutely!

I happened across that a while ago and had to give it a try.

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo204/captainkeewl/b0d16f52.jpg

Kyle wrote:
BrandonW6 wrote:

yikes

Absolutely!

I happened across that a while ago and had to give it a try.

You got the link to the STL for it?

Kyle, was that on the solidoodle?  I'd like to see the stl as well if you have it.

12 (edited by Kyle 2012-11-16 00:51:23)

That was printed on a Dimension BST 1200, Not a solidoodle however there's no reason it wouldn't work on a solidoodle.

I found the .stl on instructables
http://www.instructables.com/id/IPhone- … Engineers/

The Dimension is ever so slightly more expensive than the solidoodle tongue it will be interesting to see how it compares

14 (edited by Kyle 2012-11-16 01:22:14)

pretenda wrote:

The Dimension is ever so slightly more expensive than the solidoodle tongue it will be interesting to see how it compares

Just ~40x the price tongue

I plan on doing a side by side review when I get my solidoodle.

Kyle wrote:

That was printed on a Dimension BST 1200, Not a solidoodle however there's no reason it wouldn't work on a solidoodle.

I'm printing it sloppy at .3 to see if it works, if it looks good I'll take a run at it at .1.  Got 5 gears printed, I'll finish it up either tomorrow night or the weekend.  Need to see if the wife's eyes have rolled back down into normal position before I start up again.  haha

cmetzel wrote:
Kyle wrote:

I'm printing it sloppy at .3 to see if it works, if it looks good I'll take a run at it at .1.  Got 5 gears printed, I'll finish it up either tomorrow night or the weekend.  Need to see if the wife's eyes have rolled back down into normal position before I start up again.  haha

That is funny!!! ...and...LETS SEE SOME PICTURES!!!!!! Of the case so far, not the eyes!
I was going to attempt this as well but I knew someone else was going to before I did!
I am going to print the OP's case tonight. It is the nicest i've seen so far.

...sativas are for smoking!

17 (edited by BrandonW6 2012-11-16 18:43:53)

Wow I really Like that one,  maybe i'll try to make one of those this weekend.

I was playing around with some gear ideas last night.  I'd love to post a link to the video, but apparently I'm not allowed to post links yet.
tongue 

Maybe I should post a bunch of spam posts.  so I finally get past the filter that supposed to prevent spamming..

- Brandon

(Edit)
Seems I can attach it from my phone.  Lol

Post's attachments

image.jpg 726.32 kb, 3 downloads since 2012-11-16 

trim.JTQjhx.MOV 2.19 mb, 26 downloads since 2012-11-16 

This was more just proof of concept.  Don't think .3mm is going to cut it.  I'm certain one of you .1mm guys could do it without issue. 

Mine will spin but you can see the rivets aren't in, but it would work for sure.

Post's attachments

gear phone.jpg
gear phone.jpg 55.59 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-11-18 

cmetzel wrote:

This was more just proof of concept.  Don't think .3mm is going to cut it.  I'm certain one of you .1mm guys could do it without issue. 

Mine will spin but you can see the rivets aren't in, but it would work for sure.

I couldn't print the rivets either. If you look closely I cut a cover out of acrylic to hold in the gears.