1 (edited by Cwalster 2012-11-15 03:56:26)

Topic: Designing in support material

Right now I'm working on a fairly simple project, a tray with some very small holes and an overhang. I need support material to do the overhang, but I can't simply activate support otherwise it would fill the holes with support as well, and they are too small to clean out. Anybody got any tips? I've been trying a simple zigzag pattern, but it seems to try to fill the tips in with fill, taking a lot of time. I also highly doubt that its going to clean up neatly. I've been using slic3r, so if other slicers do a better job easily, that would work too.

Re: Designing in support material

Without seeing it i can't say for sure but skienforge has an option for external support.

Re: Designing in support material

if that doesn't work, when i first started printing i didn't realize that the slicers would generate support so i was designing my own.  Just build a platform up under it, but on the last two or three layers before it makes contact with your part make it about .025" wide so you can remove it.  Don't worry about the rest of it, just make the contact point weak.