Topic: First layer not sticking and possible extruded problem

Recently I've had issues printing the starting layers.  After heating the bed to 90+ C, the extruded tends to push out plastic at an angle and it tends to not make contact with the bed and the plastic builds up around the head.  Is this a simple bed leveling problem that I could fix with a simple calibration or something more?  Thanks!

2 (edited by Cwalster 2012-11-14 19:06:18)

Re: First layer not sticking and possible extruded problem

Check your bed height and leveling first. Those are simple to do, and my preferred method is to use a slip of paper to feel the distance between the bed and the nozzle. You want to just barely be able to slip the paper between the two at the four corners. Adjust your bed height with the screw at the rear of the machine and poke holes in the kapton adjust the bed level with the outer screws on the bed.

If you have a dial indicator, that's even better, but the paper method is a faster check and is easier to source.

Noob question here. I am assuming you want to move the build platform up until the Y axis (up and down) switch wont allow it to move any higher. Then do the paper test?

-Ty

Ty wrote:

Noob question here. I am assuming you want to move the build platform up until the Y axis (up and down) switch wont allow it to move any higher. Then do the paper test?

It's the Z axis up and down.

You want to control the stop by adjusting the z screw mounted to the back of the solidoodle that makes contact with the switch.  If you're messing with it set it to stop the bed lower at first and then inch it up so you don't crash the nozzle into the bed.

Ah ok I gotcha, very good to keep in mind. The reason I said Y is because I use Maya professionally and z is always depth, y is always vertical. 3Dsmax however sais z is height but I've heard this is incorrect. I'm sure it's all arbitrary in the end though, consistency is whats important.

I think at present my bed is pretty level, although this paper idea makes a lot of sense. I have my answer but just to re-cap for anyone else.

Step 1. Move build platform in Y until it meets the nozzle. (with heating off!)

Step 2. Try to slide a sheet of paper between nozzle and bed.

Step 3. Test this at all 4 corners.

Step 4. Tighten / loosen bed leveling screws until all match.

Please correct/explain/advise/add to if I am missing anything.

Thanks Chaps!

-Ty

Leveling the platform with paper -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bzAE5-QgUY

You should do this with the bed heated to account for any thermal expansion.  You only need to do it at the three screws, and it works best if you do the front pair first, then the back.

Setting the first layer height with the Z offset screw at the back of the case-

http://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/201 … st-layers/

That youtube video explains it perfectly. Thank you Ian.

-Ty

GrilledPeaches wrote:

Recently I've had issues printing the starting layers.  After heating the bed to 90+ C, the extruded tends to push out plastic at an angle and it tends to not make contact with the bed and the plastic builds up around the head.  Is this a simple bed leveling problem that I could fix with a simple calibration or something more?  Thanks!

I've got this same problem, the plastic does not extrude straight down (any more) and seems to push out to the side and want to coil upwards.

I think this is because I've slightly malformed the hot end whilst cleaning it.

the only solution that I can offer is.

set the bed height at less than 0.3mm, (so the first layer will be very squashed).
turn up the bed temperature.
and if you absolutely need to print things with accuracy, (so cannot have the first layer squashed) print a raft.