Topic: Has the issue of the pcb melting been addressed?

I check this board almost every day (being that I am super excited to be getting my printer soon) and I have yet to see an official response to the problem of the pcb melting at the connector for the heated bead? I know that there are work a rounds like soldering new wires to bypass the pcb traces or using an external power supply. But I was wondering if Solidoodle is fixing the problem already? I know they have been making changes to the design mid production like changing the filament spool holder. So have they addressed this issue yet?

Re: Has the issue of the pcb melting been addressed?

Despite what has been said about the Sanguinololu's ability to handle the heated bed, I don't think the melting I experienced was related.  It was the power terminal that melted, and I think it was due to one of the wires coming loose, which added resistance and heat.  My power cable wasn't taped down to the back of the case, so every time I turned the printer around (which was often) it was pulled on, and one of the leads probably worked itself a little loose.

Rather than go to the trouble of modding the Sanguinololu, they are probably better off researching alternative electronics.  There are better options, if they can be aquired cheaply enough to hit their price point.  I think it would be great if they could make some kind of deal to use the Azteeg X1.  There is an LCD coming out for it, and it already can accomodate a gcode controlled fan, so both of those features could be added without any complicated hacking.

Re: Has the issue of the pcb melting been addressed?

IanJohnson wrote:

Despite what has been said about the Sanguinololu's ability to handle the heated bed, I don't think the melting I experienced was related.  It was the power terminal that melted, and I think it was due to one of the wires coming loose, which added resistance and heat.  My power cable wasn't taped down to the back of the case, so every time I turned the printer around (which was often) it was pulled on, and one of the leads probably worked itself a little loose.

Rather than go to the trouble of modding the Sanguinololu, they are probably better off researching alternative electronics.  There are better options, if they can be aquired cheaply enough to hit their price point.  I think it would be great if they could make some kind of deal to use the Azteeg X1.  There is an LCD coming out for it, and it already can accomodate a gcode controlled fan, so both of those features could be added without any complicated hacking.

Melting terminals generally are not a problem with the Solidoodle as of now.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.