Topic: Ty from Toronto

Got my Solidoodle a little over a month ago and absolutely loving it.

I work in VFX for a living so super hi res (10k - 6 million polys )3d sculpting / texturing / modeling are all daily occurrences for me. Since I reside in the artistic side of things I am the first to admit my hardware knowledge is limited. I am very keen on learning however and read a lot while rendering at work smile

I feel I could be a valuable resource for people looking to dive into the more artistic / non-industrial design side of 3d modeling. Feel free to message me and I'll do my best to help out in any way I can.

My goal with my printer is this, get it printing as well as it can, and then print art and anything else that piques my interest.

-Ty

Re: Ty from Toronto

Welcome, what software do you use for modeling?  I'd love to see some pictures of the stuff you're printing as inspiration.  I got mine for more functional prototypes of some ideas I'll hopefully patent someday but most of that work is well underway and I'm looking for more inspiration to start creating more.

3 (edited by Ty 2012-11-14 18:28:58)

Well so far it's been mostly calibrating pieces and trying to get the printer to print well. Although I did try printing a sculpt I did waaay back at .3mm . The print is the head of an Inquisitor for a warhammer 40k character. I have the whole body sculpted but it's not water tight. Mainly just using this as a test piece as well.

ht-----tp://------goo.gl/sJb2U

Sorry for the crap quality, cell phone camera.

3d Programs I use / have used,

Maya (latest versions), 3dsmax (about 2 or 3 years ago) zbrush 4r4 (daily use), mudbox, blender, sculptris. I've used many more but probably not professionally. Feel free to ask about other apps not mentioned in my list.

Sorry for the weird link, I'm guessing I cant post links until I'm vetted. Just remove the "---" to see the link.

-Ty

7 more posts to go, Ty.  Then you attain solidoodler status and links work.

BTW, nice sculpt.  Most 3d art folk have an issue making watertight models as you don't really have to for renders.  I see more value in zBrush sculpts and other type of traditional modeling-type software for creating adequate STLs for printing.  Unfortunately I don't have the $ for zBrush, so Sculptris will have to do for the time being (I need to really work on getting that to work on my older machine).

I use Hexagon and Carrara for most of my modelling needs, but it's not really precision software, so I should probably look into more CAD like software for some of my needs.

Have fun in the forums