Topic: Help to build filastruder

Help to build filastruder

Hi,
i just started to build the machine, and after read the doc, and see some tutorials and videos, i need some help with the pieces that i remark on picture (Clipboard02).

In a few words,

i) How do i assemble the "extra" wooden part that i can no see in any other tutorial?
ii) Are my nylon parts black colored, instead white i use to see on doc's pictures?
iii) What it is the use for parts that i upload on picture 20140128_091341.jpg   ?

Thanks!!

Post's attachments

20140128_091341.jpg
20140128_091341.jpg 2.16 mb, 3 downloads since 2014-01-28 

Clipboard02.png
Clipboard02.png 432.73 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Help to build filastruder

What version of the instructions are you using? If you were using the correct version, you would have all of the answers to your questions. smile

I am using v-1.3.

Did you mean that wooden part is just what i remark on Clipboard3.png?

Which is the task number (on instructions doc) that shows hao to assemble the part as shown on 20140128_091341.jpg?

Thanks!!

Post's attachments

Clipboard03.png
Clipboard03.png 425.94 kb, 1 downloads since 2014-01-28 

While that is the correct version of the instructions, I have to say you have not done a very good job of reading them.

The parts in 20140128_091341.jpg are:

A 10mm washer. Step 3 of the instructions has the following note:

Note: If your has a 7/16” shaft collar, a 10mm washer is included (not pictured). Slide this on before sliding the shaft collar on. The purpose is to keep the shaft collar from being pushed too far into the black coating area in operation. Be sure to tighten the setscrew completely

The other part is the dowel pin (a spare is included). Step 13 describes this, there is even a picture!

The black nylon parts are the spacers. The parts list says these can be white or black.

Finally, the white plate is the thrust plate. It is the only white part in the whole kit that will fit there! Here's what the instructions say:

If your kit came with one white thrust plate and two flanges, use one flange and the white plate in place of the block shown in the figure to the right. The flange goes on the outside of the stack, flat side towards the white plate. Proper order is: shaft collar -> thrust bearing -> white plate -> flange.

Please please read the instructions!

5 (edited by Dakota 2014-01-29 17:55:31)

I know you get busy with filling all the orders and keeping up with the forum, but you may want to post a new video and remove the older one since that kit version is obsolete.  Anyone that had that kit has built it, used it, upgraded it, or whatever so I think you could safely remove the video and maybe just post a new one on the latest kit.  It would save time answering posts like barrera's.

If it's worth doing, get a proffessional, if it's worth doing right, get me.

Actually I am just about ready to build my Filastruder after a year or more so I need that version build video!!

I just received a 3D printer to print my funnel.

Ralph

Dakota wrote:

I know you bet busy with filling all the orders and keeping up with the forum, but you may want to post a new video and remove the older one since that kit version is obsolete.  Anyone that had that kit has built it, used it, upgraded it, or whatever so I think you could safely remove the video and maybe just post a new one on the latest kit.  It would save time answering posts like barrera's.

I doubt it, he says he has v1.3 instructions - he's just not reading them. I would love to make a new video, but it is not in the cards for the near future.

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I'm very excited about the idea of making own filament! I was thinking to buy one of available extruders but considering shipping to my country it would be quite expensive. So i decided to build one myself and i would be grateful for answering few of my questions. I've managed with all of electonical parts, i do have a pid controller, gear motor power supply, cartridge heater. I have it all wired and working correctly. So here is my first question, what do you think about using cartiridge heater? I saw this in the Filabot extuder and i liked this solution.
I still have to struggle with all of the mechanical parts. I have an auger 18mm diameter, so i based (maybe incorrectly) search  for remaining parts on it. I purchased a pipe 3/4" and brass plug 3/4". So here is my doubt, in Lyman version it is used 1/2" for a pipe and plug, is this difference may matter in an extrusion? I'm also wondering about a plug, how thick should it be? I've found one that i can drill a hole 7mm long, is it fine? How the thickness of a nozzle affects extruding? I sense that thin nozzle means faster extrusion and worse filament quality, what is an accurate size?
Another thing is a nozzle diameter, what diameter for 3mm filament, is it 3mm?
I saw in the Filastruder a fan for cooling a filament, in Lyman it is water. I was excited by the Filastruder solution, it is simpler, although i have seen a video of the professional production, wow it required A LOT of water coolng! Is it neccesary to make a good quality filament?
I will be thankful for any advices! wink

Hi,
i have some doubts (i promise i'am reading de doc)...

I uploaded some pictures.

When i try to assembly all parts, i can not get the thrust bearing pressured.
The auger can slide, and there is nothing to press it against the thrust plate.

ANy help?.
Thanks

Post's attachments

20140206_104321.jpg
20140206_104321.jpg 1.98 mb, 1 downloads since 2014-02-06 

20140206_104455.jpg
20140206_104455.jpg 2.36 mb, 1 downloads since 2014-02-06 

g.barrera.p wrote:

i have some doubts (i promise i'am reading de doc)...

I doubt it!

g.barrera.p wrote:

When i try to assembly all parts, i can not get the thrust bearing pressured.
The auger can slide, and there is nothing to press it against the thrust plate.

Instructions wrote:

Slide the auger so that the thrust bearing is compressed during the future assembly steps. Pressurized plastic will handle the compression in operation.

YOU hold it compressed during assembly, then the pressure of the plastic holds it compressed during operation. Like holding your pants up with you hands until you button them, at which point the waistband holds them up.

What plastic???????

Is the bearing actually pressed down when i assemble the entire extruder, or when it's working?. Not the same.

ANyway, the wooden support is wider than the group "washer + collar + bearing". So when the auger slide all down on nipple, it just stop inside the wooden support, so when i assemble all toghether the bearing is dancing across the auger (2 cm aprox.)

It's ok?
Thanks

Oh man. I think you need to find someone that understands English natively.

The "plastic" I refer to is that which you are turning into filament!

During assembly, YOU hold the auger so that the thrust bearing is compressed. After assembly, the plastic being extruded provides this force.

I don't know how else to explain it.

Assuming this is the version he has...

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=4258&download=0

I think people try to presume they know better, instead of simply following the instructions.

Tim knows what he is doing.  Following the instructions directly and you end up with a working device.  Try to second guess his decisions and you are likely to end up with a problem.

If you have been following this products life properly/for a while and read the original development path read then you will know this.

Masterbatch, ABS and PLA Pellets available for UK and Europe.
http://www.emakershop.com/Seller=1324

CraigRK wrote:

I think people try to presume they know better, instead of simply following the instructions.

Tim knows what he is doing.  Following the instructions directly and you end up with a working device.  Try to second guess his decisions and you are likely to end up with a problem.

If you have been following this products life properly/for a while and read the original development path read then you will know this.

I think a big part of it is English as a second or third language. I've thought about hiring someone to translate the instructions, but I'd have no way to check their correctness and I'd get even more emails in foreign languages (I already get a few each month)...

One solution is updating the build videos, but that that is a solid day of filming and editing. It's at the top of the to-do list once I'm caught up...

when is mounted, is normal the shaft collar, thrust bearing join with the feed screw move move a little bit on their axis? i think when the pull the auger in motor direction...

vincenzo.matacelo wrote:

when is mounted, is normal the shaft collar, thrust bearing join with the feed screw move move a little bit on their axis? i think when the pull the auger in motor direction...

Once AGAIN...

Instructions wrote:

Slide the auger so that the thrust bearing is compressed during the future assembly steps. Pressurized plastic will handle the compression in operation.