Topic: Nozzle clogging

I am getting seriously annoyed right now. I have had my solidoodle for less than a month, and the nozzle has clogged itself three times now. Why on earth is this continually happening? From what I can tell I am not doing anything wrong. I am using the filament from solidoodle themselves, im running at 200 degrees, and the filament just doesnt come out the end. Ive cleared the barrel out completely, same with the nozzle, and i cant understand why this is still happening. Can anyone give me any insight as to why im continually experiencing problems? Support havent been very helpful.

Re: Nozzle clogging

Are you leaving the heater on in between prints? This can cause the filament to cook, harden and block the nozzle.

Are you using black filament?

Lawsy, I am pretty sure that was the cause of my first clog, but ever since, ive let everything cool down in between prints.

Jooshs, Yep, the black ABS from Solidoodle themselves. Is there something wrong with this filament?

Solidoodle may have got a bad batch of black. You are the fifth case I've heard of this week of solidoodle black filament failing to extrude. I have a spool of it that wont work while every other color is printing fine.

From Ian

I ran across this quote at the RepRap forum just the other day -

Black plastic always concerns me, since it usually is made out of all of the "junk" plastic that the processor doesn't want to get stuck with. Almost every plastic part can be colored black, a lot of junk processors throw all there garbage into their black batches. If you ever get cheap Chinese black filament that seems extra brittle or doesn't seem to process well, this is the reason. In most other colors, it would show up as major contamination.

That might explain the trouble with black filament.  I have also run across complaints about black filament from Octave, whose reviews are generally positive otherwise.

Thanks for that info. I have some more filament on order from 3Dprintergear which should hopefully arrive soon. I'll keep putting up with this until I can do a comparison. I just cant understand what I am doing wrong, which is the biggest issue. Half way through a print itll just stop extruding and start stripping the filament, then no matter what I do, its clogged and needs to be pulled apart.

Well to add my bit in, I just had to take apart my extruder because of a piece of black filament that wouldn't melt.

And this is the second time it has clogged itself up today. It is about to go sailing across the room.

I would recommend not using that filament till you get new stuff. I had the same experience on several prints stopping halfway through. It is very tough to see right when it clogs and then pressure can build up an break the seal in the peek as well. I wonder if there is a way to track down the batch of orders that went out if this is what happened.

Have a look at my thread on hot end replacement. Due to the changes, I should be able to disassemble my hot end for cleaning without touching the jigsaw puzzle.

with that last clog its gotten plastic everywhere. It is all in the threads of the brass barrel, it squeezed out of the nozzle and glued the nozzle to the heater. Very very over it. I'll definitely look into your hot end replacement lawsy. Its good having someone else over this side of the world that has one of these as well. You taken any photos of the finished product yet?

Photos taken but they were dodgy.

After printing a bit, I've had the same problem where plastic has oozed up between the thread of the brass barrel. I'll be heating up everything first before I disassemble to avoid too much trouble. Need to do the nozzle up tighter I guess, or use thread tape.

Will take better pics when I reassemble.

One more thing: BilbyCNC are good people to deal with. Ordered on the weekend, sent Monday, arrived Tuesday.

Also ordered out work Replicator through them and it came weeks sooner than expected.

Looks like ill have to put my order in first thing in the morning. Its money I don't want to spend, but I can't get the damn thing unclogged hmm

Thanks heaps for the info.

My extruder clogged up on the 4th print.  So I tried the wire thing, and the torch thing and neither worked.  However as a last ditch effort I removed the barrrel and nozzle from the PEEK insulator and soaked the two of them in a bottle with acetone.  I shook the bottle up a few times during the day and blew them out with an air chuck.  Reassembled perfectly and printed great.

NEHoff, what colour was the filament you used and where did you get it from?

Natural color ABS from Solidoodle.  I did find some hard pieces of black something in the plastic when I first tried to clean it out.  not sure if they were inclusions in the plastic, or if there was something from the manufacturing of the machine that found it's way into the nozzle.

if you are watching the machine, then I've found it is possible that you can catch a clog as soon as it happens, pause the print.

reverse the filament until it comes out, snip an inch off the end and then resume printing again.

Unfortunatly if you don't catch it as soon as it happens then it's a lot more difficult, certainly you can't pause/restart the print.
and you may find that you have to take the extruder apart and clear the clog manually.

I've found that it's pretty effective to clear clogs by using a small alen wrench to remove the plastic, insert it into the cold end of the hot end part, then pull it out, it'll be coated in plastic.

if you use a 1.5mm alen wrench you can also use this to "push" the filament out of the hot end, you can apply much more pressure than the stepper motor can, literally forcing out clogs.

the negative side of this is that the extruder is extraordinarily annoying to put back together, it's like a mental puzzle and balancing act all rolled into one!

danny wrote:

the negative side of this is that the extruder is extraordinarily annoying to put back together, it's like a mental puzzle and balancing act all rolled into one!

You may find this useful:

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/588/jigs … ement-mk2/

So, I just started having my black filament clog the extruder. Second time in about 30 minutes of filament use.  When I pulled the filament out, I found what looked to be cellophane (like what you might think of as non-stick tape like material) on the end of the line (the end that just came out of the extruder).

Whatever it is, it didn't burn and isn't melted, but I don't know if there are more pieces in the extruder that didn't come out.

Just thought I would add my bit in here...

Just an update, I got the nozzle unclogged and put it back together one last time before I replace it with lawsys hot end, expecting the black to clog up pretty quick. I've printed for over 18 hours with it since with not a single hiccup. I am still not 100% sure what the cause of my issues were but it seems to be all going ok for now. I'm using a different colour now, so will keep the thread updated if I run into more issues. Thanks for everyone's help!

I switched to the blue filament sample that came with my printer (looked to be about 4 or 5 feet in length) and started printing with that for a test.  After 1 or 2 small objects (about 6 minutes print time each) the blue filament began to get jammed also.

When I pulled it out it looked almost burnt, as if the extruder were getting too hot.  So I watched it again during another round of printing and found that during fill movements is when the jamming would start... like the flow rate was not correct and the material couldn't flow out of the extruder as fast as the extruder would try to push it in. During fill movements, the filament would get bent past the motor, but would relax as the pressure was taken off at the straightaways. 

Also, I noticed that the blue filament seems to "run" when the heater reaches about 150C, but I was printing at 200C.  At 150, I cant even make the extruder move due to protections.

Does that sound normal?  Is my extruder running hot for some reason?

Pretenda, is that the experience you were having?

sounds like maybe the temp sensor on the nozzle is not in the correct position so it is reading cooler than it should. Which would mean that your extruder is running to hot. But I dont have my printer yet, so it just a guess.  Do you have a way to take the temp of the extruder with something else?

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

I have purchased, but not received yet, an IR thermometer.
This one:
http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-TM- … hermometer

So, when I get it I will see what the temperature is really doing.

IR thermometers aren't very good at reading nozzle temperatures.  A K type thermocouple that you can plug into a multimeter will give a truer reading- http://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/201 … mperature/