Topic: Toughest Plastic

Hi Guys,

I've got a 2 part question for the forum.

1  What is the toughest thermoplastic at the moment that would be available?

2  Is the Filastruder able to extrude it and if not what would be the closest substitute?

I'm looking at replacing some small, non essential car parts (mainly switches and brackets.  I have a Land Rover... you see why)

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Toughest Plastic

Probably ABS or nylon, and the Filastruder handles both just fine.

http://www.bpf.co.uk/plastipedia/polymers/default.aspx

Other good options: PC, possibly HDPE. I don't know of anyone that has extruded either of those.

The biggest problems you will have:
1.) Being able to print the material
2.) 3D printed parts are never as strong as injection molding. Sometimes 5-40% of the strength of injection molding, depending on the material and printer calibration.

3 (edited by -luckyphil- 2014-01-24 01:06:13)

Ah ok,

So it would depend on the capability of the individual printers out there and if the thermoplastic is suitable to be printed with.

What would be the key flags to look for to indicate a thermoplastics print-ability?

Or better yet is there any documentation that I should go to (short of college diploma) that could give me a better picture of what would indicate a useable thermoplastic?

Obviously I can search for current 3d printer specs but it's more of the thermoplastics I'm interested in.

Thanks for any comments or information.

ABS, PLA, and Nylon are most popular.

People have used PC/PET before. HDPE warps a lot. Just google, nearly everything's been printed (or attempted) by now.

-luckyphil- wrote:

What would be the key flags to look for to indicate a thermoplastics print-ability?

Shrinkage, whether it offgasses noxious fumes, and whether it requires high pressure [or any substantial pressure] to fuse are the biggest barriers to FDM printability that I can think of.

Or better yet is there any documentation that I should go to (short of college diploma) that could give me a better picture of what would indicate a useable thermoplastic?

Shrinkage can be looked up online. Then look for the fusion characteristics and saftey info. Frankly you are unlikely to find a lot more information if any than you would by trawling reprap forums. That place, and the occasional related google group, is full of gold veins.

Thanks guys,

I'll be trawling the web for MSDSs and the important points.

Realistically I'd probably look at 3d printing the part then cleaning it up to a high level of detail then making a mold and injection molding it (as advised) for a final product.

At least if I need the part again then I've got the mold around the place.

Thanks again.

PP is very tough, even more difficult to extrude and way more difficult to print with.

I think he means toughness in regard to strength/impact resistance, not difficulty of use.

I figured that.  PP is a very tough plastic, not much in the way of solvents will dissolve it, and seems to have a good impact resistance.  As for the other, it is tough to extrude and print with.

Proto-Pasta is coming out with a Carbon Fiber/PLA filament.

It would be interesting to get ahold of their pellets. I was a Kickstarter backer so I'll ask them.

Ralph

What Proto-Pasta is doing is mixing the Carbon Fiber with the PLA and extruding that.  They mix at a 15% rate by weight for the Carbon Fiber.  I have purchase the same chopped Carbon Fiber from Ebay.

chopped carbon fiber Tenax 1 pound free shipping.  Its $15.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/chopped-carbon- … 19d6075209

Bob

Thanks Bob, I wonder how I'd mix the Carbon fiber with PLA pellets?

Probable just mix them. Maybe use a FilalaChopper to to run them through a second time.

Has anyone tried?

Ralph