Topic: Looking For PP Testers

Greetings!
I recently came by some PP and a few PP colorants. I am looking for a few people to test out the PP and the colorant. This is experimental and I do not know how well it will extrude or print. Email me at [email protected] or PM me. Thank you.

Rob

Re: Looking For PP Testers

Hello!

Im also looking for testers of PP granules. If OsPrinting got enough ppl testing, feel free to pm me or mail me at [email protected]

/ Andreas

Guys,

Please tell me, from your experience so far, what is the best PP material that you have already worked with? What is its Melt Flow?

Thank you!

Best Regards,
Henrique

I've been working on extruding PP, it's really a beast.

Best I've done so far is to extrude at 180 C, 31 inch drop with a 7/64 inch nozzle.  Even with that, the extrusion is extremely slow and diameter varies quite a bit.

I've come to the conclusion that you need to have a filament winder if you want to get anything of quality.

Printing with PP is another story, have to print very very slow as the PP contracts quite a bit and will eventually pull off the print bed.

Just my 2 cents.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I finally got around to trying PP extrusion. Rob, thanks for sending me some for testing!

I haven't testing printing with it yet, but I can corroborate with gwfami that it's difficult to extrude, although in a very different way. For one thing, the variety that I was sent must have an astronomical MFR -- this stuff stretches like CRAZY once it's out of the nozzle. Even with a less than 1 foot drop, I'm having issues getting the filament to be more than 1.1 mm thick. If I bump the temperature to 185, i'm probably getting 10-15" per minute! I'm currently extruding at 175 C, standard 1/16" nozzle with melt filter, and using a winder with the sensor about 1 foot below the nozzle. There's an 80mm fan pointed directly at the filament, and the ambient temperature is about 65 F. I tried lowering the temperature as far as 165C to get it thicker, but that was clearly too low as it was extruding at about 2-4" / min, and the surface was very bumpy. Even at 165C, the filament was less than 1.3 mm.

I'm using blue masterbatch with this set. I'll try printing with it as soon as I'm done extruding, although I suspect I might see some jamming issues. Filament this thin is very flexible, and might not feed correctly...