Topic: Assemblying my FilaStruder

Hello Guys,

I'm starting to build up my FilaStruder. I am advancing its assemble while a new nipple comes smile

I am a litte bit confused about the inscructions, since there are many parts and some different "models".
Mine is a #742.

I am following a Tim's YouTube video and 1.3 instructions pdf.

Could you please help me out on these doubts?

1) Mine is a 7/6''shaft collar. Is this 10mm washer a golden colored one? Please take a look at the picture if I placed it right.
2) Drill's assembly instructions #3 says that if I have a single wooden thrust plate, but 2 flanges it is ok. But I didn't find any metal bushing to fix the flange to the stack.

I don't know... something seems wrong on what I am doing.

By the way.. I am missing one of the 4 spacers. Anybody else?

Please, check my pictures.

Thank you!

Post's attachments

IMG_2055.jpg
IMG_2055.jpg 561.17 kb, 2 downloads since 2014-01-15 

IMG_2056.jpg 612.17 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_2057.jpg
IMG_2057.jpg 609.83 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_2058.JPG
IMG_2058.JPG 482.59 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Assemblying my FilaStruder

Holy mackerel. This will never cease to amaze me. For starters, it clearly says in the video description that the video is for v1.0 ONLY. You have v1.3. They are different. You cannot use the video.

The piece of copper pipe is part of the filament guide! It does not go on the auger. I am not sure why you think it is a 10mm washer. I think that the 10mm washer is under some of the 1/4" washers you show in the picture.

No idea what "Drill's assembly instructions" means. There is no metal bushing, which is why the PDF instructions do not speak of one (not in the instructions, or the parts list). You must be getting that idea from the video which again, is for v1.0.

I will include extra spacers with your replacement barrel.

smile

Alright... I guess.. I thought ... these versions would be a bit more similar than they really are.... my bad..
So I got really confused...

I'll check these directions and report to you. Thanks again!

Nope, each is different, especially the v1.0 to v1.1 jump. I learned a lot in the beginning of Kickstarter, and applied it as I went along.

Ok Tim, I am about ready to assemble my Filastuder #172(?).
I finally have a 3D printer mostly assembled and I can make my funnel finally, and no a TwoUp not the RPM.

Anyway should I / can I upgrade to the newest version?

Ralph

Hi!
Please, check if I on the right direction.

With some effort, I managed to insert the auge inside the pipe nipple. Though, it is not spinning (I'll wait for the new to arrive).

What I have noticed is that the auge has some sort of gap when inserted. I've seen in your video (I know I am not supposed to follow it) that you talk about it. But, in this case the "Thrust bearing" are loose... specially if I push the auge inside the pipe nipple.
I didn't see yet in this forum a DIY kit like mine already assembled. Please tell me if you know of any. Taking a good look of what I am going to build is really helpful.

I am pretty sure I followed the stack order: "(10mm washer) --> shaft collar -> thrust bearing -> white plate -> flange".

By the way, I found the 10mm washer. It is the only one and it looks similar to the others.

I also printed some spacers in PLA while the Nylon's arrive.

Please check the pictures and video.

Thanks.

Post's attachments

IMG_2072.jpg
IMG_2072.jpg 263.71 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_2073.jpg
IMG_2073.jpg 337.71 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_2074.mpg 3.35 mb, 47 downloads since 2014-01-17 

IMG_2076.JPG
IMG_2076.JPG 1.57 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

Much better!

The auger does slide back and forth. When extruding, it will push backwards to impress the thrust bearing. Therefore, do the assembly with the auger slide backwards (away from the heater).

Otherwise, looking good.

I just couldn't wait for the new pipe nipple.

I asked for a guy nearby to try to repair the pipe that came with my kit.
Seems like it started to work just fine, but then the auger got stuck while rotating and I had to turn the motor off (motor is safe!).

Take a look at the pictures and videos (please ignore the improvised place/installations).

I'd better wait for the new pipe nipple, right?

I had to disassembled the FilaStruder. The pipe had its internal surface all scratched up(see in the pictures and video).

One of the videos was too big to post here, so here's the address:
mediafire.com/watch/9cci0sauj7d06wf/IMG_2098.mpg

Post's attachments

IMG_2099.jpg
IMG_2099.jpg 222.3 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_2100.jpg
IMG_2100.jpg 194.3 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_2101.jpg
IMG_2101.jpg 190.25 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_2102.jpg
IMG_2102.jpg 202.82 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_2103.mpg 2.36 mb, 27 downloads since 2014-01-20 

henriquesv wrote:

I just couldn't wait for the new pipe nipple.

Aw man... you should not have done this. Now it is probable you have damaged the auger.

It is just that the IRS here takes soooo much time to dispatch the package after its arrival. Then I gave it a shot....
Did the USPS already picked the package up? smile

Check pictures and video of the Auger. Do you think it is gonna make it?

By the way... do you plan to build a machine for a bigger volume? If not, would you recommend any project/machine already available in the market?

Thanks man!

Post's attachments

IMG_2105.jpg
IMG_2105.jpg 242.81 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_2106.jpg 238.07 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_2107.mpg 3.15 mb, 19 downloads since 2014-01-20 

Hmm... the tip looks rough, try to smooth it with some 600 grit or higher sandpaper.

Larger machines are tough - power scales with the cube of output, roughly. Industrial machines are $100k+. The goal of Filastruder is the cheapest possible extruder that still extrudes faster than a printer can use it. For commercial production, you need a $100k machine...

12 (edited by Ralphxyz 2014-01-20 22:44:41)

How much more output can we expect with the new high torque motor?

Ralph

Tim,

I have just received the auger. Please, take a look at the pictures. Is this the right model? At first sight it seems like the same as the first one.

Thanks!

Post's attachments

IMG_2194.jpg
IMG_2194.jpg 253.14 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_2195.JPG
IMG_2195.JPG 192.67 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_2196.JPG
IMG_2196.JPG 180.89 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_2197.JPG
IMG_2197.JPG 178.44 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_2198.JPG
IMG_2198.JPG 180.4 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Auger? You mean barrel?

Yeah you should be good to go. They look very similar but that bad batch had a smaller ID. Grind the entrances and deburr it and you should be all set.

Yeah! Barrel!
Excellent! Thanks Tim!

Hi,
Here's the result after 3 hours extruding. The filament goes from gray to almost black. Does it really take that long to get rid of the rust, contaminants, etc?

I read that it should be running for about 8 hours to be ready for extrusion.

Thanks.

Post's attachments

IMG_2213.JPG
IMG_2213.JPG 75.75 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Black seems strange, unless you did a very bad job of cleaning the barrel or are running far too hot.

What temperature is it set to? Where did you put the thermocouple? How fast is it extruding? What nozzle size?

18 (edited by henriquesv 2014-01-29 09:15:33)

- The heaterband is "facing" the nozzle. So, here's one doubt, should it be closest to the nozzle or it should be on the other side of the part that holds nozzle and barrel together?
- The thermocouple was placed between the heaterband and its holder.
- Nozzle size is 3mm.
- It was extruding really slow... how are you measuring how fas it is? ... I mean.. the pattern that you guys are using? The barrel rotates 1 time / every 15s.

Welp, you put the thermocouple in the wrong place. Please re-read the instructions. What temperature are you using? It should be 180C for ABS.

Motor RPM should be 3-3.5, so that's fine.

What extrusion rate are you seeing? (Inches per minute) you should expect around 4"/min with 3mm filament.

PID Temperature is set to 180C, but after some time it is going up to 200C.

Tim, this is what your instructions says this about thermocouple placement (RTA kit –> RTR extruder (electrical)):

"Connect the thermocouple to the controller by sliding it under the screws. Observe polarity. If using
the enclosure, you may need to bend the terminals of the thermocouple so the yellow thermocouple
connector does not interfere with the enclosure. Insert thermocouple in brass plug."

There is no picture nor instructions of its physical installation.

The information regarding the hotend is this:
16.) Wrap hotend with provided insulation. Provided
insulation is a bit intentionally undersized to provide a
tight wrapping. Form it to the shape of the heaterband
by squeezing it around the heater/coupling. Secure with
sticky section of paper wrapping. Edge of insulation
should be

Anyway... a picture of its perfect installation would be really appreciated here.

Thanks!!

henriquesv wrote:

Insert thermocouple in brass plug.

There are only two holes in the brass plug. Plastic comes out of one. The other must be for the thermocouple! Furthermore, you left out part of the instructions. They actually say:

Instructions wrote:

Insert thermocouple in brass plug. Secure with kapton tape, metal zip tie, or pipe clamp (not included)

I do not know how to make that more clear! Insert the thermocouple, secure it with tape.

PID should not be rising 20C beyond set point. Either it needs to be auto tuned, or it is wired incorrectly.

Oh.. well... . now I get what is this brass plug!! smile

Excellent! I will let you know of the advances!

Thanks once again!!

Tim, could you please tell me what is the thermocouple type? K, T... etc?

Thanks!

25 (edited by ronsii 2014-01-29 22:55:35)

according to this thread at post #10 --->http://www.soliforum.com/topic/4557/one … d-hotends/ it is a K-type thermocouple.