Topic: Anyone have a file for the filament holder?

Ello!

I was wondering if anyone had a file for the filament holder that comes default with the september solidoodles.

I busted it last night sad. It's held together right now because I rewelded the piece with acetone, but I doubt it'll last long. I ought to make my next print a replacement smile.

To clarify, I'm talking about the piece that is held by four screws about an inch and half away from each other. It's a small piece that then connects to the PVC piping for a variety of filament holders.  I know that's not super clear, but hopefully this is a standard part and I'm understood.

I emailed solidoodle support, but I don't think they'll get back to me quickly (perhaps I ought not to have sent the email.)

Re: Anyone have a file for the filament holder?

They have been reluctant to release STLs, since that is their IP, the parts that make the Solidoodle unique apart from the open source components.  However I would hope that they would be willing to post a PVC pipe mount, since it isn't integral to the mechanical function of the printer.

At the very least, it shouldn't hard to reverse engineer.

I'm not in front of my machine to verify but I threw this together based on a replacement one at thingiverse.  1.675 centers on the holes, and PVC pipe exterior dimension should be about 1.050 so I made this 1.070 factoring for some closing on interior holes. 

Someone double check the center to center before starting it.  I would suggest solid fill.

I agree this one shouldn't fall under proprietary since it doesn't have anything to do with the function of the printer.

Post's attachments

pvc mount.STL 155.65 kb, 60 downloads since 2012-11-12 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Let me know if it needs to be changed and I'll tweak it.

5 (edited by Tomek 2012-11-12 17:42:49)

I'm at work, and I'd be happy to modify the file after work, but right now I'm having a lot of trouble slicing it (I figured it doesnt take me long to slice, but if I was to open inventor I'd be wasting too much time when i need to finish a different project first.) It processes quickly, but the g-code visualizer doesn't seem to show a good file [it's lacking much of the fillet and the holes. And it has an odd extra piece).

"12:35:24.925 : <Slic3r> Warning: The input file contains a hole near edge 1.000000-2.000000 (not manifold). You might want to repair it and retry, or to check the resulting G-code before printing anyway.
12:35:25.050 : <Slic3r> => Processing triangulated mesh
12:35:27.296 : <Slic3r> The model has overlapping or self-intersecting facets. I tried to repair it, however you might want to check the results or repair the input file and retry.
"

The holes don't quite come out on my slicing. This is great though! I appreciate how you just went ahead and made that. I can probably fix it tonight. Thanks! It was quite nice of you.

(I'm using repetier and one of the .9 versions of slic3r.  In general I've been getting good results.)

Running through cloud.netfabb.com fixes it up just fine.

Post's attachments

pvcmount_fixed.stl 160.92 kb, 53 downloads since 2012-11-12 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

7 (edited by Tomek 2012-11-12 17:54:07)

IanJohnson wrote:

Running through cloud.netfabb.com fixes it up just fine.

I'll do that! Thanks

Edit: done. Thanks! I'm still slicing, but I think they fixed it up. I'll give it a print.

IanJohnson, I've seen you mention cloud.netfabb before. How often do you have to use it on your files? I've made a few of my own that have been fine for slicing, so I've yet to need to use the cloud.netfabb tool. Is it something you use a lot?

That's what I was just about to do, solidworks doesn't make clean ones for me sometimes.

I don't need it very often.  I mostly use Alibre, and it is pretty good about making stable STL files most of the time.  Just about any STL made from Tinkercad is going to need fixing, it seems like.  I also have 3DS Max, and at times have just mashed a couple of meshes together without worrying about making a clean boolean, and let Netfabb sort it out.

No joke, I tried to tip my PVC up to keep it towards the machine and snapped my holder just now.  Guess who's printing this out as we speak.

For those that are interested it worked like a charm, seems a little stronger than the original.

This great to have. My spool holder mount is not broken yet but since I added a pvc elbow and extension to orient the spools to be parallel with the case I can see breaking the original holder in the future.
May print and install this other case mounted spool holder from Thingiverse instead... http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:34284

13 (edited by Tomek 2012-11-13 14:39:15)

Cmetzel, I just wanted to confirm that the file worked perfectly! Thank you for that.

I took and photo and was going to upload it, but my phone's usb port died.  Ah,  bad timing. If only that could be printed to repair big_smile.