Re: Filament Pelletizer

Hello, I tried a similar setup but instead of cutting into small pellets, it is just fraying the filament. I am using filaments that are 1.20mm thick. Any ideas why it kinda peels instead of chopping?

How well it cleanly chops the pellets depends on what filament polymer you are trying to pelletize. ABS plastic is pretty brittle and cuts cleanly. So it must be similar to ABS to work well. I tried to chop Nylon filament and it failed miserably. Have you tried to chop ABS or other polymers?

Hi again,
I read your post again and realized that your filament is a lot smaller than what I pelletized. I think that with such a small diameter filament tolerances are more critical.  How large of a diameter is the hole you are feeding through? The hole needs to be very close to the O.D. of your filament, but just large enough that that filament feeds through easily. After getting the feed hole as tight as you can, the cutting blade should be very close to the feed hole without hitting it.

Ok. I will try it again this THURSDAY and let you know. I am using polyester/nylon strings. I guess they are more flexible than the ABS. The diameter varies from 1.10 - 1.30mm. I used a 2mm drill. I will buy a smaller drill so it fits tight!

Well, i made the feeding hole really snug and still the same result. I guess that my string is very flexible. Any other suggestion?