Topic: Filament Pelletizer

Here is a proof of concept.  It's working just like I hoped-

The auger is chucked into my drill press inside an extra Filastruder barrel.  The threads are going up, cutting the filament against the edge of the cutout and spitting the pellets out the top of the pipe into the bucket.  I would rather do this with a hand drill horizontally, but I would need to find an auger with a small enough shank.

Next step is making a motorized filament feeder that can mount on to the pipe, feeding the filament into a drilled hole.

Re: Filament Pelletizer

This is terrifying. And awesome.

I like how it sounds like a pellet-shooting machine gun.   The trouble with doing it by hand is I was also pelletizing the tube a little bit.

Here is it with a motor to feed the filament.  You can get some pretty small pellets out of it.  Definitely promising for making premixed, low concentration masterbatch.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/gni6lytoop2pulu/2014-01-12%2021.24.33.jpg?dl=1&token_hash=AAEe84RliaJ8NKZNysERmzJMyrGgaEOwLgHFeM1BU_VRtA

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/fi8gfzggls5lprs/2014-01-12%2021.24.04.jpg?dl=1&token_hash=AAEjZJxQbfs3jMi3H2nPCiR4T73VKgHDfg1NkUPhQuLG5Q

Sounds like its time for the FilaPellitizer.

'FilaChopper'  Yeah!!! wink

The smaller pellets also means a more even color smile me likey!!!

8 (edited by CraigRK 2014-01-13 07:53:19)

Brilliant.  Well done.  don't know where you get the time!!!

Now how do I explain this to the wife?

Me wrote:

See dear, you mix this colour with these 'white' pellets, run them through the Filastruder which makes filament.

Wife wrote:

And then you print with the filament?

Me wrote:

No, you run it through this FilaChopper and make more pellets!!

Wife wrote:

Why would you do that?

Me wrote:

So, I can mix them with these 'white' pellets, run them through the Filastruder which makes filament.

smile

Masterbatch, ABS and PLA Pellets available for UK and Europe.
http://www.emakershop.com/Seller=1324

FilletIzer? :-)

This is awesome. I guess i know what im saving for now =/
How about running it down instead of having the pellets shoot up. You could then attach a hose/pipe to the bottom of the barrel and have the pellets shoot down to the floor into an air tight container/bucket with a hole cut in the lid. You would be able to collect basically an unlimited amount of pellets (limited only by your bucket/container size)

ronsii wrote:

'FilaChopper'  Yeah!!! wink

+1

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

I like FilaChopper.

What rpm is the drill press running at? Could you go faster?

Ralph

It was running t 1600 RPM and could go faster, but I would rather not with that setup.  I would need a way to get better alignment so it doesn't grind a bunch of iron in with the plastic.  Also I would rather shoot pellets out the end rather than up the back, but the drill press doesn't run backward.

I'm working on a version with a drill, since everyone has a drill.  Mine only goes up to 1400, but it isn't as scary as the press.

With some drill presses you just twist the drive belt to reverse the motor.

Ralph

Great idea, i have been wondering how to chop up filament.

Are you willing to share the design of the automatic filament feeder?

Yes, when I get it all worked out.  I want it to be usable with a drill or drill press, and be able to catch pellets going either direction since some drill presses aren't simple to reverse.

IanJohnson wrote:

It was running t 1600 RPM and could go faster, but I would rather not with that setup.  I would need a way to get better alignment so it doesn't grind a bunch of iron in with the plastic.  Also I would rather shoot pellets out the end rather than up the back, but the drill press doesn't run backward.

I'm working on a version with a drill, since everyone has a drill.  Mine only goes up to 1400, but it isn't as scary as the press.

Just put a small magnet in your pellet flow to capture any stray iron fillings.

J.

I was thinking of something like this youtube dot com / watch?v=UmL4kBOMUDY

Someone on these forums suggested a blendtec blender for grinding up failed prints.

$5 at the thrift store got me these to try

Post's attachments

blenders.jpg
blenders.jpg 120.3 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

In the original recyclebot docs, they tried blenders. By themselves, they didn't really work -- they left large pieces with a lot of dust, nothing pellet sized. However, once they submerged the plastic in water, it seemed to work reasonably well. You'll have to dehydrate the plastic afterwards, but give that a try.

Hi all, I am new to this forum. Recently, I was thinking of building a small home brew pelletizer. I wanted to be able to mix solid colorant powder with resin in the filastruder and pelletize it for use in my benchtop injection molding machine.
With a pelletizer one can run it through multiple extruder and pelletizer cycles until the color is consistent if needed.
With some searching I found this forum and Ian Johnson's excellent idea of using filastruder parts for the build.
My build is a bit different in that I used standard 1/2 inch black iron pipe and fittings for the barrel and a 5/8" X 8" wood auger bit with a 3/8 "shank for the screw.  For Youtube video of it in action search " Plastic Filament Pelletizer Powered By Drill".

Post's attachments

Filament pelletizer.jpg
Filament pelletizer.jpg 81.39 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Interesting, Jamesshuang.

It is unfortunate that the "Super Freeway" doesn't have all of its blades, as it should come with a grater that goes at the top of the container, shredding whatever you shove down the chute.

Does the pelletizer work with all type of filaments ? like nylon, flexible ones etc ?

Grinding filament to make filament... LOL

I think you have a start to the next DIY build there!

FFCP using copper buildplates.

It also means: re-extrude allover again.
instead, get a second heater band and head up entire barrel.
It will create long mixing area and not only speed up the extrusion, but also mix for longer distance resulting in more even color (if not perfectly even)
I get pretty good results with the barrel slightly moved away from the tip and fully insulated.
Also deflect cooling air from the fan by using some metal sheet of aluminum attached to the fan (or how ever u want to shield the nozzle from blowing air)