Topic: stepper motor ,class

Anybody know what class(NEMA  form factor) the extruder motor is ?

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

Re: stepper motor ,class

NEMA17

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

thanks

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

I have this stepper motor https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10846, but it says it's only rated at 3v.I just don't know what voltage the current SD extruder operates at.

5 (edited by Tomek 2014-01-14 17:53:53)

voltage rating does not matter so much as current rating. You should expect to run something 1-1.5A.
The thing is that a higher voltage is actually in a few ways worse, meaning, you dont want a "12v" stepper even though we're using 12v PSU, because a 12V stepper to be run quickly should have a much higher power supply. The stepper chip controls the current that goes through the motor so it doesn't burn out.

Remember that NEMA17 is a 2D size rating, and does not reflect how deep the motor is. I dont know the stock SD extruder motor size, but it's pretty standard. You just dont want to get a very tiny nema17, which there are some [relatively rare].

My favorite steppers have been from phidgets.com and qu-bd.com They actually both have quite good prices on them. Phidgets has a very interesting collection for other applications, as well.

The stepper satman linked is actually pretty good. Just realize you will have to double the E-step value for your extruder, because his link is a 0.9 degree motor and not 1.8 degree motor. This is actually good for the extruder, not really needed for the other motors.

E-step value, is that in config.h?

7 (edited by ronsii 2014-01-11 20:27:26)

yes, you can also adjust the steps by m code, just look through Ian's video on calibrating the extruder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZGdMc2ebPo

OK TY,I should have known.