1 (edited by thormj 2014-01-03 19:35:18)

Topic: Troubleshooting a stall?

I have a stock KS kit... except
I never did get the washers to work, so I tried to use a roll pin (which shattered), so I replaced the pin with a bit from an allen wrench.

That worked fine (I got ramen for the first 50 feet but I didn't really care because that was the cleanout cycle.
Next day (after reheating for 30 mins), the pipe clocked itself almost 80 degrees, so I took the 2 flanges apart and rotated the unit.

After figuring out the ramen problem, I ran it for ~4 hrs yesterday, producing about 15 feet of filament.... but then end seemed to be slowing down to a halt...

This morning, it clocked 80 more degrees and only extruded a blob -- motor was stalled a lot and "lurched forward" about every 1/8th revolution or so.

I've removed the nozzle.... is there something I should be looking for / do as part of a cleanout?
How do I get the ABS out of the nozzle and the tube?

PS.  How long is the insulation?  It seems my son ran off with it when I wasn't looking, so I need to get another piece...

Re: Troubleshooting a stall?

Heat to 180C, remove the nozzle with gloves on. Be careful not to bend the pipe - best to remove the 4 main bolts and pull the hot end out from the rest of the unit.

The nozzle may be clogged with debris.

Insulation is ~3" long. Make sure it is rated for 300C or better.

Re: Troubleshooting a stall?

Fixed.. working like a champ now.
The blockage was actually a large chip that was interfering with the auger and wouldn't free up until I heated the unit and removed material with a knitting hook....

Continuing the cleaning cycle, but very happy now.
Can't wait to order the filter and the new motor!