Topic: Fully Assembled Feedback

I hope everyone is enjoying their holidays!
I wanted to take the time and get some feedback from the Fully Assembled users. We are taking the time to review the enclosure and how we build these machines with the goal of making the next rendition of the fully assembled filastruder better and more user friendly. I am interested in knowing what you liked, what you didn't like, what was frustrating, and what can be improved. I just want some feedback before I start making and testing changes.

Thank you for your feedback and your comments.

Rob

Re: Fully Assembled Feedback

I like the design, but it's a little time consuming go change our the nozzle.  I end up having to pull the case apart just to get to the melt filter.  Could you run the FAs without the front panel? It probably isn't recommended, but it would make it easier...

Generally happy with the design. The only suggestion is that the bottom of the case should be more rigid so that the Filastruder can be operated while open. The current design requires the case t be fully assembled to operate, because the torque requires the full 'box', which makes 'tweaking' slow. If the top and side could be off when operating, it would be easier to see what's going on, and to make changes, then put the case back on.

Aside from that, the assembled unit has been fine.

cckens- You can run the machine without the front panel. I have found that all you need is the bottom panel and the two sides. I have two machines running like this now.

Now that being said, Laird, you have the newer more powerful motor right? How does this effect the enclosure besides requiring all of the panels on? One of my machines has a newer style motor and I am running it with just the side panels and the bottom.

I think an easier way to get at the nozzle without taking the machine apart would be good. Thanks for the feedback!!

OSPrinting wrote:

cckens- You can run the machine without the front panel. I have found that all you need is the bottom panel and the two sides. I have two machines running like this now.

Now that being said, Laird, you have the newer more powerful motor right? How does this effect the enclosure besides requiring all of the panels on? One of my machines has a newer style motor and I am running it with just the side panels and the bottom.

I think an easier way to get at the nozzle without taking the machine apart would be good. Thanks for the feedback!!

I've run with the top panel off, so there's the bottom, the sides, and the three vertical walls (nozzle, middle, motor mount) and it worked but there was enough wiggling around (when I had a blockage) that I don't leave it that way because it felt like it might bend enough to break the next time the motor had to 'work'.

Ideally what I'd like would be for the machine to be able to run 'bare' (just the bottom, the motor mount, and the augur mount) to work on it, and have the front, top and sides be non-structural, to the point where I could pull them off/on while it's running. That would make it much easier to do things like rewire and test, swap nozzles, make sure that the motor is driving the augur properly, etc.

I'm running the original motor - I couldn't get the new motor to drive the augur - the new motor's shaft is slightly smaller than the original motor, so after I upgraded I couldn't get traction with the pins, so I went back to the original motor. I'll probably give the new motor another try, since faster is better, and I have plenty of washers. :-)

Now that I think about it, it'd be good for the assembled unit be designed so that the Filastruder can run easily vertically as well as horizontally. To do that, it should have a longer necked hopper, run at a 45 degree angle back until it's higher than the back, with the hole in the top cover further back to accommodate the angle. Attached to that would be a 45 degree bend piece that you could turn whichever way is 'up'. Then the 'sturdier could be run either vertically or horizontally pretty easily, by turning the bend 'up' and rotating the PID controller (which is square).

Perhaps this weekend I'll mod my case to see what I can come up with that I like better than what I'm doing now. Which is that there's a bottle in at a 45 degree angle, held into the hopper with an elastic band. Which works, but it's not elegant.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am working on a way to open up the machine while it is running without compromising the machines integrity. I am going to have it cut up tonight and I will test it out tomorrow. I like the idea of adding a spine to the machine. That way the machine is support well and the enclosure is not the only thing holding it all together.

I am also going to try adding mounting holes to the spine. With threaded T-nuts on the end, it can easily be screwed onto mounts.

I have made some changes and I wanted to show you guys what I have so far. Some of the pictures are things I tried out.

http://imgur.com/VXj4Vsx
I tried splitting the back panel. That way you could remove it and work on the machine easily. I was not happy with the way it looked back together. With the addition of a spine, I found you could remove the whole back panel instead.

http://imgur.com/8vs15MM
This shows the two pieces on the back. I did not like the way it looked. I was not happy with having a seam.

http://imgur.com/oQ8hXhZ
This shows the new guide assembly. I made it so there is a threaded insert on the front panel and you just screw it in. This way the guide assemble will be taken off for shipping. The guide works great and I am seeing 1.75 +-.03-.04. I have had no issues printing with the filament.

http://imgur.com/iGdg0Gf
This shows the new enclosure front (without etchings). I shortened it by a few inches and also gave it a lower profile. This way it can fit into a box and still have space on the edges. Don't mind the burn marks, we will be using masking material for the final versions.

I also added a spine to replace the bottom panel. That way the back panel can be removed while the machine is running. This really adds strength to the machine.

Let me know if you guys have any comments or anything else you would like to see. Thanks

Rob

8 (edited by laird 2014-01-29 23:18:44)

I like the vertical front, as it'll make it easier to pack (I bring mine to Maker Faires, etc.).

The new guide assembly also looks great. It's simpler to use, so no more wondering where all the arms are supposed to me. And it'll be easier to open the case - the old design has to be un-screwed and re-screwed to open the case.

The split back is weird. But on the plus side it would make it easier to open the top, since you'd only have to unscrew the top half's screws instead of all of the screws on the back. You mention a 'spine'. Does that mean a stronger bottom holding things together, so you can run with the back and top of the case off?

And it looks like with the top off it's still strong enough to run with the new motor, which would be great! Then you could run it open, make sure all is well, and bolt it up. Is that your intention?

The new guide is nice, but it does make it a bit difficult to adjust air flow.  If there were some gimbal where it attached to the front you'd be able readjust where needed, but otherwise a nicer addition.

Of course with me running without the front panel it's a little useless, but it's still a decent mod to the case for new machines.

Being able to get into the case is paramount for repairs.  The removal of the back without having to shut the machine down is a good feature.  Sometimes we just have to see how everything turns when troubleshooting.

All told, Rob, a nice addition to the casing.

+1