Topic: Electrics V0.2 Beta with REX PID

Hi all, (yes i know its taken a while for me to finally get off my bum and build my V0.2 Beta, life got in the way, new house, new baby, new job, and yip new country all in one)
PID controler is RKC Instruments INC
REX-C100FK02-V-AN

Ive wired up as per instructions but something is tripping my CBs in the house on the filastruder.

So far wiring is as follows.

Male side of 3 prong cord (ie plug side)

Black to fuse

Other side of fuse to both outer sides of my two switches

White to PID2

Green currently connected to Green on Female 3 prong cord (im in testing so not connected onto auger)

Female side of 3 prong cord (ie side plugging into power block)

Black to switch 1 (my motor one) ((This works when I switch it on))

White to PID2

Green as above connects to male side green wire on 3 prong cord

PID Controller

There is a jumper goes from PID1 to PID 3

PID 2 and 4 Have goes to heater colar

PID 9 and 10 go to thermal couple (9 -ive, 10 +ive)

When I switch motor, works, as soon as I switch the other switch, PID lights up for about a quater of a second and my CB pops for the plug ring main.

I know if I undo PID number 4 it doesnt pop the CB's but it also doesnt light up the PID or heat the colar since ive disconnected it.

Any ideas

Thanks in advance

Neil

Re: Electrics V0.2 Beta with REX PID

Is it also popping the fuse in the fuse block? Is the breaker standard or GFCI?

Fuse on filastruder is intact each time

Now Ive had to take a picture as its to high for me to have a look on my breaker panel,
the CB that goes is a square D, SQOE 063030 which is a 63A double pole RCCB RCD

Neil

4 (edited by ronsii 2013-12-27 18:00:44)

I see your breaker is a RCD  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device ,a GFCI as we call it here smile that means some how ground is providing a path for some of your current to flow.

Now as I can get the motor to turn, would you suspect a fault on the PID?

All the ends of the wires I soldered first before placing in the PID to stop fray ends.

Its now dark here so next inspection will be possibly tomorrow morning before I do my 4 sectors in the evening.
Unfortunately im lates from tomorrow so next day off in 4 days if I don't get to checking in the mornings.

Also quick question im assuming the auger should only come to the end of the nipple and not protrude out to the coupler section, or al least im hoping you will say that's correct since no combination could I get it to reach further than the end of the nipple

That auger placement is correct.

Try disconnecting the thermocouple and heater band from the PID controller and see if that powers up the PID without popping the breaker.

7 (edited by neil.thorpe 2013-12-28 08:52:34)

Disconnecting the Heater band and thermocouple is yielding the same result.

The moment I switch the main switch on the PID lights for a quater of a second and the RCD trips, fuse remains in tact.

If I just use the other switch connected to the motor, that works.

So the only wires connected to the PID are the two power wires? Remove the jumper also. If that's the case I'm pretty confused, as I can't see how it would create leakage current that would trip the breaker.

9 (edited by ronsii 2013-12-28 20:09:20)

Hi Neil, would it be possible to take some pics of the wiring from different angles? never know we might spot something... although it sounds like there isn't much to see smile

unless the three prong plug has an electrical defect inside it...

just thought of one other thing... you mentioned new house.... has anything else been plugged into this electrical outlet that you are using? I have come across an outlet or two that have been wired wrong to GFCI's before wink

10 (edited by neil.thorpe 2013-12-29 11:31:03)

Okay, removed bridge wire so just PID1, and 2 connected Same result

Im guessing there is a minimum number of posts before attaching pics etc

So try the direct link below just type h t t p : / / (Without spaces) and then paste rest of the line in.

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/690/zxdk.jpg/

imageshack.us/a/img823/1299/7lhc.jpg

Tried in different plug sockets and same result.

My suspicion the cord should be good as the motor runs without blowing the fuse which means the power is making it through the power block to the 12v side with no current leakage.

EDIT:- Ive now disconnected the PID controller so all thats left is the Motor, and as before RCD doesnt trip, its something to do with the PID controller but I have no idea what.

Only think I can think is that the wrong wire colors are attached to the wall plug. It is possible the company that made the cable mixed up the wires. If you have a multimeter:

Black should connect to the small black prong
White should connect to the large flat prong
Green should connect to the round prong.

If white and green are reversed, what you observed would happen.

12 (edited by neil.thorpe 2013-12-30 09:31:00)

I was just thinking that today at work, ill check that in the morning before my slightly earlier shift.  Will update either way

Good news, yes white and green are not in there normal positions, swapped over and it powers up, not had time to plug heater band etc and fit up but I think it should all now work, have mid after noon shifts tomorrow then two days off to get back to testing.

Thanks for your help
Neil