1 (edited by Diecrusher 2012-11-09 20:09:17)

Topic: Problems printing a hollow cylinder.

I am tip-toeing my way thru Skeinforge but have still to get it all sorted.

I am trying to print a hollow cylinder which was originally modeled as a solid. 

I know that I could shell this in my modeling software but I thought that I would be essentially doing the same thing setting fill to 0% in Skeinforge and perhaps adding a shell but when I print it still prints lines across the hollow area of the cylinder.

It looks like a bird's nest inside when I am done...... sad

Re: Problems printing a hollow cylinder.

If I understand you correct, does the extruder extrude tiny strings of filament from on side to the other?
Have you checked the Retraction settings? This will retract the filament when it is travels in just air.

Solidoodle 2 - Repetier Host V0.82 - Slic3r 0.9.7

RSandven wrote:

If I understand you correct, does the extruder extrude tiny strings of filament from on side to the other?
Have you checked the Retraction settings? This will retract the filament when it is travels in just air.

At first I thought that this was the issue to but its extruding 'solid' strings from one side to the other between layers not just 'wisps' of filament.

The graphics screen in Pronterface shows the line too so I think that it is being coded that way.

Thanks for the input. smile

Pronterface will still show travel moves.  Are the lines crossing the center a different color from the rest?  Try bumping retraction speed up to 50 and increase the distance a little as well.

5 (edited by Diecrusher 2012-11-09 23:16:20)

I will check if the cross travel moves are a different color. 

It does appear though that it is actually extruding a full bead on the cross moves and not just oozing.

I will try remodeling the part as a shell instead of a solid and see if that makes a difference.

Diecrusher wrote:

I will check if the cross travel moves are a different color. 

It does appear though that it is actually extruding a full bead on the cross moves and not just oozing.

I will try remodeling the part as a shell instead of a solid and see if that makes a difference.

Ever get this resolved?

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.