Topic: Extrusion Machine - Temperature Control Question

Hi guys,

I'm building an extrusion machine and have a question about temperature control. Will a normal electro-magnetic relay work with a PID temperature controller? Most of the designs I've seen use a solid state relay, but I accidentally ordered a regular relay.

Thanks,

Re: Extrusion Machine - Temperature Control Question

it will work but depending on the duty cycle of the heating elements and the mtbf rating on the relay it will have a finite lifespan, Elmoret(Tim) discussed the pros and cons of this in his filastruder thread... I think.

Yup, simple calculation based on rated electrical cycles under load and control loop period.

Simple answer: Use it, and when it burns out, replace it with an SSR for longer life span.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

5 (edited by Tomek 2013-12-19 16:56:23)

Hazer wrote:

Simple answer: Use it, and when it burns out, replace it with an SSR for longer life span.

Not quite so simple. When it "burns out" it can burn out CLOSED (power on). So your answer is only suitable if your extrusion system (like the filastruder) is designed so that a failed 100% power would not lead to catastrophic heat rise.

They burn out closed only when over-loaded, not due to over-cycling. I have never seen one in 15 years that died closed because they exceeded expected life cycles.

The main reason is that every time it closes during normal operation, it sparks (regardless of current). They slowly build up carbonization. The contacts get so dirty, they finally no longer conduct.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

Hazer wrote:

They burn out closed only when over-loaded, not due to over-cycling. I have never seen one in 15 years that died closed because they exceeded expected life cycles.

The main reason is that every time it closes during normal operation, it sparks (regardless of current). They slowly build up carbonization. The contacts get so dirty, they finally no longer conduct.

I can agree with Hazer
happens to the relays in my cnc lathe when they go out

Powder coated steel enclosure, 1/4" Surface grounded hardened aluminum plate, MK2A Heat bed, .200 Polished fused quartz plate, Machined quick change hot bed mount, E3D hot end, Ramps 1.4, DRV8825 stepper motor drivers

Thanks for the advice guys!

I ordered a SSR to be on the safe side. I may try out the normal relay in the meantime though.

Why don't you try some Vrp power line conditioner which is quite efficient and works when power is continuous.