Topic: Thrust plate

I have run my Filastruder about 70-80 hrs. I saw that the thrust plate was bending a little bit and thought that it would be fine but it snapped. Any Ideas what might have caused this?

Post's attachments

20131128_211844.jpg
20131128_211844.jpg 2 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Thrust plate

Wow - that is some seriously impressive carnage. I haven't seen anything like that in testing or other users.

You should have stopped after the first sign of it bending. If it was bending, it was allowing the compressive force to be transferred to the motor, which it is not designed for. I would bet that the face of the shaft collar wasn't perpendicular to the shaft, resulting in cyclic uneven loading, or excessive loading of some other kind. What temperature were you running at? What material? What nozzle?

I guess this means I should migrate back to steel for the thrust bearing plate. I was trying to reduce part count, but one failure is one too many.

Innovate, if you email me a few more pictures ([email protected]) we'll work out what parts need to be replaced (probably a barrel, auger, pipe coupling, and new thrust plate) and go from there.

I was not getting any serious bend just minor. After, I saw that one of the thrust plates was cracking so I switched the pieces and thought that it would be fine it had been running well until it snapped. I  just installed the 1.75 nozzle melt filter have been running at 190 c, Abs pellets MG94 from OSP. It had been running great for about 40-45hrs. No problem Tim ill email you some more pictures.

Looking at this the one thing I find odd is that I don't see the white spacers between the thrust plate and the vertical mount?

Agreed, but I thought perhaps it was just the angle of the picture. We'll see!

6 (edited by innovate 2013-12-01 06:22:18)

Looking at this the one thing I find odd is that I don't see the white spacers between the thrust plate and the vertical mount?

Its the angle of the picture. Unfortunately, I only took two pics and they are  the same angle and disassembled the thrust plate but it is pretty much common sense to put the spacers.

Agreed, but I thought perhaps it was just the angle of the picture. We'll see!

Tim you don't have to send me any replacement parts. I still have the original thrust plate I will just flip it and see if that works you have sent me a lot of replacement parts already and appreciate the great customer service. My main point was to see if anyone else had encountered the same problem.

Post's attachments

20131128_211850.jpg
20131128_211850.jpg 1.91 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

20131130_220942.jpg 1.61 mb, 1 downloads since 2013-12-01 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I don't know why I enjoyed the picture of the carnage so much... It's beautiful...
Though obviously unfortunate for you!