Topic: LED Mod

So i saw on youtube that makerbots have LEDs that change color... Im not sure if they change color due to status or if its a random thing that it changes colors.

But I think it would be cool to have the Solidoodle change colors due to status.

for instance:

White means printer is ready or on standby

Blue means the printer is cool and not ready to print anything

And it glows from blue to red when its heated enough to start printing...

Pulsing means its processing??...

I dont know, I think it would be a cool mod, but I don't know enough about electronics or programing to even do any of this. Just an idea thrown out there.

Re: LED Mod

I'm sure its possible with a little bit of a firmware mod.

It would depend on whether they installed rgb LEDs or warm white. In the photos it looks like just warm white. I was thinking about installing some extra rgb5050 stripping, in combo with a controller- perhaps someone could confirm the installed LEDs run off of 12v?

Grand Rapids, Michigan
SD2 with Sanguinololu board, glass bed mod, E3d_v5 bowden version hotend (currently direct drive), Lawsy Mk5 jigsaw replacement, octopi printserver, drv8825(tiny troubles)

Well, firmware and the addition of rgb leds of course...

why all people with a 3d printer want to change it to a disco ball? ? big_smile

ysb wrote:

why all people with a 3d printer want to change it to a disco ball? ? big_smile

WHAT!!???

HOW DARE YOU!!!??? mad

YOU THINK I WANT TO MAKE MY PRINTER A DISCOBALL!!???

NO!.... I want to make everything a discoball.. tongue

UV LEDs would be nice for printing with GITD ABS.

OMG, I love GITD everything!!!

I used to sleep with them when i was a kid... even painted light switches and splattered my ceiling to look like stars when i went to sleep. It kinda splattered all over the place so it looked like a scene from CSI and I was doing nasty stuff all over the room when the black light was on. lol

I actually order some GITD PLA, and blue leds work great for charging it, too. Hopefully I can find the right settings to print with it.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
SD2 with Sanguinololu board, glass bed mod, E3d_v5 bowden version hotend (currently direct drive), Lawsy Mk5 jigsaw replacement, octopi printserver, drv8825(tiny troubles)

I can confirm that the Replicator LEDs change colours depending on the printer status. You can also set a custom colour from RepG.

Cool feature, but I'm glad the solidoodle doesn't cost what the replicator does, I'll live without flashing LEDs for now.

I do like the idea if being able to change the color, but I think more importantly for me would be an audio chime when the print is done.  Do you think this is possible with the printer? or would I need to do it with the software?

I'd prefer it if the printing software sent me an email on completion. This doesn't help if you want to go the SD card route of course.

This Kickstarter for a 3D printer controller adds an MP3 player to the printer...
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/104 … r-by-elefu

I don't know enough about it to know if it could be added to the 644p or not.

Yeah, an email would work great.. or sms

An Audio Chime eh?
Well with a little hacking, yes. The Stepper motors make a little noise themselves. With the proper end.gcode, musical tones can be accomplished. This wouldn't be super loud, but it would sound distinctive. Of course, you could just mount a small buzzer, and have ardino buzz the tones in. What's the fun in that?

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

I think I'd just like to figure out how to add a relay or some output from the board that I can flip with G-code.... then I can do pretty much whatever I want.  I could read that output and have my home automation turn on lights, take a picture, email me, send me a text message, or whatever else I'd like.

I was looking at reprap g-codes and it sounds like there is a board that has a buzzer and there are gcodes for it to even play songs.  I don't think that will be too hard to add.