1 (edited by elmoret 2012-11-05 02:33:26)

Topic: Solidoodle 2 Current Draw

Hello all,

Thought I'd share my measurements for the Solidoodle 2's current draw. I'm thinking about upgrading the PSU, so it seemed like a good idea to take some measurements first. My SD2 is fully stock. All measurements taken with a Fluke 179 multimeter.

Idle (no motors): 0.19A
Z axis moved: 0.492A
X or Y moved: 1.68A. (this is the value the SD always returns to when the motors are on, if the heaters are off. It is also the baseline for future measurements.)
Extruder heater on: 3.69-3.72A
Then I turned the extruder heater off. (back to 1.68A)
Heated bed on: 5.46A
Heated bed off: 1.68A
All on: 7.25A.

So, the SD pulls roughly 7.25A. It is worth noting that the voltage drop across the alligator clips and Fluke 179 was 0.8v, so I saw 11.1v at the Sanguinololu terminals.

The PSU bundled with the SD is rated at 10A. I'm kinda bummed it gets so hot delivering ~7A. Anyway, it looks like a PSU rated at a reputable 100w is pretty appropriate. It also means there isn't much headroom for mods on the stock PSU.

Hope this helps!

Re: Solidoodle 2 Current Draw

elmoret, thank you for the detailed amperage findings- this is great to know for modding!

Grand Rapids, Michigan
SD2 with Sanguinololu board, glass bed mod, E3d_v5 bowden version hotend (currently direct drive), Lawsy Mk5 jigsaw replacement, octopi printserver, drv8825(tiny troubles)