1 (edited by Tomek 2013-11-06 19:15:50)

Topic: Combinations for a lower-warping ABS? (searching/questioning)

Hi everyone!

I found the other day that makergear sells a [very expensive] "low-warp" 30% 'less warping' ABS. I was curious how it was made.

I suppose it's a different mix of the A, B, and S of ABS. I am inquiring as to whether anyone has tried altering the ratios significantly [presumably by trying to "mix" a portion of pure plastic pellets to the standard ABS pellets] 

Alternatively, I also noticed that engineeringtoolbox.com said that ABS with glass particle fibers has a coefficient of thermal expansion less than half of regular ABS. I wonder if the low-fiber percentages we can get with extruded filament might be useful.  From what I understand, Laybrick, Laywood, and the fiber-PLA on kickstarter, are just regular plastics with a % content of additional material. I for one though am not eager to source or work with <.3mm glass fiber strands (nor do I have a filastruder yet [ordered recently]...I am getting ahead of myself.)

So with all this said, I'm trying to ask if anyone has made some experiments. For that matter, is there any wiki where people are adding what kind mixes they've tried besides standard ABS and PLA?  Because by anecdotal I know there are some experimenters, and Tim has also said he's tried 20% nylon 80% ABS, but I don't see any place where it's well cataloged.

Regards,
-Tomek

Re: Combinations for a lower-warping ABS? (searching/questioning)

Personal experience:

ABS (couple different grades, pure and blended, virgin and regrind)
PLA (4043D only)
Duraflex TPE
PA2200 Nylon

I've heard of people doing LDPE and PP with a Filastruder. Looking forward to some experimentation when I get time, but that won't be soon. It was kind of the whole idea of launching the Filastruder - let people experiment with new polymers themselves to leverage hundreds of people and their ideas, instead of just my own.

This makes me think - should we start collecting data in a more methodical way? Perhaps a database...

Does the Filastruder have a wiki page? If not, maybe that's a place to start data accumulation?

-"Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool."
-"As soon as you make something fool proof...along comes an idiot."
-"I have not failed.  I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."  ~Thomas Edison

I made a Google doc, no one ever added to it. Jesse made this:

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2733/pla … t-reviews/

I'd love for something to take off! It is often difficult to get people to put quality data in one place. Same deal with attempts at filament reviews.

elmoret wrote:

I made a Google doc, no one ever added to it. Jesse made this:

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2733/pla … t-reviews/

I'd love for something to take off! It is often difficult to get people to put quality data in one place. Same deal with attempts at filament reviews.

That thread's got some great material in it. Perhaps we could start by making that discussion 'sticky' and promoting it a bit?

I can sticky anything you guys like. Already have 5. Is 6 too many? Which should be deleted/combined/linked within?

Tomek wrote:

Hi everyone!

I found the other day that makergear sells a [very expensive] "low-warp" 30% 'less warping' ABS. I was curious how it was

Maker gear doesn't are you referring to maker geeks?

http://www.makergeeks.com/smlwafi3mm1k.html

Powder coated steel enclosure, 1/4" Surface grounded hardened aluminum plate, MK2A Heat bed, .200 Polished fused quartz plate, Machined quick change hot bed mount, E3D hot end, Ramps 1.4, DRV8825 stepper motor drivers

techbuilder2175 wrote:
Tomek wrote:

Hi everyone!

I found the other day that makergear sells a [very expensive] "low-warp" 30% 'less warping' ABS. I was curious how it was

Maker gear doesn't are you referring to maker geeks?

http://www.makergeeks.com/smlwafi3mm1k.html

yes! A slip of my memory. Thanks

I did some printing with this and it did seem to be better from a warp standpoint, but its still not warp free...

I am curious exactly what they changed though. I never got a very clear answer.