1 (edited by shindigs 2013-11-02 13:07:31)

Topic: Auger/barrel fit problems

Hello all

I'm about to start assembling my Filastruder unit, but I can't seem to get the auger to fit into the barrel while test fitting it.  The inside of the barrel is very rough and feels like it has a lot of contaminants, so this might be reducing the ID enough to cause problems.  I've removed the the burrs from the feed slot (I think the documentation refers to this as the "nipple") and each end of the barrel with a Dremel.  Is there some trick I'm missing to getting the auger to slide into the barrel nicely?

Re: Auger/barrel fit problems

What's your serial number? We had a small batch of barrels with debris inside. Can you post a picture of the inside of the barrel? If it is defective, we will get you a new one.

3 (edited by shindigs 2013-11-02 13:25:49)

The serial number of my unit is #657.  I've attached a picture showing the inside of the barrel.  Please let me know if this looks normal.

Thanks!

Post's attachments

Filastruder #657 Barrel.JPG 80.82 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Hmm that looks fine, and that serial number is outside of the questionable area. Can you slide the auger in from either end? How far does it get - can you tell if it's hanging up on something?

I've tried all four possible directions (auger entering either end of the barrel backwards and forwards) and I can only get the auger about 0.5" into the barrel, which is the depth that my Dremel tool reached.  If this is normal for the barrel, I'm not sure how you would ever produce clean filament.  It feels like the inside is covered in sand pretty much.

The initial purge cycle knocks off the loose stuff. Its actually important for the barrel to be rough inside, or it won't build melt pressure.

We can send you another barrel anyway - send an email to [email protected] with your address and serial number.

I had this issue too Tim. It's why I ran the flex hone through mine. I have since extruded, but I'm wondering if I took too much "roughness " off? My filament extrudes at 1.66mm @ 177 C. which is ok, but I would like it to be slightly larger diameter. I'm afraid if I drop the temp much more I'll over work the motor? Can I get just a new nipple? I will gladly pay for it.

Sorry for the thread highjack shindigs:)

-"Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool."
-"As soon as you make something fool proof...along comes an idiot."
-"I have not failed.  I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."  ~Thomas Edison

8 (edited by awptickes 2013-11-02 16:28:50)

Wow, this describes my problem exactly. I used a dremel just as the OP described to grind out the burrs in each end, and I still can't seem to get the auger to fit without significant force -- the kind of force that makes you think "Something has to be wrong. I'm going to break this."

I'm almost convinced the barrel is a bit too small for the auger.

My SN is 662.

EDIT: I was actually about to walk out to the garage and see if I have a flex-hone the right size... I'll wait on that though.

jgharris80 wrote:

I had this issue too Tim. It's why I ran the flex hone through mine. I have since extruded, but I'm wondering if I took too much "roughness " off? My filament extrudes at 1.66mm @ 177 C. which is ok, but I would like it to be slightly larger diameter. I'm afraid if I drop the temp much more I'll over work the motor? Can I get just a new nipple? I will gladly pay for it.

Sorry for the thread highjack shindigs:)

The filament size is not drastically affected by barrel roughness. The nozzles are undersized intentionally - 1.65mm filament will feed fine in a 1.75mm hotend, but some hotends jam on 1.85mm. So, I aimed for 1.70mm +/-0.05mm. You can redrill the nozzle to be a size bigger and run hotter if you like.

I am having a similar problem.  Measured the outer diameter of the auger bit, and it is 15.7mm, while the inner diameter of the barrel is only 15.6mm, at least as far in as I can get my calipers.  Which of these is out of tolerances?

Filastruder #644

K

Barrel is wrong. Email me as listed above.

I'm having problems with this as well.
Took my calipers to the auger and measured it at 5/8". Inner diameter of the barrel is about 1/16 less than that, measured at both ends. No way I can test fit the auger at either end. sad
Filastruder #652

Yup. Known issue. Email me for a replacement.

14 (edited by jcflowers1 2013-11-21 22:31:13)

I have Serial Number 637 with what I think is the same problem. As a result, both the barrel and the auger are damaged. This photo only shows part of the damage. Is there any way you could replace these, Tim?
Thanks,
Jim

Post's attachments

SerNo637.JPG
SerNo637.JPG 1.8 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Unfortunately no, that's not part of this. If it fit and rotated smoothly upon initial assembly, then the barrel was not defective. What you see is a result of not properly deburring during assembly. If you email me at filastruder @ gmail, I can send you parts at cost.

EDIT: It also looks like a pipe wrench was possibly used on the long side of the barrel, which is expressly advised against in the assembly instructions as it can bend the barrel.

Hi Tim,
have the same problem to fit auger/barrel, by all 4 kits #645-648. Is it useful to let the barrel drill out by a metalworker, or get i other problems with it?

Thanks,
Mario

Mario,

645-648 should not be part of the recall, but I am willing to send you replacements. To confirm - you have throughly ground the lips off, correct?

A machine shop can bore/ream the barrels, but it may change the finish on the inside. You need some surface roughness.

Tim,
i´ve hone down the lips off with a Dremel - throughly . The inner Diameter after grounding are 15.4-15.6 mm, think i need 15.7 mm. There is no way to put it together without "violence". Before you send replacements (to Germany) i´ll try it by myself, any idea to get the surface roughness after drilling out?

Thanks,
Mario

A rough hone might do it, hard to say. I haven't tried to bore/ream one.

I received my new barrel sometime last week, and I sat down to do the build yesterday afternoon. It all fit very well, and I'll be finishing the build later this week, after I pick up some more wire.

I just received mine this week #714 and had the same issue. Took some tinkering but it turns out the milled space for the hopper had burrs that prevented the auger from going in smoothly. After some more deburing auger went it fine, maybe that might help some others.

gabechewy wrote:

I just received mine this week #714 and had the same issue. Took some tinkering but it turns out the milled space for the hopper had burrs that prevented the auger from going in smoothly. After some more deburing auger went it fine, maybe that might help some others.

This is not the same issue, and #714 is not part of the bad batch.

All barrels must be *completely* deburred.

Elmoret,

I tried assembling my Filastruder about a year ago and was stopped by this same problem.  The drill bit will not turn in the pipe.  I've tried to grind out the pipe, but to no avail it's still too tight.  Are you still sending replacements?

shindigs wrote:

Hello all

I'm about to start assembling my Filastruder unit, but I can't seem to get the auger to fit into the barrel while test fitting it.  The inside of the barrel is very rough and feels like it has a lot of contaminants, so this might be reducing the ID enough to cause problems.  I've removed the the burrs from the feed slot (I think the documentation refers to this as the "nipple") and each end of the barrel with a Dremel.  Is there some trick I'm missing to getting the auger to slide into the barrel nicely?

Sorry to hear that.
I do wish the team would do better job at prepping their shit before sending it out to buyers.
I am sorry i said that.

There is no harm to smooth out the inside.
I my self took sand paper and wrapped it around a screw driver got inside nearly polished. Less contamination that way.
Do it your self, it will save your filter from clogging in the future.

Tony, look at the date on this thread. 4 years ago. Things have improved since then. LakeWachonia's kit was shipped years ago as well, already in communication with him via email about it.