Topic: Print cost calculator

I have been manufacturing parts with my printer, and remember seeing somewhere in repetier a setting for print cost. Can someone run me through how to set this up? Thanks

Re: Print cost calculator

I think pronterface had what you were looking for. Cura also has it.

If you pay ~$35/kg then it comes out to be roughly 3.5 cents per cubic centimeter. Slic3r displays how much filament is used in cubic centimeters so you can do the math pretty easy. If you are selling prints you should look more at the time involved then the material costs. A medium sized print will probably only use $1 in material but will take 1.5-3 hours to print. Also, for high quality prints at .1mm layer heights, your print time is going to be significantly longer than it would be at .3mm layer heights. Yet they will use roughly the same amount of filament.

So figure out at what point you are willing to give up time on your printer and charge accordingly. I have seen anything from $7-30/hour plus a $10-25 setup fee (time taken to prepare/repair model and slice it for printing).

Sorry, I didn't answer your question to well.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

You could write a little post-processing script that outputs to the console when slicing is done and execute it automatically from RH.

3d printer calculator
http://delsyd.com/post/30388051193/3d-p … cation-the

Ultimaker S3.

I'm actually making scale model parts, so the print is just a small portion of the cost, just curious on some of the less labor intensive parts where I should be pricing stuff at. The cubic centimeter conversion should work well for me though. 2n2r5, I feel like you are my personal help line. Thanks for the help!

I will give the calculator a try tonight also.

My cost calculator is very simple. I know I paid $40 for 2lbs and I know how much the part weights (a small electronic scale is all you need), do some simple ratio math and you get the answer. You can even create a simple Excel sheet that calculates the cost of part for you.

I decided to go all-out and create a print calculator that runs on a ti-83+ or 84 calculator
Oh the irony wink

anyways, it converts the volume of filament into all the other parameters which can be determined from the given information.

If anyone wants it, I can post it without any trouble.

9 (edited by Tomek 2013-11-11 03:21:08)

I have a print calculator based on a couple of things

(1) volume , a "profit" coefficient, and a filament per Kg cost (+shipping.)
(2) a "per part surcharge" (for me, $1)
(3) acetone treatment (lot charge, you can run the script for multiple parts at once.)
and recently added
(4) machine time, based on 12 hours a day and a desire to get $XXX dollars per week if the full 12 hrs were used each day. 

I use Cura to estimate build time, or if I'm quoting post-print then i'll use repetier's software. I wish repetier told you estimated build time when you cut code, but it seems to only offer volume.

My calculator is a matlab script...So it would only be useful if someone has that. And if they do, they probably can write the short script easily.