Topic: Firmware still not updating.... even with new chip from SD

Still having the same issues with not being able to update the firmware to lawsy's latest version of marlin.

I just recieved a new chip from SD today.  It is installed correctly, no damaged pins, orientated the right way, etc.

When I try to update I get the same error as before.

avrdude:  stk500_getsync() : not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude:  stk500_disable() : protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I've tried different usb port, different baud, OSX on MacBook Pro, Win7 on MacBook Pro, Winxp on Dell D600.....same result.  I tried all the reset button timing tricks too to no avail.

So.... I figured that maybe the latest firmware was already installed by SD.  I fire up Pronterface but the machine won't connect and I just hear funny whirring noises inside the machine so I figure that perhaps nothing is installed on the chip.

I go back to the original chip sent with the SD and it connects just fine but still can't update the firmware.

What gives?????

Re: Firmware still not updating.... even with new chip from SD

Having the same firmware on the microcontroller as the one you are uploading shouldn't stop it from working. It will overwrite regardless.

Not sure if there is a way to test for a bootloader besides the upload working. Have you tried googling that?

3 (edited by Diecrusher 2012-10-31 05:04:37)

I will try googling again to see if their are any tricks to try.

I just put the original chip that I recieved the SD with and Pronterfaces starts right up and I am printing as I type this... no problem.

Just couldn't get the new chip working nor could I write firmware to it.  Maybe their is something wrong with my Sanguino board?  I am at a total loss.

I will contact Solidoodle in a couple of days..... I know they have more important matters to deal with (Sandy).... I hope they are okay.

watching with interest .. having played with (and written) quite a few bootloaders I know connection hassles/timing can be a problem.

i assume ver 22 (however it was numbered) is still the correct version to use, no chance a later version is being used now ?

There is an experimental Marlin branch for Arduino 1.0.1, but we are still forked from the main branch which uses 022. If the wrong Arduino IDE was being used, it would not compile and he wouldn't get as far as that error.

Diecrusher:
Have you tried another USB cable? I had some really strange problems with firmware upgrade earlier because of a bad USB cable. After replacing it, everything worked like a charm..

lawsy wrote:

There is an experimental Marlin branch for Arduino 1.0.1, but we are still forked from the main branch which uses 022. If the wrong Arduino IDE was being used, it would not compile and he wouldn't get as far as that error.

ah, I thought it was a seperate entity. cheers

8 (edited by Diecrusher 2012-11-05 20:21:53)

krist10an wrote:

Diecrusher:
Have you tried another USB cable? I had some really strange problems with firmware upgrade earlier because of a bad USB cable. After replacing it, everything worked like a charm..

Well, while I wait for the replacement ATMega644p chip w/ a bootloader on it to be sent from SD, I thought that I might be adventurous and learn to bootload the chip myself.

I picked up a Arduino Uno and followed various online guides to using it with a breadboard setup as a AVRprogrammer.

Funny thing is I get the same errors as when I tried upgrading the firmware to that chip with the SD's Sanguino.

Perhaps the chip is just 'Bricked'.

Hold in reset button, press upload, keep reset button pressed until you get "binaries" message, release reset button.
Wolaha

Diecrusher, I have read that there are various fuse settings on the microcontroller that must match the programmer. In an Uno, the MC uses an external oscillator, but being programmed by itself it will use its internal oscillator and need a different setting.

lawsy wrote:

Diecrusher, I have read that there are various fuse settings on the microcontroller that must match the programmer. In an Uno, the MC uses an external oscillator, but being programmed by itself it will use its internal oscillator and need a different setting.

Any suggestions what to try? 

Like I said, I am a complete Arduino novice so besides my Google searchs any hand holding would be appreciated! smile

I only have limited experience with this as well. Any changes need to be made in the boards.txt file, or avrconf files, but they are quite technical.

XaroRSA wrote:

Hold in reset button, press upload, keep reset button pressed until you get "binaries" message, release reset button.
Wolaha

I believe those are the steps for uploading firmware not burning the bootloader.

I get no "binaries" message when attempting to burn the bootloader. 

I do get the "binaries" message when trying to upload the firmware but, again, there is no bootloader on the chip....

Diecrusher wrote:
XaroRSA wrote:

Wolaha

I believe those are the steps for uploading firmware not burning the bootloader.

I get no "binaries" message when attempting to burn the bootloader. 

I do get the "binaries" message when trying to upload the firmware but, again, there is no bootloader on the chip....

What sort of AVR programmer are you using to burn the bootloader? If you use TinyISP we might be able to help.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.