Topic: New bed level probe idea

Marlin now has the ability to take readings from a probe over the area of the bed and then adjust the Z axis on the fly to compensate for out of level or warped beds.  Most probes use a pin that has to be extended and retracted, but here is a demonstration of using the hot end by itself as a bed probe.  The hot end mount is hinged on one side so when it gets pressed against the bed it moves up slightly and triggers a switch.

\

Re: New bed level probe idea

Ian
Are you going to add this upgrade to your machine.

Ultimaker S3.

So, does Marlin only look at it during the first level, or would this trigger during a mid-print curling/lift?

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

This actually seems like it might be possible with the stock solidoodle since the whole head can rock around the front rail a little. Need some sort of magnet you could activate to push the back up and rock the nozzle forward a bit, then detect increased force pushing back when you push the bed up into the nozzle. Just need some sort of magic replacement for what is now a solid block of plastic above the back rail.

I look forward to someone else doing all the actual work :-).

Some of the delta guys who were talking about that idea were toying around with using a accelerometer.  Basically they are trying to log the moment the hotend touches the bed and using it in tap mode to log the point it touches.  Will know once they get back if it works but it will be nice to not have the hotend able to move.

IanJohnson wrote:

Marlin now has the ability to take readings from a probe over the area of the bed and then adjust the Z axis on the fly to compensate for out of level or warped beds. ....

do we have a solidoodle firmware with this function ready to go ?

ysb wrote:
IanJohnson wrote:

Marlin now has the ability to take readings from a probe over the area of the bed and then adjust the Z axis on the fly to compensate for out of level or warped beds. ....

do we have a solidoodle firmware with this function ready to go ?

Well there certainly isn't an official version. We need to port the Solidoodle to the latest marlin. Maybe this is an excuse to do it.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

From a commercial point of vue.. it would be a good idea...

The $800 printer whose bed never needs to be leveled, a feature none of the other $1000+ assembled printers has.  It's worth doing the R&D.  If the code is there, it's a matter of mechanical implementation using the existing Z stop.  With the homing switch on the nozzle, no one would have to mess with the Z tab either.  Even better if the new probing extruder mounts into the existing X carriage in the same holes, making it an easy upgrade.

So who is going to add a Z probe first, Solidoodle or someone here?

How would you stop the probe interfering with the print? Retract after probing? Built into the head assembly itself?

Gomisan wrote:

How would you stop the probe interfering with the print? Retract after probing? Built into the head assembly itself?

A servo to swing the probe out of the way. Or a solenoid to raise and lower it.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Did you watch the video?

Make the head spring loaded, or able to tile.

hahah.. no I didn't. I have now. I read the thread and then forgot there was a video at the start. The built in idea looks pretty clever, but how would that impact on print accuracy having that much movement possible in the print head?

A micro servo to move a locking bar into position maybe smile

Time for me to shut up and watch the engineers and makers do what they do best.

As long as spring force is greater than the force on the print head during acceleration, you're golden. Since the print head never accelerates up or down on a SD2/3, you can design your hinge in such a way that there's no moment about the hinge during printing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8eqSQNAyro

The support for the servo is already in place. I'm sure a solenoid would be equally as easy.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

That's very impressive.

The trouble with that approach is that it doesn't take into account things like the hot end expanding/shifting. I like the idea of using the hotend as the probe, because you're measuring exactly what you want to know.

2n2r5 wrote:

The support for the servo is already in place. I'm sure a solenoid would be equally as easy.

So awesome!

elmoret wrote:

The trouble with that approach is that it doesn't take into account things like the hot end expanding/shifting. I like the idea of using the hotend as the probe, because you're measuring exactly what you want to know.

Thermal expansion can be calculated after the leveling process.
Plus you should know Tim you took thermal dynamics in college.

My concern would be the accuracy of the servo as the arm will not perfectly position the limit switch accurately every time.

Not without a proper encoder at least

Powder coated steel enclosure, 1/4" Surface grounded hardened aluminum plate, MK2A Heat bed, .200 Polished fused quartz plate, Machined quick change hot bed mount, E3D hot end, Ramps 1.4, DRV8825 stepper motor drivers

techbuilder2175 wrote:

You can try - but a hotend is not homogenous. You can model it decently with thermal coefficients, but you can't calculate it absolutely.

elmoret wrote:
techbuilder2175 wrote:

You can try - but a hotend is not homogenous. You can model it decently with thermal coefficients, but you can't calculate it absolutely.

True but it would slightly increase the accuracy of the leveling as opposed to not calculating the coefficient of thermal expansion.

I'm no expert compared to you,
I know you were working with hot ends for quite awhile while you were developing and improving the filastruder which I'm a proud owner of.

Powder coated steel enclosure, 1/4" Surface grounded hardened aluminum plate, MK2A Heat bed, .200 Polished fused quartz plate, Machined quick change hot bed mount, E3D hot end, Ramps 1.4, DRV8825 stepper motor drivers

Wow, you guys are taking it too far. Thermal expansion on the nozzle?

Servo problem is easy, the probe would have an hardstop on the down position. Servo is commanded farther than that but can only reach the (known) distance of the hardstop. Probe is at a reliable distance and retractable.

What I am curious about is how well this works once Marlin has the data about the z axis. Think about it, the Z axis would be going up and down constantly during the print....alot. Is this supposed to go on for every layer? For every move? Better build an anti-backlash Z rod setup for the stock machine while we are at it.

I have a better idea: Put 4 servo motors under the bed attached to leveling screws. Use the data to level the bed using the servos (I am thinking they would have to continuous rotation with rotary encoder).

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

22 (edited by TahoeTim 2013-10-11 12:02:43)

Sorry. but all you guys are doing is patching a defective part with other complicated parts. What's wrong with a piece of glass? I bought three wing nuts and double nut jammed them to longer leveling screws before I ever printed anything. My bed stays level imho because I'm not banging on it to remove my part or scraping it, swabbing it with various goo mixtures. etc. All that is done on the piece of glass away from the machine. Why would anyone do anything except gently lay a piece of glass on a bed that needs to be in tight tolerance?

Either use a piece of glass or machine a piece of thicker aluminum that is actually flat.

my two cents

oh and I also am named Tim and took thermodynamics on my way to my engineering degree wink

Hardware: SD3, Octoprint, Raspberry Pi
Software: Cura and ViaCad

I actually started updating the Solidoodle Firmware to the latest Marlin the other night, specifically because of Alex Borro's bed levelling.

And IanJohnson, think outside the square wink Using an E3D, you have an electrical connection from Tip to nozzle assuming it isn't carbonised to hell and back. I'm playing with using a small copper square from some copper tape, with the 3 squares earthed together and then run back to ground. Then I'm using the signal side to connected to the top housing of the extruder.

Voila - Contact switch using the extruder itself. Beats the hell out of calculating the offset like Alex describes wink

Anyway - will post up the updated 'solidoodle' firmware tomorrow - Just wanna finish playing with one thing first.

Hazer wrote:

Wow, you guys are taking it too far. Thermal expansion on the nozzle?

Servo problem is easy, the probe would have an hardstop on the down position. Servo is commanded farther than that but can only reach the (known) distance of the hardstop. Probe is at a reliable distance and retractable.

What I am curious about is how well this works once Marlin has the data about the z axis. Think about it, the Z axis would be going up and down constantly during the print....alot. Is this supposed to go on for every layer? For every move? Better build an anti-backlash Z rod setup for the stock machine while we are at it.

I have a better idea: Put 4 servo motors under the bed attached to leveling screws. Use the data to level the bed using the servos (I am thinking they would have to continuous rotation with rotary encoder).

Like that idea...In the video above, the system seems to be just logging the data; just wondering if the Delta style printer can make the necessary adjustments automatically since the z-level is controlled by each of the 3 arms...basically creating a custom level plane every time you print.

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

2n2r5 wrote:

Ideas for the kind of servos that might work for this?

We might order a servo and couple of solenoids to try it out.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.