Topic: Artist seeks help printing life size bust

Hello all,

I'm new to these forums. I'm hoping some of the makers and builders out there will be lend their expertise to help me with a project I'm working on. I'm going to provide some info below and hopefully someone out there will have some suggestions for me.

Project Intro
I'm an artist based in Miami working on a life size bust for an upcoming art exhibition. I'm creating a 3d model of a prominent member of the community based on a series of photographs.

Budget
I have a very limited budget for this project. A local owner of a MakerBot has offered to print the bust in small pieces and assemble them, but I would prefer to have it printed in one piece. The challenge seems to be the size, as it is much larger than most of the desktop printers out there.

What I'm seeking
I'm posting here to ask for suggestions of where I may find 2 things:

1) A printer with a build area of at least 17" x 9" x 10"

and

2) A company or independent owner that would be interested enough in contributing to this project to work withing my limited budget.

I've found several local owners that can do the printing in pieces within my budget, but I would really like to have something seamless that doesn't require gluing/sanding/painting. I'm also interested in the potential to use materials other than standard white PLA.

I am fine if the bust prints hollow to save in time and materials. The most important thing is the outer surface detail and its ability to support its own weight.

I would appreciate insight into any aspect of this process that might help me save on costs, from ideas for streamlining files to save on materials to potential contacts with large printers and a soft spot for artists.

What I can offer
I have enough money to cover material cost on a number of printers along with a fee on top of that, but it's not enough to have a commercial facility print the bust. I can offer my full budget along with a production credit to be included in the exhibition announcement. You would also have my enduring gratitude!

Exhibition Details and Timeline
The bust is going to be shown in a small art exhibition at a non-profit museum. It's going to be installed in an air-conditioned structure and will be visible 24hrs. I need to have the finished bust by November 10th. The modeling is underway and should be completed 10 days from now leaving about 1 month for printing.

Thanks! and Contact
Here's hoping someone has some ideas. Please feel free to forward my message to anyone you know that might want to collaborate. My email is:
[email protected]
Thanks for reading.

Re: Artist seeks help printing life size bust

See if you can find someone who owns a gigabot