Topic: 123D design running very slowly

Anyone else have problems with 123D running very slowly and laggy? any tips on how to resolve this (besides a newer faster computer).

I see from my task manager that it is much more resource intensive than SU or Creo but I really want it to work, it seems like the most simple easy to use solid 3D modeler and it is free! Suggestions and advice is very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Comp specs:

HP (wally world)
AMD Phenom II X2 511 Processor 3.40 GHz
RAM 5.00 GB (4.75 usable)
64-bit OS

2 (edited by Tomek 2013-09-16 03:12:18)

Re: 123D design running very slowly

I'm surprised you're having problems. I run Inventor (bigger autodesk program) on my laptop with 4gb ram, intel centrino2, and nothing impressive at all. I have lag problems with big assemblies and solidworks, but not with medium complexity parts in inventor.

Maybe someone has some reason for it running laggy for you.  Sometimes it's a bad .dll here or there that can cause problems on specific systems.

A lot of the pre-packaged stuff that comes with certain systems(dell, wmart,costco,etc...) has what I would call 'viruses' built in to their 'custom' programs... all these 'helper' apps do is take resources and intercept other app calls for resources and sometimes mangle them while making the system slower than a slug on a frozen lake in January.

Finally found the forum on 123D and it appears I am not the only person having issues with it running slow. Some guys are running very high end computers and have the exact same issue. Can't seem to find any fix for it which is terrible because it seems like some very good software.

Google how to increase swap file size for Windows X (your version). That may help. Also You can detune Windows so that it does not do all the fancy rendering, shadows, etc that it normally does, to get better performance. Some of the gamer sites have more on that, or likely somebody here smarter than I am.

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

Took your advice Heartlander and so far so good. Seems to be running nice and fast. I increased the swap file size and changed the performance options. Only downside is the computer looks like it is from the 90's smile

Thanks for the help!
Brandon

For anyone out there having problems with 123d Design running slowly - the 123dx files continue to grow the more mods you make to your design.basically it is accumulating instructions.  Solution

1 save a copy of the .123dx file and rename it as a .zip
2 when asked if you are sure the answer is YES
3 Within the zipped fie locate the .smt file and rename as a .sat
4 Import the .sat into 123D design
5 Save the file as newname.123dx
6 delete .zip file it has served its purpose
7 Compare the properties of the old and new .123dx files
8 observe the difference in size!!!
9 continue doing what you want to do

Hope all your problems are solved

8 (edited by jn 2017-10-09 22:59:18)

shaungb wrote:

For anyone out there having problems with 123d Design running slowly - the 123dx files continue to grow the more mods you make to your design.basically it is accumulating instructions.  Solution

Thank you so much. I have been painfully accepting the degrading in performance and even though this application has ceased, I can not invest time into learning a more complicate application like Fusion as yet as this fits my workflow so well.

I thought the file was accumulating a history of changes.

Again thank you because now I don't feel like I am working on an i386 but my Alienware wink

JN

does 123D have a purge command, to remove all the accumulated junk from a design file (like the autoCAD purge command).
design files save a step by step description of what you are doing, going back a step or deleting things does not remove anything from that process, it just adds a flag to ignore that step, so the file continually grows. at work I regularly have to clean up files in excess of 20Mb, and purgeing them can lose 15Mb from the file just like that.

jn wrote:
shaungb wrote:

Thank you so much. I have been painfully accepting the degrading in performance and even though this application has ceased, I can not invest time into learning a more complicate application like Fusion as yet as this fits my workflow so well.

I thought the file was accumulating a history of changes.

Again thank you because now I don't feel like I am working on an i386 but my Alienware wink

JN

BEST SOLUTION EVER !!

Thank you so much shaungb, your solution just save my life ! (yes I'm still using 123D ^^)

you made my day sir !

shaungb

For me the size was exactly the same but it increased dramatically the spead of processing the plan.

Thank you so much!!