Topic: Extract 3D object from 2D photo - easy 3D-modelling technique

Read this, and check out the youtube video:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1998 … ra+News%29

Re: Extract 3D object from 2D photo - easy 3D-modelling technique

IMHO that could be huge. Especially if they, probably, are adding the ability to add a dimension to each span, thus taking it into proper scale. As a practical matter, if you used it to input objects in a well-lit photo with white or black background, for example, it might obviate the need for a 3D scanner. God, Indiegogo will collapse!

Go guys, make it so!

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

I can see where it would be VERY useful....only objects though and not pictures of people im sure.

It seems to do most of its work by making assumptions based on the user input, so it's better for man made objects I would think.  I remember another project that did a similar thing for interior spaces, in what they called a "Manhattan World".  You can assume that doors, windows, walls, etc will be straight lines and right angles and fill in a lot of gaps from there.

I would be handy for getting distances and dimensions of things from a single photo.  If you can give it one reference distance, it could tell you a lot about the sizes of a lot of other things in the frame.

Aside from 3-d printing, these people are going to be very popular in Hollywood and the video game industry. I tend to suspect that a 3-d scanner will be cheaper than the 3-sweep software though :-).