Topic: damaged usb header

Today I goofed bad. filament got stuck (just some filament dust) but in the process of "fixing" it, I overreacted and yanked the case off the printer too quickly. It caught on the usb cable, and in the process, bent the usb header enough to short it.

Are the two side solders directly to the case of the header? Or should i just scrap it and upgrade the board? My soldering skills suck.

Re: damaged usb header

Cwalster wrote:

Today I goofed bad. filament got stuck (just some filament dust) but in the process of "fixing" it, I overreacted and yanked the case off the printer too quickly. It caught on the usb cable, and in the process, bent the usb header enough to short it.

Are the two side solders directly to the case of the header? Or should i just scrap it and upgrade the board? My soldering skills suck.

Show a picture and we shall help.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Mine is loose as hell.

goofygrin wrote:

Mine is loose as hell.

Did it come like that?

The rear solders look intact, its the ones on the sides that broke.

Post's attachments

2012-10-25_21-25-28_768.jpg 1.36 mb, 3 downloads since 2012-10-26 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Looks like you should be able to just solder it down.

I soldered the two sides down, but whenever it is plugged into the usb cable, the computer says the usb is surging. I'm assuming the case is acting as ground, but I don't see any other loose connections. It did this directly after the damage occurred as well, so some other point was damaged. Where should I be testing?

solidoodlesupport wrote:
goofygrin wrote:

Mine is loose as hell.

Did it come like that?

Remember I bought mine used so it was shipped twice.  The PO reported that it was loose too, and I know it's gotten looser since I've had it.  It's a) exposed and b) not really well attached physically.

9 (edited by Cwalster 2012-10-28 02:40:59)

Said screw it and got an azteeg x3 on its way. Was planning on upgrading it eventually anyways. That being said, it was not hard to solder it, even with my very limited soldering capabilities. You should be able to add some solder and beef up your joints. Mine just has some damage somewhere else and I don't have the ability to find it.

Cwalster wrote:

Said screw it and got an azteeg x3 on its way. Was planning on upgrading it eventually anyways. That being said, it was not hard to solder it, even with my very limited soldering capabilities. You should be able to add some solder and beef up your joints. Mine just has some damage somewhere else and I don't have the ability to find it.

Our boards aren't the easiest to troubleshoot from the outside. Fun fact: We are replacing the resonator component with quartz.