Topic: AutoDesk 123D Catch

Anyone try out Autodesk's cloud based 3d model generator?

Just takes some pictures, and turns them into a model!

I wish they would allow more than 40 photos though for a single model.

Pretty slick, http://www.123dapp.com/catch

Re: AutoDesk 123D Catch

You don't really need more than 40 photos anyway.

All of them will be uploaded to their server, converted to the model and then downloaded.
Can take a while if you got slow upload connection.

3 (edited by Kyle 2012-08-09 21:20:04)

123D catch works great

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo204/captainkeewl/IMG_3087.jpg

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo204/captainkeewl/ss1.jpg

That was done with about 70 pictures.

I wonder, would it work on helicopter parts for you? Guess you'd need to scale it to get the right dimensions.

A lot of the heli parts are reflective which is hell on 123D catch.

Careful measuring is the best way to make those parts.

I photographed a computer case quickly and built a 3D model using Catch on my iPad. It turned out pretty good with about 10 pictures and just taking some random shots. The case was shiny so it didn't like the reflection too well. You might be able to put something on the shiny surfaces to dull them temporarily. After reading the instructions, (something I ususally never do), Catch finds points in the images that are similar to recreate the object. If the surfaces are too similar, it will not know what to do. They suggest using a marker or something else to create points so that it has some reference marks. I would suggest "dot" stickers so they can be removed easily without damaging the surface. Just place the dots around the surfaces so it can create a reference.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

Even strips of blue painter's tape would work well for marking up surfaces to allow better processing of your photos.

8 (edited by Kyle 2012-08-11 07:55:04)

Brad wrote:

Even strips of blue painter's tape would work well for marking up surfaces to allow better processing of your photos.

Surprisingly no, I tried brown painters tape with symbols drawn on it for something to track.

The quality was not that great.

A background with plenty of texture helps if there isn't a lot of texture in the object itself.  I've had good luck spraying the object with textured spray paint, the kind that is meant to make a fake stone surface.  If it is something that is OK to ruin, then that's a good solution.  Another option is powdering it with something that can wash off, like flour or corn starch.

The most important thing with Catch is focus, even lighting and consistency.  Don't use your camera phone if you can help it.

I am going to start experimenting with it soon. My daughter is getting married next summer and I want to try to make a personalized cake topper of them for the cake.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

Now that would be cool. Remember to post pics smile

Gordym wrote:

I am going to start experimenting with it soon. My daughter is getting married next summer and I want to try to make a personalized cake topper of them for the cake.

Good luck! Can't wait to see how it turns out.