Topic: New Spool Guide for SD2

I finally had some time in front of the doodle yesterday and I thought I'd take the lazy way out of fixing the spool tangle issue that I'm having with this new filament.  Plus I wanted to try threads so I killed two birds with one stone.  In addition to removing tangle, you remove shaving from the 3/4" hole and from the top edge of the frame if you're printing sans case. 

It works well, but I will lengthen the male end a little and make a smaller diameter funnel on the female end.  The inside funnel as printed came dangerously close to the z screw, and the outside funnel diameter is a little larger than the clearance in the case when you want to have that mounted so I will make some adjustments and post the STLs once I've got the bugs out.  30 minute print each side with solid fill. 

1st attempt at threads and they went together but needed a little shaving here and there to get started, I will make seperate prints of the threads to debug them before printing the finals.

Post's attachments

Solidoodle Spool Guide.jpg
Solidoodle Spool Guide.jpg 230.42 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-10-22 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: New Spool Guide for SD2

I never got around to finishing it, but I had a similar idea that included a filament cleaner.  I also wasn't ambitious enough to try threads.  If you make the outside part wider, maybe it could hold a small roll of sponge to wipe dust off of the filament on the way in and help prevent clogs. 

Sometimes it seems like the filament spool accumulates static electricity, so it might be a little more prone to getting dusty than you would think.  Enough so that there are a dozen or so filament cleaners on Thingiverse.

I'll take a look, shoot me a link to a thingiverse version that you like the sponge on and I'll try to incorporate it.

Here is the most basic type - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16483

You could get a fine sponge, cut a circle out to fit the guide, and cut a slot in the side.  Then after putting the filament through the guide, you could slot the sponge onto it and slide it into the back of the guide.  The outside of the guide might need a slight lip to keep the sponge in so retractions don't push it back out.

I'll give it a look

cmetzel wrote:

I finally had some time in front of the doodle yesterday and I thought I'd take the lazy way out of fixing the spool tangle issue that I'm having with this new filament.  Plus I wanted to try threads so I killed two birds with one stone.  In addition to removing tangle, you remove shaving from the 3/4" hole and from the top edge of the frame if you're printing sans case. 

It works well, but I will lengthen the male end a little and make a smaller diameter funnel on the female end.  The inside funnel as printed came dangerously close to the z screw, and the outside funnel diameter is a little larger than the clearance in the case when you want to have that mounted so I will make some adjustments and post the STLs once I've got the bugs out.  30 minute print each side with solid fill. 

1st attempt at threads and they went together but needed a little shaving here and there to get started, I will make seperate prints of the threads to debug them before printing the finals.

These look wonderful! I would say that enough users feel that they can print with the case, that we haven't felt much need to develop these ourselves on a permanent basis. Do you think it helps a great deal?

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

solidoodlesupport wrote:

These look wonderful! I would say that enough users feel that they can print with the case, that we haven't felt much need to develop these ourselves on a permanent basis. Do you think it helps a great deal?

The main issue I was solving was to stop the filament from jumping over the edge and tangling.  I like some of the fixes other users have come up with and the new one you guys changed to, but for what I have I felt this would do just fine.  As I was sketching different ideas of how to mount it through the hole I thought I would give threads a try since some were asking, and added the inside funnel as well to eliminate any scraping dust getting into the extruder.  Hopefully I'll get some time this weekend to incorporate Ian's sponge design before I upload the STL's.

cmetzel wrote:
solidoodlesupport wrote:

The main issue I was solving was to stop the filament from jumping over the edge and tangling.  I like some of the fixes other users have come up with and the new one you guys changed to, but for what I have I felt this would do just fine.  As I was sketching different ideas of how to mount it through the hole I thought I would give threads a try since some were asking, and added the inside funnel as well to eliminate any scraping dust getting into the extruder.  Hopefully I'll get some time this weekend to incorporate Ian's sponge design before I upload the STL's.

Sounds awesome.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

cmetzel,

Did you ever finish this up? 

I have issues with black flakes resting on my natural filament from solidoodle.  They feed into my extruder and stand out on my prints. A filament bushing that could easily hold a sponge could be the perfect solution.

I never added the sponge holder, but I'll take a look at it this weekend.  If not this weekend I'm off from the 19th until January 2nd so I plan on stinkin up the joint with ABS fumes for the holidays. 

I'll finish it up and post it sometime soon.

I poke a hole through a chunk of 1/2" semi-rigid foam [in my case, it was some conductive foam that a few mosfets were shipped in]. My filament then runs through a filament arm, that has a hole only ~3mm wide. So the filament is always cleaned because it has to be pulled through the foam.

Test printing now, but I have a Christmas party to go to.  I'll let you know how it goes and post up the STLs if it works.  I wanted to make a little swinging door to load and unload the filament but I ran out of time.  Had to start the print before getting all the kids ready to leave.

Post's attachments

guide2.jpg
guide2.jpg 48.77 kb, 6 downloads since 2012-12-15 

guide2a.jpg 40.42 kb, 5 downloads since 2012-12-15 

Wher can the STL files be found? No reference or link here.

I'll post them tomorrow, test printed fine even though I cranked up the speed too fast.  Lip could be a little bigger for the anti retraction ledge.  I'll tweak and post them in the morning.

Okay here's the STL files.  I'm the kind of person that is never done tweaking but these should work.  I use skeinforge and pronterface still, .2 infill.  Mine were printed at 50mm/s feed rate which may be a little fast when you get to the threads.  If you don't want any issues slow it down a little and they should come out clean.

Post's attachments

inside2.STL 402.13 kb, 31 downloads since 2012-12-16 

Outside2.STL 498.32 kb, 34 downloads since 2012-12-16