Topic: Anyone have tips for printable hair in Blender?

I've been learning Blender and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for making human statues with hair?  I know one of the typical ways of making hair in blender is to use particles.  Can that be exported into an STL?

Re: Anyone have tips for printable hair in Blender?

Hi, I haven't used blender much.  My Weapon of choice is C4dXL.  IMHO, particles wouldn't work because in order to be integrated into the model it has to be turned into Polygons.  Transmapped hair wouldn't  work either because without the bump maps and textures you wouldn't have any shape to speak of and it wouldn't look like hair. You can model a skull-cap and use magnets, deformers & extrusion to model a hair-piece to get the look you want.

To model the best looking polygon hair, I recommend a sculpture program like ZBrush of the free Skulptris.

David

take a look at daz 3d and hexagon2

Just a quickie to show you what you can do in the free Skulptris

With blender particles you should be able to, and probably would need to, 'bake' the particles. This will take the procedural content and make it actual geometry. Take this with about 5 years worth of not-having-used-modelers salt, though, as I stopped playing with 3d modelers about that long ago.

My printer should be shipping soon, judging by the shipping posts. Kinda' gotta' get my self back up to speed :grin: