Topic: Fatal Python error

New install on Win 7 machine.
Installed python-2.7.3
Installed pyserial-2.5.win32
Installed Solidoodle-v4.2

Pronterface opens stl file, Skeinforge does it's thing, translate them into g-code, saves it, python.exe starts to open then crashes with this error:

Fatal Python error: PyEval_RestoreThread: NULL tstate

What is causing this error?

Re: Fatal Python error

had the same issue and then switched over to Repetier host...

been printing since last night

Thanks for the reply.
Beginning to think I was the only one to have the problem.
I found that if I followed the print procedure from Solidoodle Tips, Software Walk Through, Posted on July 26, 2012 by Ian Johnson, I was able to get a part oriented, sliced, into Pronterface, and Python to work without errors. Software seems ready, just need the printer which is to be delivered today, 23/10/2012. Ordered it 30/5/2012, ID #1724. Hopefully it gets here in one piece and is ready to go.

KD wrote:

New install on Win 7 machine.
Installed python-2.7.3
Installed pyserial-2.5.win32
Installed Solidoodle-v4.2

Pronterface opens stl file, Skeinforge does it's thing, translate them into g-code, saves it, python.exe starts to open then crashes with this error:

Fatal Python error: PyEval_RestoreThread: NULL tstate

What is causing this error?

Are you opening the STL directly from pronterface? This sometimes crashes the program.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

I was.
Now use Replicator G to position model on the bed, Skeinforge to slice and generate G-code, Pronterface to print. A couple extra steps but works just fine. Received my printer today, set it up and started printing. No problems so far.

KD wrote:

I was.
Now use Replicator G to position model on the bed, Skeinforge to slice and generate G-code, Pronterface to print. A couple extra steps but works just fine. Received my printer today, set it up and started printing. No problems so far.

Glad to hear it. There is an error when loading .STLs for slicing directly in to the front of pronterface. It often crashes.

I have the same problem. After my gcode loads complete, python launches, renders the image, but crashes python.

Any fixes?

Find the skeinforge.py file and make a shortcut to it.  Use that to launch Skeinforge rather than pronterface.  If you close the GUI window, it's fine.  If you close the console window, it gives you the crash, which is nothing more than an annoyance.  Apparently pronterface closes the console window.

IanJohnson wrote:

Find the skeinforge.py file and make a shortcut to it.  Use that to launch Skeinforge rather than pronterface.  If you close the GUI window, it's fine.  If you close the console window, it gives you the crash, which is nothing more than an annoyance.  Apparently pronterface closes the console window.

This isn't a problem as long as you slice through the slicing setting dialog.