Topic: Google Sketchup

OK so lets say I have a model in Google sketch up that I want to print but that its to big to fit on the solidoodle 6x6 platform. I don't want to shrink it in size. Is there a way to "cut" the drawing in half or maybe ever in to 3 pieces and print it one piece at a time? In sketch up? It is either not possible or I don't know the correct terminology. Because I have been searching every where and cant find anything on this topic.

Re: Google Sketchup

It depends what you have used to make the model. if the model is made of "components", you may just want to print each component.

If its one big single object, use a rectangle with the "intersect with model" command, and move the pieces apart and save them individually.

I'm not that familiar with sketchup, this is just something I have found on the web.

The simple answer is: No. You have to slice it yourself.
You can do a much better job than a program that try to slice it automatically. You can slice it better because you know what that part is for and if the slice make sense.

wq7278 wrote:

The simple answer is: No. You have to slice it yourself.
You can do a much better job than a program that try to slice it automatically. You can slice it better because you know what that part is for and if the slice make sense.

This is my assessment as well. What would be even better, is to design the object with the joint in mind.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Definately model with the bed size and any joins in mind.

Jonathan,
  Let me know if you discover any solutions.  I personally need to cross section things in half so that I can then create a 2 part mold for metal casting.

freeflysage wrote:

Jonathan,
  Let me know if you discover any solutions.  I personally need to cross section things in half so that I can then create a 2 part mold for metal casting.

Hi Freeflysage. If I do figure it out Ill be sure and let you know. But I'm thinking that casting metal into a plastic mold might not work. Wont the temperature of the molten metal bet so hot that it would melt the plastic? I know nothing about metal work but I have a friend that does it and he uses either silicon rubber or oil sand to make his molds. What metal are you trying to cast with?

The method Brad suggested is how I do it. Make two copies of the object and measure to the half way point on each. Make a box, larger than your part, and align it to the half way measurement point. Half of your model should be inside the box at this point.

Select all of that, right click and choose Intersect Faces (with model.) Then select and delete the boxed half. Repeat on the opposite side of the copy you made earlier. Make sure to save before starting this process as SU is finicky. Also, if the part is the same on both sides, then you can just do the one half and flip it. Now you can add pegs & holes, dove tails, clips, etc to join the two halves after printing. Sometimes SU is weird and deletes some of the faces where you split it in half and you will need to redraw the perimeter of the face.

To make a negative for casting in foam or silicone (which you can use for metal casting,) it is almost the same process. This time just make a box larger than the part (I usually go with half or quarter inch margins,) measure the half way point on the part and align this point to the face of the box you made. Again, the part should be 50/50 in the box and out of it. Select all of this and Intersect the faces. Now you can delete everything above the face of the box and the top faces on the box. You should be left with a box and the negative half of your part. Repeat this process for the other half or flip/mirror if appropriate. Once you have both halves then you can add keys to the boxes so they line up properly, just like regular mould making.

Hope this helps!

Here is a picture to help illustrate. This is a mould for a cube assembly, complete with sprue and vents. The mould boxes are designed to clip together for casting multiples. This is just an example I made very quickly and is not complete (and has way too much venting.)

Post's attachments

CubeAssemblyMould.jpg
CubeAssemblyMould.jpg 139.72 kb, 4 downloads since 2012-10-01 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Hi,

I converted a model from sketchup to stl, but when I import it in pronterface I get some fields that are not filled, even though these specific areas are solid in sketchup.. Any idea on how to fill the parts of the model?

-T

There is a great trick to getting a model 'manifold' in any CAD software. This means that it is a completely clean solid with no intersecting faces, stray line, holes etc. I use a plugin called SuSolid:

http://www.susolid.com/

It costs money but it's so much better than other plugins aiming to achieve the same thing.

Susolid is nice. Have used it for a couple of models. I`m having some trouble with hollow areas in my models. The models become hollow where one part of the model is sunk into another part. It it possible to "fuse" them together?

Sketchup pro has native support for what is called 'boolean' operations.

Next step is a paid plugin called booltools http://www.smustard.com/script/BoolTools which I'm currently using. It's ok but stuffs up if interacting complicated and curved solids.

Other than that there are free plugins:

http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14773

lawsy wrote:

Sketchup pro has native support for what is called 'boolean' operations.

Next step is a paid plugin called booltools http://www.smustard.com/script/BoolTools which I'm currently using. It's ok but stuffs up if interacting complicated and curved solids.

Other than that there are free plugins:

http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14773

I'm surprised that these features aren't standard in sketchup.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.