1 (edited by SupplyGuy 2013-07-28 20:44:22)

Topic: New Brand and Supply Company

Hope all is well.

We obviously think 3D printing is a big deal or else we wouldn't jump into the game.  We have been working on a number of things but are finally ready for the first two launches.

August 6th we will begin the journey to assembling the top online filament store available.  Our focus is North America only with traditional distribution of Taulman filament being part of our foundation.

Which leads to our second introduction (two for one!!) and that is of our own trademark filament, Honeycomb Filaments.

Both brands will be available, for individual orders, online August 6th at 3d-filaments.com or 3dfilaments.us.

Bulk orders, questions and interest can come straight to me:  [email protected]

Kind Regards,
Dave Tate
VP Sales/Marketing
3dfilaments.us
3d-filaments.com

Re: New Brand and Supply Company

Dave
Where is the company located.
The website does not show a location.

Ultimaker S3.

We are located in Roanoke, Virginia.

Wow! Look's great! I know where I'll be buying my filament if this pans out.

Supply Guy, you are not too far from me so I obviously have an interest in what you will be carrying. I will hopefully have my own Filastruder in a couple weeks and will need a good supply of Master batch and pellets. I can get them now through OSprinting but If I could save a few bucks on shipping then all the better. Also, are you planning on supplying parts? E3D needs a distributor in NA. They have all metal hotends that are becoming an instant favorite and a must for extruding exotic plastics such as Polycarbonate.

I know they aren't in your original scope but I think it would be great if you looked into being a supplier for these things.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

What makes it "premium"? I saw this:

Filament diameter: +/- 0.10mm.

Do you have any comments on this variation relative to other filament suppliers' products? Have you done any testing of Makerbot/Utilimachine/etc filament?

I'm interested, ... we needed a filament retailer aimed at the large public in the US.

Yeah, if you stocked all of that stuff I'd certainly buy it. I'm looking to get an E3D soon. 

Also, the pellets, because when I figure out HOW to get a filastruder I'd love to get one. It seems I missed the kickstarter so I guess I have to wait till they are sold normally.

9 (edited by adrian 2013-07-29 08:55:28)

extruder wrote:

I'm interested, ... we needed a filament retailer aimed at the large public in the US.

You mean like http://www.octave.com/3D-Printer-Filame … index.html available through Amazon ?? What exactly is the 'gap' that you feel exists in your current large selection of CONUS filament suppliers ? Taulman 645 and 618 is already a US manufactured filament, sold via Taulman-3D (again in the US)... http://www.taulman3d.com/buy-645-175mm.htm

Don't mind me... I'm just curious as to what the value-add position here is in general ?

Good Monday!

A lot of questions!  Understandable so I will do my best.

What makes it "premium"?  Obviously "premium" is a subjective word.  In this case we feel the "premium" comes in with the quality of material used in the filament.  We don't necessarily feel "size matters" and are happy with the current product.  Please bear in mind, as clear through the pricing vs. Taulman, that our current Honeycomb series (yet to be named) is NOT the same material-wise or quality-wise as Taulman.  We do, however, expect to offer various grades of product for the various needs of various users.

What market do we fill?  GREAT question.  This is a small upstart that is currently focused on the average consumer.  We are more interested in filling 1,000 1kg orders than 100 10kg orders.  As we grow, our product line will grow as we seek out different approaches and different needs.  We want to offer an easily navigable site for the consumer that isn't the extreme 3-D "head" that some of you may be.  This format will include a blog, video and other interactive ideas that we hope will make 3D printing a "cool" thing as this hits the mainstream population.

Has product been tested?  It has.  We have tested on makerbot, up and several Reprap.

Will we carry parts?  No.  This is STRICTLY a filament supply company.

Hope I got them all!!  Thanks for the interest!

Kind Regards,

Dave
3dfilaments.us
3d-filaments.com

PS - I will not engage in debate here but will do my best to answer all questions based on our vision.

SupplyGuy wrote:

In this case we feel the "premium" comes in with the quality of material used in the filament.

What resin(s) are you using?

At the moment the average consumer market is very small, it's still mostly gearheads at this point.  Also whatever portion of that market the Cube manages to get (selling in Staples) will be unavailable to you.  Those who are buying filament at this point expect .05-.03mm tolerance, and will view .1mm as low quality so you will need to educate them as to why that is not the case.

If you want to fill a gap, try offering a wide selection of interesting colors by the meter like Faberdashery.  I would love to buy Faberdashery filament, but it is PLA and extremely expensive to buy and to ship.  If you offered a service like that at an affordable price in the US, it would make it easier to collect a variety of colors without buying 1kg of something you will use once.

13 (edited by SupplyGuy 2013-07-29 16:21:59)

Thanks, Ian!  What a relief... a forum that offers constructive advice and criticism!!!  Yes, we realize the consumer market is small now... as are we.  The hope is to grow with this market and you offered an idea that I think is a very good one.

I am also looking for people that may want to write some blog posts aimed at the average user?  Nothing huge... small contributions work well as we all know the world's attention span is shrinking by the day!

Thanks again for the interest!

Dave

A good place to start would probably be the different kinds of filaments, the pros and cons of each, and printing tips on the different kinds.

What about something like a starter pack. Small spools (1kg or less) of different colors bundled together, so that people can get a varity of colors without spending a lot of money getting them.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

wire10ga wrote:

What about something like a starter pack. Small spools (1kg or less) of different colors bundled together, so that people can get a varity of colors without spending a lot of money getting them.

+1 I would be up for buying a sample pack. I wouldn't even mind a .5 or .25 kg sample size for each color.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

I would love .25kg packs of multiple colors. There are only a few out there and none from reputable sellers. Sometimes I just need small amounts of a lot of different colors for projects.

This small quantity idea is something we will pursue.  We are currently looking at packaging materials for such a move.  Many thanks.  Also... be aware that the site is under construction and is no way set in prices, size, description, caliber, etc...  August 6th is launch date so check back then.

Thanks for the great responses.

On your webs site you have Honeycomb filaments listed at 29.95 for 1 lbs. Why so much, For 2.00 more i can get double the amount through amazon. I see the site has not launched yet, is this a typo or are you saying that your filament is that much better that it is double the price?

SupplyGuy wrote:

Also... be aware that the site is under construction and is no way set in prices, size, description, caliber, etc...  August 6th is launch date so check back then.

Thanks for the great responses.

elmoret wrote:
SupplyGuy wrote:

In this case we feel the "premium" comes in with the quality of material used in the filament.

What resin(s) are you using?

Thanks for the update.  Seeing as how you are in the southeastern part of the USA, and I would rather support local economies, I am really interested in what you will have to offer!

If you are looking for an exclusive niche, I suggest offering smaller quantities of unique colors not widely available elsewhere.  I'm thinking about natural shades like browns roughly matching finished woods (maple, cherry, mahogany, etc), ruby reds, forest-, teal- and olive-greens, silvers and golds, clears.  You could even specify the closest pantone shade to each filament so buyers would know what they were getting.  If you're going to compete with the same bright play-doh colors that everyone else is offering, then I think you're going to have a hard time.  But if I could buy 4 1/2-lb spools of unique colors for roughly the same price as others are selling, then I'd be right there!

Dave, for those of us who feel guilty printing with non-recycleable, non-compostable (currently) PLA, do you have plans for producing post-consumer PET or HDPE filament? I would love to find a supplier that offers those products.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
SD2 with Sanguinololu board, glass bed mod, E3d_v5 bowden version hotend (currently direct drive), Lawsy Mk5 jigsaw replacement, octopi printserver, drv8825(tiny troubles)

Eco friendly and custom colors are all ideas we are hoping to move toward.  I'm learning a lot from you guys that I pass down; been real helpful.  Question:  One of my "eco" friends asked me about recycling this stuff. Any ideas how that could work?  Would it be possible?  Obviously it is something that can't be done for free but I was wondering how practical such an idea would be?  Perhaps just offering a resource is enough?  Can you take a bunch of different white filaments, melt them down and reuse them as a "recycled white" color for example?