Topic: Mendelmax 2 review, MUST READ!!!

i made a huge mistake purchasing the mendelmax 2,
i got carried away with the aesthetics and disregarded some fundamental design issues the printer has .
basically i didn't want to buy a printer that looked like a microwave, who could blame me.
first of all i will start with saying that i bought this product with the intention of printing solely ABS.
furthermore my experience with the company has been the most frustrating thing i have ever experienced,i
am putting this out there so no one has to endure the headaches that i have had and continue to have.

issue no. 1
according to their specifications the heated bed should be at 110 degrees Celsius so that the abs adheres to the bed.
the bed cant reach it and was topping out at 106. doesn't matter what you do, so i spent hours frustrated trying to
get a print started, everything was delaminating.
as i am neewbie to 3d printing i did a quick google search, and found that a little acetone mixed with abs would help.
problem solved, sort of. the bed still doesn't go beyond 106.

i addressed the issue with staff, they told me to cover the bottom of the printer with aluminum foil. now it doesn't
take a genius to realise that hot air rises and thats not going to increase the performance, not to mention how idiotic
i would feel about having something that i blew 2k on wrapped in aluminum foil. so it was put back on me, there was no "sorry sir, might be
a faulty heating unit we'll send you one straight away be patient." no i was treated like an idiot, "wrap some foil round it. "

i was impatient to start a print so i did it anyway with no success (what a shock).

issue no. 2
after playing around with the printer attempting to get some good results i started to hear a crackling sound similar
to plastic tape, i stopped the printer looked under the bed, Wow the heating element is completely delaminating from the
aluminum plate is affixed to.

so again i make contact and the response is, "hey go down to autobarn buy some gasket silicone and there Bobs your uncle, problem fixed."
"and i'll give you a ten dollar check to cover the costs." wtf!!!! not only is the heating element starting to burn out due to lack of adhesion.
it's going to take me my time and effort to rectify the problem with your printer. dude i'm not your guinea pig for you
to experiment your product on.  in my head im thinking "i am a customer, i bought your piece of crap, rectify it yourself, send me a new one."

issue no. 3
i moved on to printing something larger, they provide a CAD drawing for an LCD box so that you can operate the printer without a computer.
i'm halfway through printing, it is about 3hrs into the print and the bed skips. the weight of the glass bed(570g) plus the weight of the part about 100g lead to
the stepper motor skipping, too much inertia for the little thing.

so once again i send them a msg, which are becoming increasingly aggressive due to the built up frustration. what is the reply?
just reduce the printing acceleration. so hold on, your selling me a product on certain speed performance now i'm meant
lessen it to something completely uninspiring??

anyway just to get it going again, i did just that. but after some thought i am really starting to question the design of the printer.
if you have a glass bed weighing 570g, an aluminum underlay around 100g, then a supporting Y plate and sliders adds an easy 400g.
you are talking 1.1kg of bed being thrust back and forth by a 5mm elastic belt. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that something
has got to give. thats the weight without the actual model that your printing, i was planning to print to the extremities of the printer,
if my model adds another 500g to the equation, the motor and elastic belt are completely under engineered, you'll significantly have
to compromise the acceleration. it's a stupid design to begin with. you have a constant variable: which is the size and weight of the
print. this print is being thrust back and forth on an axis. this isn't controlling variables to the best of ones ability. it's a joke by any designers or
engineers standards.

issue no. 4
this is the one that put the nail in the coffin.i am still trying to print the lcd holder, every so often the model splits.
mainly due to the temperature difference in my room and the temperature above the bed. abs seems to shrink dramatically.

once again i tell them my problem, i am advised to enclose the printer, the guy on the phone say's "i have my printer in a cardboard box,
it's 90 degrees C in there."

so  i got my printer and put it in the cupboard (2m squared with some ventilation). i got an electric thermometer so i could read the
temp without having to open the cupboard and compromise the print with cold air. i fire the printer up again, all is good. temperature
is about 37 c constant. 3 hours later i decide to have a sneak peek at the part. F&*^Ck!!! The printer extruder is melted. the printer
has been cutting laps for 2 hours with no filament going in or out. At this point i am fuming, i have had enough of the mediocre advice
from the clowns at Makers tool works. basically i call them a buch of morons, i demand parts to fix it, which include: a new heater, a new
all metal extruder to handle the heat associated, and i also want some reimbursement for being F^&*cked around .

they ignore me, nothing , no "sorry sir, we apologize, we'll do anything to make you happy." I GOT SWEET ____.

i have now escalated this to a paypal claim. they have sent me an email denying me any further support.
Yeah that's the word's they used. if it wasn't for there support i would still have a printer to print with.
they can go to hell, they are  trying to cover their ass for the paypal claim that is coming their way.

also i beg to wonder what would have happend to their printer if i put it in a box like the clown on the
phone told me. what then? would all the wiring melt down, one thing for certain all the PLA parts that
it's made of would be shot!

what i have learnt in my short time 3d printing is: 1. all high end professional printers are enclosed,
there is a reason for it, controlling the variables, every hour there are temperature changes. eliminate them
especially when printing with ABS. if an open printer claims that it can print abs i'd love to see it. and when i say  print
i mean i want to see a large part with significant wall thickness.

2. do not buy a printer with a bed that travels horizontally, your printing speed is going to be significantly handicapped
as a result of physics. printers that have a bed that only moves vertically and the other two axis are covered by
the head are significantly superior. think about it, the head never gains or looses weight, it's constant, MUCH BETTER.
and much lighter than 1.1kg of bed ,heater, support and sliders not to mention the printed object.

3. Get an all metal head and extruder, it makes sense, you've got 130 degrees or more generated by the head
110 degrees over the bed, add slight enclosure, it not a place for plastics especially not thermoplastics
like the PLA that the Mendelmax 2 is made of.

now that i have done my apprenticeship in 3d printing the wrong way, can someone please suggest
a good product for ABS in 2k-3k price bracket. Also this is a short hand account of what happened
there were other stupid things thrown at me that are just insulting to the brain.

Re: Mendelmax 2 review, MUST READ!!!

I can't speak to the claims of specific vendors, but home 3D printing as a whole is an emerging technology and will require some work to get where you want it. I would expect a true plug & play printer to cost much more than 2-3K. You may want to begin by looking at a StrataSys.

E3D-v4 Hotend, MK5 carriage with round plastic wire conduit , 3/16" tempered glass,  Well nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, PowerEdge 2650 500W PS, QU-BD heated bed, circuit board fan, hinged plexiglass enclosure with plastic tray top. Other than that mostly stock SD3

It's hard to say (being a person who does both phone support and field repairs) how a customer will react to certain problems. If it's something simple like "oh, this little non-essential part came loose" then they will usually be okay if they're told to just reattach it. But that applies to problems that are small and generally not critical to the functioning of the machine. Personally, I'd be pretty miffed if they wouldn't do an RMA on a part that just kinda fell apart on me.

That said, did he really say that the inside of his cardboard box was 90C? that's 194F. That's pretty insane for an ambient air temperature unless you're casting bronzes or something.

SD3 w/ RUMBA (8825s), merlin hot end (in pieces). Ender3 w/ silent board for PLA printing. Ender5 w/ silent board, e3d v6, new z lead screw, and glass bed. DiY Kossel w/ smoothieboard (in pieces). Vellman Vertex (in pieces)
Shapeoko2 router in process of being converted to laser engraver (in pieces)
Multicam 5000 series CNC Router w/ 11HP spindle, 5x10' table, and auto tool changer (in pieces)

I run a space heater into my enclosure, and it tops out at 50C.  I think the Stratasys printers run 70.   90 is over the top to be sure.  Also most people making printed extruders go for ABS since the melt point of PLA is so much lower. 

You won't find any enclosed printers due to patents, so it's best to look for box shaped printers that are easily enclosed.  There aren't many choices, in addition to Solidoodle there is Makerbot 2X and Qu-BD revolution.   BotObjects is enclosed, but is very much an unknown at this point.  Ultimaker is good, but you have to add a heated bed yourself.   You might also look at delta printers.  It shouldn't be too hard to stick some acrylic on their frames.

Please don't get a solidoodle. I think Makerbot is the way to go for you.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

We cannot respond to any specifics of this case, however we want to state clearly and for the record that we are happy to replace any defective products. In some cases, a replacement may not be the most practical solution, so when there are simpler solutions we may propose them as an alternative. We will always offer a replacement of a defective item if the customer requests according to our published policies.

We will be happy to respond to the specific complaints that our customer has raised once the dispute is resolved.  If anyone has specific questions about our support policies or the technical issues that have been raised, they are welcome to email [email protected].

The poster here has filed a PayPal claim, entering arbitration for a partial refund, and as a result of PayPal rules we were instructed to cease non-PayPal communication. Below is our last response to the PayPal claim:

Hi [customer],

We are sorry that you have been unable to get your printer working. We have over 300 other MendelMax 2 kits in the field at this point, the vast majority of which are printing without difficulty. The printer is a well engineered, quality product, and we fully stand behind what we sell. We are happy to provide replacements for any parts that are defective, and we agree that the bed heater is defective due to poor adhesion  We apologize for that, unfortunately that was a defective product we received from a supplier. We do our best to maintain high quality control, but a previously reliable supplier changed adhesive without advising us, so unfortunately we had no way to know about the problem until after we had shipped several of the heaters out. We will also provide you with the replacement hot end retainer, though contrary to your claim we did not tell you to enclose the printer, merely to shield it from drafts.

Unfortunately, we cannot accept responsibility for user error or guarantee that our customers have the necessary technical skills to build and operate the printer. Like many other products, 3D printers require certain technical skills, especially one that is sold as a kit. We do our best to be honest about the skills needed-- certainly we are more upfront about it than almost any other company in the industry-- but we have no way to actually confirm that our customers have those skills. We're happy to consult with potential customers, but you never contacted us prior to purchasing to confirm whether the printer was suitable for you. Our first contact with you was after you had purchased the printer. We try to give an honest assessment of the issues people will face when people have questions, but we cannot do that if you do not ask any questions prior to purchase.

3D Printing is hard. I truly believe that our printer makes it as easy as possible, however it is still challenging. Read the mailing lists for ANY 3D printer company and you will see people having the exact same issues you are having. It takes time and patience to get good prints, but if you put in the effort, you will be rewarded.

In spite of your hostility, we are acting on some of the issues you have raised. Only one out of 300 people have failed to set the proper PSU voltage, but we are adding a sticker to the PSU box to help prevent future blown fuses. We are launching a forum to make it easier for people to ask questions and share tips and tricks. This had been in our long term plans all along, but at your prodding we have moved it up in our priority list. And of course, if you have any constructive feedback on our docs, we will absolutely roll them into future versions. We do respond to customer feedback, and we do so more quickly than just about any company you are likely to come across. But the reality is some people cannot be pleased, and it seems like from the very beginning you had decided that we were to blame for any and all problems you had, and that has colored your opinion every step of the way from then on. At this point, I do not believe you will be satisfied by anything we do.

I am a firm believer in free speech. You have certainly have a right to voice your opinion. Unfortunately, you do NOT have a right to blackmail us, and we will not tolerate that. Comments like "how many customers are you happy to loose, 1 ,2, 10 , 100 balls in your court" seem to betray your true objective. You may have thought that would cause us to waiver, but the reality is your stance makes us stand our ground even more strongly. We firmly feel that we have provided you with the highest quality product and support possible, and we honestly believe our satisfied customers and customer service record (including our lengthy support discussions with you) back us up on that.

The ball is now in yours and PayPal's court since you initiated the claim. We cannot proceed with any additional support until the claim is settled by PayPal or by yourself.

This correspondence will be added to the requested files from Paypal, as well as your public threats on our Facebook page.  Please use the PayPal channels for all future correspondence, as PayPal's dispute system dictates.

Thank you,
Jeff Davis
CEO, Maker's Tool Works

Like I said, makerbot.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

i like the makerbot 2x, there is also a leapfrog. but for the largest prints, it's a little more expensive
PROFI3DMAKER 400 x 260 x 190 mm (19.7 litres0. it seems like every week there is a new printer poping up,
to wait a while or not to wait?

Makerbot isn't all peaches and cream either.  Read the google group for awhile before you decide.  The Replicator has just as many "must do" mods as the Solidoodle, and some of the same kinds of complaints about support.  Any printer is likely to have its issues, so it may be best to narrow your search the ones that have been around long enough to have user communities that can provide support and have already come up with solutions to the problems you may encounter.  That would be a reason to go with Makerbot, but Ultimaker deserves a close look as well.

10 (edited by Charles_Xavier 2013-07-26 21:22:00)

shoptiludrop09 wrote:

i addressed the issue with staff, they told me to cover the bottom of the printer with aluminum foil. now it doesn't take a genius to realise that hot air rises and thats not going to increase the performance

The reason to put aluminum foil is to reflect radiating heat:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiant_barrier

By putting aluminum foil below the heated plate, you minimize heat loss from radiation in that direction.

shoptiludrop09 wrote:

it's going to take me my time and effort to rectify the problem with your printer. dude i'm not your guinea pig for you to experiment your product on.

At this point, it's your printer. You bought a product without a warranty, at which point you assumed some level of liability. Even if absolutely nothing you did was your fault, you still assumed the risks by making the purchase in the first place. Having said that, this case and others like it are the reason Maker's Tool Works Refund Policy allows returns at all. But the policy stipulates same-condition status, which you void by troubleshooting yourself. When you first started experiencing troubles, when you decided to soldier forward instead of return the product, you again assumed personal (if not legal) liability for your actions.

shoptiludrop09 wrote:

but after some thought i am really starting to question the design of the printer. if you have a glass bed weighing 570g, an aluminum underlay around 100g, then a supporting Y plate and sliders adds an easy 400g. you are talking 1.1kg of bed being thrust back and forth by a 5mm elastic belt. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that something has got to give.

This sounds like a failure to do research. It's not anyone's fault but your own that you bought a printer with a moving print bed. People talk day in and day out about the various reasons it's preferable to having a moving extruder over a moving bed.

shoptiludrop09 wrote:

once again i tell them my problem, i am advised to enclose the printer, the guy on the phone say's "i have my printer in a cardboard box, it's 90 degrees C in there."

I don't doubt that he told you to put it in a box, people with Solidoodles do that too. And several other "microwave" printers. That prevents convection heat loss. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convective_heat_transfer
I do doubt that he told you it's 90C in his box. Not even a double-corrugated box without leaking is going to trap heat that efficiently. This part sounds like bullshit.

shoptiludrop09 wrote:

3 hours later i decide to have a sneak peek at the part. F&*^Ck!!! The printer extruder is melted.

This part also sounds like bullshit. What about the extruder was "melted"? Where are the pictures? How do you know this was caused by being in a (according to you) 37C box, and not because you set the extruder to too high of a temperature? Why are you even posting this on the Solidoodle forum, now that I think about it? This part of your claim is so dubious that I wish there was a stronger word to describe just how doubtful this is.

Wait, I just thought of something! Was the "cupboard" you put your printer in big and metal and sitting in your kitchen? Yeah, that's an oven. You shouldn't put your printer in an oven.

shoptiludrop09 wrote:

a new all metal extruder to handle the heat associated, and i also want some reimbursement for being F^&*cked around .

Not sure why you think trying to troubleshoot your own problem and failing entitles you to anything (see point above about warranty), let alone something you never had in the first place. There's no reason for them to send an all-metal hot end just because you did something improper that (allegedly) destroyed yours. And last I checked, responding to your e-mails and questions  and making suggestions doesn't seem like being F^&*cked around with to me. It kind of is how all support for any desktop 3D printer works right now. If you didn't like their advice, instead of following it, you should have boxed up your unaltered printer and shipped it back for a refund or exchange. It was your own impatience that has been your undoing here.

shoptiludrop09 wrote:

Also this is a short hand account of what happened there were other stupid things thrown at me that are just insulting to the brain.

Anyway, thought about replying to more of your nonsensical fallacious post, but there were other stupid things thrown in it that are just insulting to the brain. I'm sure some research or forward thinking might have saved you from some of this trouble, but you seem to be one of those entitled "I'm the customer and I'm always right!" people.

Bottom line: You seem to be in the wrong. I wish Maker's Tool Works all the luck in your current dispute.

Edit: For good measure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

for someone who has no invested interest thats one hell of an email, Hi Jeff. here as some photos, i'm glad you mentioned it because it started a great chain of thought, whats even better than a photo? a video, i'll be putting together a Youtube video so you get the full experience of : Bed skipping, heated bed not warming up, alluminium foil not working, and for the hell of it i'll put it in a cardboard box so you can watch the PLA bearing guides turn to muck along with any other damage it will do. your reply is absurdly entertaining, to justify a cardboard box and alluminium foil as rational design solutions. i don't even have words for it. bellow you will find pictures of:
melted extruder
burnt out and delaminated bed heater
abs parts that have fallen victim to bed skipping and splitting, i was quite happy with the consistent layer reproduction.
a photo of my video camera and 3d printer wrrapped in foil, i checked the canon 5d manual but i couldn't section where they
advocate foil use, in fact apart from inside my oven i don't find much use for it in product design or engineering, but hey not a moron.

Post's attachments

untitled (1 of 15).JPG
untitled (1 of 15).JPG 831.48 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

untitled (10 of 15).JPG
untitled (10 of 15).JPG 801.15 kb, 1 downloads since 2013-07-27 

untitled (11 of 15).JPG
untitled (11 of 15).JPG 789.1 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

untitled (12 of 15).JPG
untitled (12 of 15).JPG 896.02 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

untitled (3 of 15).JPG
untitled (3 of 15).JPG 906.4 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

more pics...

Post's attachments

untitled (15 of 15).JPG 856.52 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

untitled (4 of 15).JPG
untitled (4 of 15).JPG 944.27 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

untitled (5 of 15).JPG
untitled (5 of 15).JPG 892.16 kb, 1 downloads since 2013-07-27 

untitled (6 of 15).JPG
untitled (6 of 15).JPG 886.97 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

untitled (8 of 15).JPG
untitled (8 of 15).JPG 876.3 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

13 (edited by nlancaster 2013-07-27 07:19:21)

All I can say dude is welcome to the wonderful world of 3d printing.

And you totally did not understand the aluminum foil suggestion. The aluminum foil is there to keep the heat in the heatbed. It would tend to reflect heat lost out the bottom of the bed heater, back up into the bed heater.  This would probably help your bed get to 110c.  That being said I rarely have problems warping from the heatbed at 70c, but I also print on glass with hairspray.

As for foil using in engineer.  Ever look at a satellite. See all that gold/silver crinkled stuff?  That is foil. For insulation, to keep a certain amount of heat in, also to keep heat out.

The cardboard box had nothing to do with your extruder melting.  37c is not enough to melt any previously printed part. I can say form my experience with my solidoodle 3 that an enclosure does help emmensly with print shrinkage. Since installing my printer in its box I have yet to have a splitting problem even when printing large vases with only 3 perimeters.

And finally escalating to personal insults will never get you far with a company.  Most companies can easily afford to replace, or take returns on something that plain just doesn't work. But when you made it personal, they did too.  So best of luck too you with your "crap" printer.  If you ever want to get rid of your broken printer I will give you 10cents on the dollar for it.

As for a suggestion on a printer. I would hesitate to suggest anything to you, in the fear of getting hate email in the future.

nlancaster i really like your response, so sensible and nice, your a genuine guy. after my extruder melted i looked over the heat log, or whatever you want to call it, and there were no crazy figures. so i put it back on the advice i got. and then when i did a little further research i noticed that all the printers that were aiming towards the ABS market and had enclosures did not use printed PLA parts in their extruder heads, all metal. its just a really really dumb choice of material. i have a mill at home and i can reproduce the parts in this machine in metal, tops it will take me an hour to get it going. thats neither here nor there, i'm not an employee of their company, i'm not getting paid to remodel, redesign where they have failed. they are not a non profit charity organization. i have had enough crap, if they know that their bed can't reach the specs that it is meant to, and they do, they should provide the parts from the start, yes? but they didn't. i know how to fix all the problems this printer has, and i can do it at my time and leisure, that takes me from being a customer to something completely different. i didn't realize before i began that i would actively have to involve my design skills in getting this printer to work, i'm not in the mood for it. i was hoping to, as fast as possible get my own product on the market, using this as the prototyping tool. and i cant, before i can get my project done i have to fix the issues with this. i'm not happy. like i wrote to jeff, if we can agree on one thing it is that the bed heater is faulty, he has admitted it 100%, i have it in writing. Than surely it cant be my responsibility to pay for the freight to remove this printer from my premises. i received a faulty product, it's your problem jeff, i am not making a loss of $500 measly dollars because you sent me something that could not perform on quite a few levels. its not a personal attack, if it happened with any other company my stance would be the same.

I'm sorry man. If you have the design experience to fix this, then you know full well what it is you bought when you bought it. This is a MendelMax. Its original prototype was designed in a garage. Its control system is the same now as then. It was never 'engineered' to begin with, no one ever made the engineering calculations to determine the correct equipment, it is cobbled together using 80/20 as an improved version of nuts/threaded rod frame. Its control system is an 8bit processor that without multi-threading capability that simultaneously interprets G-code, processes a pseudo PID algorithm, and calculates steps using 8 bit math on a system that has absolutely no motion or process feedback what-so-ever.

I have worked with real extrusion and injection machines, the ones that cost 7 figures. It is a complicated balance of heat, pressure, material choice, colorant mixture, cooling, and precision timing. Each process is handled by its own ARM processor, using feedback from highly precise measurement systems that cost more than even a Bridgeport. Even with this equipment, external factors plague consistency for the results: Ambient humidity, static, impurities of resin that cannot be tested for, etc etc.

You sir, are an example of buyers remorse in full denial. It is obvious that your printer suffered from user error. Its like asking a car dealership to take back a KIA that you smashed into the side of your house when the only problem it had was a crack in the windshield. Just because its not a Mercedes does not give you the right to return the vehicle when you never bothered to learn how to drive.

The heatbed lamination pulled away from the corner. Is it really that hard to fix? Once it happened, instead of trying to fix it, it looks like you kept operating the printer with it pulled away. Your pictures show some nice heat damage from the areas where it did not have the aluminum to sink the heat into. Thats like driving a car without enough oil in it and expecting the dealer to take it back once it starts knocking.

And melting the extruder is on the level of Darwinism. I dont care if it is PLA. That still requires 180C to melt! My best guess is that there is something wrong with the thermistor and I am willing to bet it happened from user error since you have proof that the printer did operate at one point (delaminated layers is still operating condition), so this makes me believe you had something to do with messing up the thermistor wire.

Plain and simple: You are one person out of tens of thousands of people who own these printers (As a whole, that Mendel is just a variation of all the Mendels, Prusas, Makers, etc etc. They are all the same level of engineering as you have stated) and everyone else has figured out how to use them EXCEPT for you. You want a professional printer? Then go buy one from Stratasys. You are probably going to break that one also. And Stratasys wont put up with your inability to operate the unit either. They also wont use Paypal as a payment method, so your warranty will be based upon actual user compliance with a contract that requires you to accept responsibility for your actions.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

i think you are getting a little frustrated. i think you're taking it too personally. i am coming to terms with the fact that this printer was an amateurs attempt. i bought this printer with zero knowledge of what to expect apart from seeing a few printer Yoda heads on a few websights. i make no attempt to hide my lack of 3d printing experience which came to a dramatic halt when the extruder melted. Not one of the printer companies go into detail about the shortcomings of their machines in their advertisements for some reason. i suppose it's not good marketing. one of the first sentences that i got from Makers tool works is "you'll have to lower your expectations". thats pretty funny.
        if jeff had responded to my emails, agreed to send me some gasket silicone, a new bed heater, and an all metal extruder which i can purchase for $50 on ebay, i would be spending my time learning about 3d printing, instead my new hobby is posting replies to MTW associates or fanboys. who are so scared of honest information its not funny.
        there is only one variable that lead to the melting down of the part, that was the enclosure that i was recommended to put on, unless this machine has some other internal faults that i am unaware of, please enlighten me, it will be good for the video.  i am using my critical mind to dissect this thing and when i have compiled adequate knowledge you'll be able to watch my full critique. i will have some design suggestions and tips so MTW get your pens out. looking forward to your future feedback.

i am happy you brought up the car analogy. but its not the correct one. Imagine you bought a brand new car and your driving it home and wheel falls off. you get on your phone, and at the other end the dealer laughs and tells you to go down to autobarn and buy some new nuts to put it back on. and everytime you drive this new car something breaks on it to a point that you no longer want to look at it yet alone risk your life driving it.

You blaming of the enclosure for the melting of the extruder assembly is wrong. Your own post says your printer only got upto 37c PLA does not melt until around 180C. There is no possible way that the enclosure is to blame for the melting of the extruder.  Most melting as your picture show is from an overheating stepper. The weird part of yours, is that part of the extruder that melted, is not even attached to the stepper assembly. And also that your extruder is driven by a geared stepper, which probably wont get hot anyway.  Also the melting on your extruder assembly is localized to the area where the tension print attaches. I see no signs of melting on any other parts of the extruder, or even on the fan mount that is right in the foreground of the picture.  very strange.

I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience, but I suspect I know what may have happened.  If your printer is similar to the Solidoodle, it has a fan attached to the extruder which helps cool the extruder motor and also incidentally helps to move around the air around the vicinity of the hot end.  On rare occasion, my fan fails to spin up due to dust or plastic shavings in the bearings, and I have to nudge it to get it started.  The first time this happened, I didn't notice and printed anyway (in an enclosure) and it caused the metal parts of the extruder to eventually heat up enough that a part of my ABS mk3 extruder (the tension arm) melted and failed. I now always check that the fan is spinning after turning on the printer, just in case.

If you have an extruder fan and it was not connected properly or simply got stuck by some dust or debris, it probably caused the failure in a similar manner.  It might have failed anyway without the enclosure, but adding one would likely have shut out all ambient air movement, guaranteeing that the heat from the hot end would build up locally around the extruder itself instead of the entire enclosure, eventually heating up the metal near the extruder enough to melt the adjoining plastic.

If my theory is correct, then IMHO the company support really did not give you any bad advice based on what they knew.  Adding an enclosure might have ultimately contributed somewhat to the failure, but if I were in the same position, I would not have thought to warn you to make sure your fan was spinning since you'd didn't give any other indications that might point to having that problem.  Adding an enclosure is a pretty standard mod (but incidentally one companies cannot themselves do without running afoul of Stratasys, which still owns a patent on using a temp-controlled enclosure in a 3D printer). 

You could perhaps make the argument that using a fan that has the potential to get stuck is itself a design flaw, but it's also an issue that probably every printer in this class has (as does other equipment like my laptop).

I think we've all had some frustrating problem at one time when we wanted to throw our printers out the window. However, in dealing with their support, it sounds like you might have lost your cool a bit and jumped to a conclusion or two.  As such, I empathize with you, but I'm not surprised that they now aren't eager to please you and you find yourself in a rather unpleasant situation.

i have a fan mounted as designed by mendelmax and it is pointing at the printed piece, there is no fan for cooling the extruder like other enclosed printers have. what i have seen in alot of other printers is an alluminium heat sink with an attached fan, the mendelmax doesn't have this. yes pla may melt completely at 180 c , but i am sure that it does not need to melt completely before the pressure of the spring is enough to deform it. when i noticed the damage i touched the components and they had a gummy feel to them but were not oozing, if that makes any sense. and like i said, i checked over the heat log to see whether the actual extruder head had gone awal, the heighest temp there was 135 c, it is a bit baffling but one thing for certain, i wouldn't design a printer with these kind of temperatures made of PLA parts, its just begging for problems, much like having the Y axis thrusting your model back and forth. it may work once twice but in the end it's fallible. the amount of design issues this thing has i almost find it impossible to believe that they havn't been engineered into the product to create a whole industry around providing new parts continuously as it falls apart. i find it hard to believe that an engineer or product designer could be so stupid on so many levels.

about the fan mount you noticed, that is one that i printed in abs when i first got the printer, thats why it didn't melt

PLA extruder parts and no cooling fan?  Yup, that sounds pretty sub-optimal.

However, I think you do yourself a disservice and set expectations too high when you use the terms engineer or product designer.  My impression is that you bought a printer built in a garage by some enthusiasts, and that many if not most of these printers fit this description.  Yeah, I would ask for some replacement parts too to get up and running again, but IMHO you crossed the line calling them morons and demanding they essentially redesign the printer for you.  They are indeed probably not trained engineers, but it does not make them morons just because your expectations are too high.  However it sounds like you bought a printer with no warranty from guys with unknown expertise without doing much research, and you should have known better, so who is more of a moron here? Since the printer did work at some point, if you can get back to that and improve the design yourself like the rest of us.

23 (edited by ysb 2013-07-28 19:10:44)

when you decide to sell 'something' , printer or other thing, there is no such '..enthusiasts in a garage'...

there is a seller and a buyer.. it's time to stop to excuse this bad practice that is to sell something and expect the buyer to fix the problems itself..they didn't sell it a Do-it-yourself printer kit.

why solidoodle didn't sell their printer in france ? because of 2 things : you CANT sell a product without a warranty, and the warranty is TWO years minimum... we need to be stupid american (or almost canadian for myself) to accept to give solid money for a product without warranty...

a society like solidoodle never pass one year with a such poor design for their printer in france...

it's the same for this mendelmax seller... when i bought something with 4 numbers in the price, i expect that work.. at the first time...

i bought a solidoodle because i was ignorant of how a 3d printer work at this time... now i know... solidoodle will never see my money again because they sell me a prototype... not a finished product...

there is a problem of bed heater... the seller know that there is a problem with it (bad furniture).. why they didn't call the buyer to tell them there is potential problem ?

they said the bed need 'aluminum foil' to heat up ? why there is no aluminum foil at the start on the printer as they know there is a potential problem ...

i don,t want to excuse a bad manipulation of the final user that perhaps 'break' the printer.. but stop trying to said 'it's not the fault of the seller if the printer is badly designed' ....

when my chevrolet aveo had a potential problem with the day light (potential ..), chevrolet sent me a notice and i need to go a garage to change a stupid relay ... it's not the fault of chevrolet... but chevrolet sells me the car... and they call me to change this relay BEFORE i had a serious problem...

24 (edited by nlancaster 2013-07-28 22:47:21)

ysb, I at least am not trying to say its the buyers fault entirely.  It is possible that some things were no designed properly on this machine.  But I have seen many other people with his machine that have had very good success printing with it.  The main problem with the 3d printers we have been buying, is they are not ready for consumer use.  at this price point, they are all prototypes even the great makerbot requires tweaking to get good prints out of it. 

The main problem shoptiludrop09 has had is his attitude when things started to go wrong. Resulting in cursing at the seller and calling them idiots and morons.  We do have a saying in the USA of buyer beware. If you purchase something without being aware of what the that product is going to be like. 

Tough shit.

Maker tool works and solidoodle sell the product as "no warranty"  they for the most part do stand behind the product to replace parts even so. But they would be fully within their rights as a company to say, "aw, its broke?  to bad, see ya."  That would be bad for business and I think solidoodle is getting over the worst of their customer service issues.  From what I have read it seems like makertoolworks tried to give the customer replacement parts, and help to get it working to his satisfaction. But then he goes and does stupid stuff like wrapping the outside of his printer in foil, and his camera also.

it's nice to see that finally someone other than MTW employees are responding to the post, this is going round in circles, nlancaster, read over the Mendelmax webight,where does state:

1.this printer can not print abs because it is not enclosed.
2. this printer head is not designed for abs, the extruder will melt when enclosed
3. our heated bed, is not insulated, and not designed to hit the required 110 c so that abs will stick to it.
4. this will not print straight away, you will have to endure many frustrating hours to get a print out of this etc. etc.....

forget weather it has a warranty, Paypal doesn't care i'll get my money because of false advertising, false advertising is illegal, yes?

and calling an apple an apple, a moron a moron, an idiot an idiot.

the level of frustration i have had with this warrants the language i have used.