1 (edited by 3dgringo 2013-07-20 00:10:05)

Topic: New fully-assembled filastruder (FA36) problems

The connection between the gearbox and the auger coupling (square hole, round peg with a flat cutout) was held together with a washer and a piece of tape, which no longer hold in order to transfer the motion. I got about 2 inches of filament out the end before the auger stopped turning. All the guts work fine, just this transmission problem keeps me from moving ahead. Any suggestions on a fix, short of milling a set screw into this coupling?

Also, the temp controller seems to need to be set to 190 in order to maintain a temp of 180. If you set it to 180 you get a result around 171. Temps hold steady as programmed no problem without any plastic moving through, but then they drop to these numbers when extruding. Dunno if this is what other folks are experiencing.

Also found that the fan's red wire was wrapped around one of the mounting pegs of the gearbox, which prevented me from pulling the fan out enough to be able to mount it properly. Fixed easily but keep an eye out for that on future builds.

2 (edited by jesse 2013-07-20 00:12:10)

Re: New fully-assembled filastruder (FA36) problems

I hot glued the washer into the adapter.  However, my kit is one of the early ones.

I've paged Rob to this thread - he assembled the FA Filastruders, and I'm sure he'll have more input.

The washer is there as a mechanical fuse. Is it possible you tried to extrude at too low of a temperature? At any rate, you can just grab a #8 washer, file down the edge, and reassemble. There's instructions in the kit version on this. I've run a single Filastruder over 400 hours with the washer without any slipping, and several other Filastruders over 200 hours.

You should tilt the fan away from the nozzle 10-15 degrees, and make sure the insulation is slid forward, flush with the nozzle. That should take care of your temperature problems.

Noted about the wiring - Rob's already revised his methods on this.

4 (edited by 3dgringo 2013-07-20 11:54:31)

I don't think the temp was a problem; I made sure to stop the motor if it dropped any lower than 179. It managed to get a few inches of filament through nicely and then the auger stopped turning/started slipping.

I cut a 1" strip from an 8.5" piece of paper, folded it into a shim, and used that as a replacement. Seems to be working great so far.

Still have the temp issues though. Redirected the fan at a 15-degree angle away from the machine. With a good steady extrusion going, I have to set the temp to 193 in order to maintain it at 180-181. Still sometimes it falls to 179/178.

I'm starting to think that this temp controller is bipolar. Now I can't even get it to hold a steady temp with no extrusion, no fan, no motor, just sitting there trying to keep itself hot. Setting it to 180 gets me maybe 170 if I am lucky, and I can hear its relay going dinka-dinka-dink trying to get the temp right but it can't seem to manage. Then it will all of a sudden start to really ramp up and overdo it, and then overdo it for a while, and then it will fall back to its too-cold mood again.

Have you auto tuned the controller?

No. Should I try that and see if it fixes?

Yup!