Topic: Sailfish Firmware

Hi All,

I was browsing through Thingiverse today and stumbled across 'Sailfish Firmware'. The prints that are produced by it are quite amazing, especially for the speed. Has anyone got any idea as to if this will be transferable to our Solidoodles at some stage? Check out thing: 32084. If i could post a link, i would smile

Re: Sailfish Firmware

The member to ask would be Lawsy. The modifications that need to me made to marlin style firmware are quite trivial, so I imagine getting sailfish to work on the Solidoodle might be easy. In general, I would like to see a better solution to this issue, so that Solidoodle users can simply use standard reprap firmware sets.

Issues include:
Solidoodle end stops are different positions
Solidoodle uses a different coordinate system (based in the center, rather than corner)

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

already here :

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/299/alte … e-selfish/

For the record, we are working on getting an official Solidoodle Github for this sort of thing. Don't ask me why it's taking so long - it's a long story.

Thanks Guys,

Out of everything I'm just impressed with how much difference different firmware makes to the print quality. Looking forward to seeing advances in this.

pretenda wrote:

Thanks Guys,

Out of everything I'm just impressed with how much difference different firmware makes to the print quality. Looking forward to seeing advances in this.

This is true. I would still like to see a more atomic break down of the firmware.

The guys behind Sailfish/Jetty have said that they have made some substantial structural changes from Marlin as they have moved forward, so it's not so simple to add their changes back in.  Their firmware is on Github, so I would hope that the Marlin guys are at least trying to take the base algorithms and incorporate them.  I have no idea where they stand on that however.

The Marlin firmware is currently capable of driving the Solidoodle smoothly at high speeds, but doing so while maintaining print quality is another matter.

IanJohnson wrote:

The guys behind Sailfish/Jetty have said that they have made some substantial structural changes from Marlin as they have moved forward, so it's not so simple to add their changes back in.  Their firmware is on Github, so I would hope that the Marlin guys are at least trying to take the base algorithms and incorporate them.  I have no idea where they stand on that however.

The Marlin firmware is currently capable of driving the Solidoodle smoothly at high speeds, but doing so while maintaining print quality is another matter.

We have gotten a lot of requests for Sailfish compatibility, so they must at least be doing a great job of promoting themselves. I would imagine that the changes to make it Solidoodle friendly would be trivial.