Topic: threads

hi,
has anyone tried to print parts that have threads in them - nut and bolt - is this possible?
roger.

Re: threads

I printed a nut and bolt and it came out fine, but I recommend having a higher infill % to make it stronger.

hello brad,
what size did you make it - i am look in at M20
did you use a normal thread pitch (ie. 2mm) or a bigger plastic pitch
do you have any photographs of it?
regards,
roger.

roger wall wrote:

hi,
has anyone tried to print parts that have threads in them - nut and bolt - is this possible?
roger.

Please post pictures if you get it to work - we haven't seen many of these done.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

You'd have to take into consideration the inside diameters tend to run a little small and build that into your model.  I could model some up if someone wants to print them as tests, I'm short on printing time for a little while at home while I'm printing some stuff of my own.

Someone print these and see how it goes.

Post's attachments

M20 BOLT.STL 127.23 kb, 31 downloads since 2012-10-18 

M20 NUT.STL 52.82 kb, 26 downloads since 2012-10-18 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I would post pictures but my brother decided to break it by tightening the nut on the end until it snapped.

thanks everybody - have found some on thingiverse as well
roger.

Brad wrote:

I would post pictures but my brother decided to break it by tightening the nut on the end until it snapped.

so life goes.

10 (edited by jooshs 2012-10-19 23:49:28)

Am I the only one not seeing threads in the nut?  I'm assuming its just as a demo. It came out looking great though.

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 951.54 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-10-19 

image.jpg 1.25 mb, 2 downloads since 2012-10-19 

I had to print a threaded bushing reducer for this lamp I am building. It works great at .2 mm layers!  Threaded parts definitively do work. Ill test smaller pieces soon.

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 1.67 mb, 3 downloads since 2012-10-20 

jooshs wrote:

I had to print a threaded bushing reducer for this lamp I am building. It works great at .2 mm layers!  Threaded parts definitively do work. Ill test smaller pieces soon.

Very nice! We always get inquiries about threaded parts, and I know this will put some users at ease. May we use these pictures?

They look great...

How about a spring?

Post's attachments

SPRING.STL 991.29 kb, 19 downloads since 2012-10-24 

Or a shoulder screw :-)

Post's attachments

SHOULDER SCREW.STL 115.32 kb, 20 downloads since 2012-10-24 

macmub wrote:

They look great...

How about a spring?

Very nice! This might make a nice 3Dprinting challenge.

macmub wrote:

You're not in Tool & Die trade are you?

BTW your shoulder screw isn't really a thread, it's just ridges.

solidoodlesupport wrote:
jooshs wrote:

Very nice! We always get inquiries about threaded parts, and I know this will put some users at ease. May we use these pictures?

No problem

cmetzel wrote:
macmub wrote:

Yeh, I use key creator for all my fasteners & mechanical elements when im modelling a tool.
Looks like it just creates ridges, I think theyre the right pitch, just not a proper helix thread.
Ive never really had to worry about whether it creates a proper thread or not as its a just a visual representation on the model.

I imagine with the little give from the plastic these nuts and bolts would screw together anyway.

macmub wrote:
cmetzel wrote:
macmub wrote:

Yeh, I use key creator for all my fasteners & mechanical elements when im modelling a tool.
Looks like it just creates ridges, I think theyre the right pitch, just not a proper helix thread.
Ive never really had to worry about whether it creates a proper thread or not as its a just a visual representation on the model.

I imagine with the little give from the plastic these nuts and bolts would screw together anyway.

It would be awesome if you wrote a quick article on threaded part design in the Wiki.

macmub wrote:
cmetzel wrote:
macmub wrote:

I spent 15 years or so as a die designer / automation designer, nice to have a fellow tradesman on board. 
Designed with Autocad and an addon called Diemaker for many years, then solidworks with Logopress3 addon, now I'm not as hands on designing but still involved in tooling all day every day.

Oh nice,

Using Mastercam, Solidworks, Keycreator & a little Unigraphics.
Im 27 now, been doing this since I was 14.

Love it!

macmub wrote:

Oh nice,

Using Mastercam, Solidworks, Keycreator & a little Unigraphics.
Im 27 now, been doing this since I was 14.

Love it!

Do you use your Solidoodle for work?

solidoodlesupport wrote:

Do you use your Solidoodle for work?

I have been selling some parts to my work, we buy 3d printed models of the metal stampings we make.  Hope to sell them more and more once I get the accuracy dialed in a little better.

We will be yes.

Any tool we make has to have a gauge to suit.

Those gauges have alot of small aluminium blocks/raisers etc that clamps etc mount onto...the solidoodle will make these for us in the future, literally saving days and $$$

Also for any smallish plastic injection tools, we can now prototype up parts...customers will flip over that!! 3d printing in melbourne isnt overly big, there are only 3-4 companies in the whole city that offer 3d printing services, and they charge like wounded bulls!!!

Im sure once we get the printer and start merging it with our normal manufacturing routines we will find even more uses for it.

macmub wrote:

We will be yes.

Any tool we make has to have a gauge to suit.

Those gauges have alot of small aluminium blocks/raisers etc that clamps etc mount onto...the solidoodle will make these for us in the future, literally saving days and $$$

Also for any smallish plastic injection tools, we can now prototype up parts...customers will flip over that!! 3d printing in melbourne isnt overly big, there are only 3-4 companies in the whole city that offer 3d printing services, and they charge like wounded bulls!!!

Im sure once we get the printer and start merging it with our normal manufacturing routines we will find even more uses for it.

"charge like wounded balls" - that's my quote for the day. Tell us if this works out. We are always happy to publicize your achievements on the Solidoodle official website.