Topic: Number 166 up and running

Finished my Filastruder on Sunday and already extruded all the included plastic. Works fine after fixing some minor issues:

Didn't cover the brass nozzle with insulation at first, resulting in some temperature problems. Couldn't even reach 180 C.

The motor torque tightened the pipe in the flange and almost spilled the contents of the hopper on the floor... had to take the bolts off and reorient it. How are everyone's hoppers vertical, have they just been adjusted to vertical even though the feed hole in the pipe isn't pointing straight up?

After fixing these it worked fine. I used some ideas from Thingiverse to make a more compact setup (I'm always critically low on tabletop real estate...)

I have a 2.8 mm hole in the nozzle and got 2.85+-0.05 filament when letting it pile on the floor randomly from a height of 150 cm, at temperature of 185 C.

The Sestos controller needed to have the Ctrl set to 2 in the settings to enter autotune mode. After autotuning, the temperature is very stable (+-0.2 C or so).

Is the published output rate of 1 kg per abour 24 hours for 1.75 mm filament? I'm making 3 mm filament and the rate seemed to be quite a bit higher than that.

I found granules of Bayblend T85 on ebay.de, and should be getting 20 kg of those shortly. It's an ABS-polycarbonate blend. Will report on how it works (or doesn't).

Picture of the Filastruder #166 in the attachment.

Post's attachments

9304289055_3d83134bb6_b.jpg 265.41 kb, 1 downloads since 2013-07-17 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Number 166 up and running

Lookin' great!

have they just been adjusted to vertical even though the feed hole in the pipe isn't pointing straight up?

Yes.

The published rate is 2-5lbs per 24 hours, and that's for 1.75mm filament. 3.0mm filament should be about 50% faster.

Bayblend has a decent MFI, but at a higher temperature, This may be of use to you:

http://www.soliforum.com/post/29025/#p29025

Re: Number 166 up and running

I have an extra 18V power supply laying around, I can use that if the Bayblend doesn't extrude using the stock heater.

Printing with the freshly made filament went well, except for one suprise. I used the measured 2.85 mm diameter in the slicer, but when printing, it was apparent that the printer was pushing too much plastic. I checked the filament again and turns out that none of the previous measurements were in the direction which is radial to the filament's curvature. That dimension was about 0.2 mm thicker than the other, so the filament is a bit oval in cross-section, and the average of the diameters is actually 2.95. I did a new print with that diameter and the extrusion was pretty much spot on.

Has anyone else ended up with oval filament?